PDA

View Full Version : Question: How to get Flying Fish Fuses to light reliably

SkySparky
04-10-2024, 07:22 PM
Its my second year of doing pyro and i just got my hands on some silver flying fish fuse, but i have a slight problem. I can't get them to reliably light after testing them in a small star mine setup. Do i need to coat them in primer or BP Slurry before I use them in a ball shell, or am i overthinking this?

Thanks,
SkySparky

RalphieJ
04-11-2024, 03:28 PM
Its my second year of doing pyro and i just got my hands on some silver flying fish fuse, but i have a slight problem. I can't get them to reliably light after testing them in a small star mine setup. Do i need to coat them in primer or BP Slurry before I use them in a ball shell, or am i overthinking this?

Thanks,
SkySparky

When I made inserts with visco fuse for aerial shells, I would cross-cut the visco 1/16 of an inch, exposing the BP core. Although it would be tedious and time-consuming for your application, I believe it would guarantee ignition.

displayfireworks1
04-11-2024, 05:26 PM
When I made inserts with visco fuse for aerial shells, I would cross-cut the visco 1/16 of an inch, exposing the BP core. Although it would be tedious and time-consuming for your application, I believe it would guarantee ignition.

I was thinking that same thing. If it is a type of Visco fuse, remember Visco is resistant to side ignition.

SkySparky
04-11-2024, 07:06 PM
Thanks, Ill have to try that out!

chris v
05-10-2024, 11:55 AM
Also you can dip 1 end in a BP/red gum slurry that usually works