PDA

View Full Version : IGNITE now on AP Education Certificate

displayfireworks1
05-06-2024, 08:18 PM
IGNITE now on AP Education Certificate

I will announce it here first. After discussion with some people in the industry I am adding a separate Articles of Pyrotechnic database education program certificate for IGNITE users. Please see the distributors listed that will accept the education certificate towards purchase of the new “Pro Products”. Of course the distributors may also have additional documents for your review.
To purchase visit this link.

https://www.pyrotalk.com/ap-ignite.php

jamisonlm3
05-07-2024, 06:15 PM
If you don't mind me asking, why the change of heart? I thought ignite was considered a consumer system? Besides a number of other issues, it's limited to 6 modules and a max of 216 cues.

KELLFIRE mike
05-07-2024, 08:38 PM
I think the key factor is a lot of 1.4 pro has e-ports and/or requires initiators to set them off. This looks like the verbiage which I think just had COBRA system knowledge listed now allows the consumer IGNITE system to be accepted for the 1.4 pro. Which definitely will work for a small show depending on how intricate you want to get.

KDirk
05-07-2024, 11:59 PM
I don't really have a problem with this even though I bought Cobra hardware to start. Ignite wasn't out yet when I made my initial foray into electronic firing, and I'd not have bought Ignite in lieu of one of the more professional grade systems anyway, because that's just how I roll. I did consider Firelinx initially (and am still considering buying some in addition to my Cobra hardware, though I prefer the higher cue count modules and slat setups available with Cobra, versus on board cues of Firelinx). Anyway, if this gets more exposure and sales of AP product such that it becomes more widely available and and at more competitive pricing, I'm all for it.

The only downside I see is the possibility of less serious users doing unsafe things that end up making AP product subject to greater scrutiny and regulation as a result. When the bar to entry was higher (requiring one of the pro grade firing systems with their attendant cost) I figure there was probably a more serious class of user, and this would (hopefully) translate into less cut corners and stupid stuff going on. While Ignite isn't exactly cheap, it does now make AP more readily accessible at lower cost of entry, with this announcement. Guess we'll see what happens if AP on Ignite gains any real traction.

Birdman
05-09-2024, 11:33 AM
The only downside I see is the possibility of less serious users doing unsafe things that end up making AP product subject to greater scrutiny and regulation as a result. When the bar to entry was higher (requiring one of the pro grade firing systems with their attendant cost) I figure there was probably a more serious class of user, and this would (hopefully) translate into less cut corners and stupid stuff going on. While Ignite isn't exactly cheap, it does now make AP more readily accessible at lower cost of entry, with this announcement. Guess we'll see what happens if AP on Ignite gains any real traction.

My thought is if people are going to be able to get their hands on them and use them at least they have a rather affordable option to fire these products as intended. I think this could lead people to take a more serious approach to the hobby. That could only be a positive.

BMoore
05-10-2024, 03:24 PM
I have mixed feelings. On one hand I totally understand the firing system prerequisite as a quick way, without knowing any facts about a person, to make a judgement as to whether that individual is an advanced user or a casual user of pyrotechnics. To that end then yes, keeping the bar raised to professional systems only and not consumer systems will in theory help keep AP out of the wrong hands. On the other hand, I had my ATF license and was shooting 1.3 for a year before I bought a firing system. I'd almost argue that knowing how to fuse and safely hand fire requires more proficient techniques than e-firing. Even with e-firing, all it really takes is a $30 Chinese system or even just a 9V battery to safely get product in the air depending on what you are trying to do. It's really a tough call.

In the meantime, I know there are advanced users using ignite that aren't ready to make the full leap into a professional system. I understand that as well and really hope they can benefit from this opportunity.

KELLFIRE mike
05-10-2024, 06:22 PM
I think every one in the industry knows that having a firing system doesn't make you a professional. I think the issue the industry has is trying to show a "professional" buying the item and covering their butt if an accident happens with out requiring schooling. I know we have had people with a new ATF license that purchased a 10" and didn't even know you needed a mortar tube!