View Full Version : excalbur vs exterminator vs black widow shell

burgerfiredept
04-11-2012, 07:51 PM
What is everyone's preference on what the best consumer grade shell is. I have used all of the above 3 and love the black widow from RGS.

displayfireworks1
04-11-2012, 08:25 PM
I am not trying to be rude but that scenario is kind of “played out” over the years so to speak. I would tell you not to trust the performance of any brand or type of consumer fireworks from one year to the next. What can sound sounds and look great one year can be weak the next year. In addition, it will carry the same label. People that really know consumer fireworks will cite years of production. An example is (insert name here) is from 2008 and is flash broke or black powder broke. If a fireworks label can get a few over loaded flash broke products out there, the reputation can last for years. Even though they may have only been good for one year.
My experience lately has been that in the 1.75 artillery shell class I am purchasing mainly canister shells. After I really examined things lately , it appear that if you take a typical 1.75 ball shell there is only a limited amount of composition that will physically fit in the space of the ball. However if you look at a canister shell the physical space can be adjusted with the placement of the plugs. I often wonder when the artillery shell first hit the consumer market was the 1.75 size selected because it could only hold the legal amount of composition without extensive weighting of the composition. Just sort of, scoop and fill so to speak. In my primitive assessment of things, this limits a 1.75 ball shell in many ways. Large stars are out of the question or very few can be added. You would almost have to add metals into the break composition to make it sound better. This is a no no here in United States, however it still occurs.

burgerfiredept
04-11-2012, 08:42 PM
I agree 100% on the canister shell part. I had last years version of both the exterminator and black widow. Both were awesome, however the black widow seemed to have a lot bigger diameter of break.

coachtimmyj
04-11-2012, 09:00 PM
If what you're into is big, loud, sloppy as hell breaks, then any of the top canister shells will do...exterminator, excal, s&m, pyro predator, black widow, the list goes on and on. We have shot can after can time and time again and have yet to have anyone guess which can was which more than half the time (in other words, guys who know shells can't tell the difference most of the time from one brand to another when shot one after another).

That being said, if you want a truly professional looking show, stick to high end ball shells, low shot count 500 grammers, and single shot ball inserts for your big breaks. I've used cans in finales before and they were okay (I have to admit, the sound of cans ripping out of the mortars finale style is hard not to like), but I would never use them in the body of my show. There are plenty of ball shells, cakes, and single shot tubes out there which will match the break size of cans, but will look so much better in the sky. Just my opinion.

My experience lately has been that in the 1.75 artillery shell class I am purchasing mainly canister shells. After I really examined things lately , it appear that if you take a typical 1.75 ball shell there is only a limited amount of composition that will physically fit in the space of the ball. However if you look at a canister shell the physical space can be adjusted with the placement of the plugs. I often wonder when the artillery shell first hit the consumer market was the 1.75 size selected because it could only hold the legal amount of composition without extensive weighting of the composition. Just sort of, scoop and fill so to speak. In my primitive assessment of things, this limits a 1.75 ball shell in many ways. Large stars are out of the question or very few can be added. You would almost have to add metals into the break composition to make it sound better. This is a no no here in United States, however it still occurs.

You're definitely right about the physical size limitations of 1.75" artillery shells. Most barely have 60% of the legal limit in them because that's about all you can fit in there. Most cans don't have the legal limit in them either (most average around 48-55 grams) but are definitely closer than a consumer artillery shell. The downside to the way cans are constructed is there is no way possible to arrange the stars to get any kind of consistently spherical break which means everything in the true beauty of fireworks imo.

Minishow
04-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Personaly this year I will be keeping an eye out for any cans with effects in the lift, I've found some bootleg ones that say "stars in the lift" but I don't wanna chance getting ripped off by "no name brand" stuff.

burgerfiredept
05-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Personaly this year I will be keeping an eye out for any cans with effects in the lift, I've found some bootleg ones that say "stars in the lift" but I don't wanna chance getting ripped off by "no name brand" stuff.

There is a shell out called double duty by rgs, probably a rewrap of someone. It launches with a sweet mine effect into a decent break.

indianahx
05-21-2012, 07:59 AM
There is a shell out called double duty by rgs, probably a rewrap of someone. It launches with a sweet mine effect into a decent break.

sounds like a zillionaire maybe? that's the best known, or more commonly heard of one that i know of that has mine break to ball shell...

rcerone1979
05-21-2012, 11:55 AM
I will tell you this, Bigs HD shells (the neons) are distinguishable from any other canister shell.

Rare_Breed
05-21-2012, 06:02 PM
I'd have to say any of those you mentioned, or any other "premium" canister... I would consider the best to be whichever one I could get at the best price. They're all pretty much the same, Loud lift, Loud break, lack of great effects. Good for the Finale but not worth considering for the body of the show.

Ball shells would be my preference, my favorite being Golden One which is similar to zillionaire (mine to break). Pretty decent mine and beautiful breaks with nice symmetrical effects.

PyroMonkey
05-21-2012, 06:43 PM
I wish I could remember the name of them... but I bought some canister shells at PGI last year (available through a few retailers) that are packaged in a tall, thin, red box. I believe they're packed 24 in a box. They're not shaped like the "premium" canisters, but more like a Rambo Kid. They're not weighted down with clay, like some of the extra-long canisters, either. But the real difference is that they're broken with whistle, not flash — and evidently not regulated as such. They have surprisingly symmetrical and large breaks, and a good variety of effects. Maybe someone else will know which product I'm referring to.

boilermaker1991
05-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Possibly the Nuclear Canister Shells BIGs sells.

mrmikemartin
05-23-2012, 07:26 PM
What about Smoke -n- Mirrors. They seem to have a pretty good variety of effects. Nice lift sound also.

rrumlow
05-24-2012, 01:37 AM
[QUOTE=boilermaker1991;10686]Possibly the Nuclear Canister Shells BIGs sells.[/QUOTE

no kk supermags

GAPyro
05-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Black widows are very nice, but are are not very symmetrical as with most consumer canister shells... For the price you can't go wrong with them