PDA

View Full Version : Canister sizes

clayrobins
03-30-2024, 02:35 PM
Purely 1.4g reloadable canister shells…what is the point of 4 vs 5 vs 6 inch shells? As I understand, they’re all limited to 60gram. So it’s just a larger weight tube to lift. What am I missing?

PyroFL
03-30-2024, 05:43 PM
You’re not missing anything at all. Seems like you fully get it!

It’s just marketing to people that don’t know any better.

NEXT …

BMoore
03-30-2024, 08:20 PM
It’s primarily a marketing gimmick. A side effect is that the added weight can make the shell break lower creating an illusion of a bigger and louder break. There are some really good 60g shells in the larger sizes so don’t assume it’s a total scam. There are good shells and bad shells in all sizes. Buy what you like and don’t pay attention to how tall the shell is. A true pyro knows shells are measured in diameter, not height.

fatcat
04-02-2024, 08:47 PM
It has been a few years since we fired anything due to change in location , but are Excaliber still the cannister shells that everbody compares other shells to? Just wondering.

BMoore
04-04-2024, 08:43 AM
It has been a few years since we fired anything due to change in location , but are Excaliber still the cannister shells that everbody compares other shells to? Just wondering.

Not really. There are so many 60g shells on the market these days with fluctuating quality from year to year, it would be hard to pick a standard to compare to. I'd consider to Excals to be an average shell. There is an Excalibur Platinum shell that I bought a case of last year and I will so that those were pretty nice shells.

Scotty Rockets
04-13-2024, 10:44 AM
Your taller canisters come with premium stars/effects so take that into consideration when choosing to purchase shell kits. The shorter shells have older dated effects most times. Still the composition is the same, a 4” will hold the maximum total weight of 60 grams.

displayfireworks1
04-13-2024, 09:30 PM
When this all started there was deception. Here is a video (now unlisted) I made 4 years ago. Notice how generic the wrapping is on this shell. My suggestion is to be suspicious of generic looking products with lower prices. Not all canister shells are created equal. Although now in 2024 you may not see this sort of thing as much as it occurred 4 years ago.
Now Unlisted from 4 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq3YyDvaVu8

jamisonlm3
04-17-2024, 03:22 PM
Purely 1.4g reloadable canister shells…what is the point of 4 vs 5 vs 6 inch shells? As I understand, they’re all limited to 60gram. So it’s just a larger weight tube to lift. What am I missing?Their main purpose is to seperate people from their money. A 4" shell can easily hold 60g, but the vast majority of shells on the market only have round 50g.

BMoore
04-18-2024, 12:43 PM
Their main purpose is to seperate people from their money. A 4" shell can easily hold 60g, but the vast majority of shells on the market only have round 50g.

True, but it didn't start out that way. The first 5" 60G shells (Black Widows if I remember correctly) were truly premium shells designed to be exactly 60G. I don't recall if the larger shell was due to a manufacturing reason or just the marketing campaign, but people were weighing the shell contents and they were hitting exactly 60G every time. It didn't take long for the other players to cash in on the "bigger must be better" gimmick while not increasing the composition.