View Full Version : is it legal to buy fireworks from a place and use a rental truck (like uhaul, etc)

Icooclast
03-11-2024, 06:08 AM
or does one still need to have special drivers/hazard permits? that would also be nice for people to come here to check out those things and how it all breaks down. thanks in advance. much appreciated

Salutecake
03-11-2024, 07:40 AM
Well if your taking about 1.4 and you are not in commerce I wouldn't think so but I'm sure other people here have a better hold on those rules. Perhaps there is a weight limit but I'm not sure about 1.4, I do no many times I have loaded up a trailer and drove through Ohio and PA
2 other things to condider -- uhaul is generally not fireworks friendly and I know one company is but not sure if they advertize here soI won't mention there name - but I know you can see the names on the trucks that Dave has used in his videos.
Consider having them shipped -- renting a truck - time and distance - gas expenses along the way -- with me from PA to your state it is really close in cost and I own a trailer and retired, but still if the shipping rate is right Ship it -- also if you go that way you might need to specify a truck with a tailgate to unload at your house or if you have a loading dock.

displayfireworks1
03-11-2024, 08:31 AM
You do not need a Hazmat driver license if you are not in business. I do not believe you necessarily need to tell UHaul the reason you need the vehicle but I would be willing to bet it is in the fine print not to haul explosives. Budget truck rental seems fireworks friendly from what I see. I suspect if the police pull you over you would arouse suspicion. People that bootleg fireworks from one state to another frequently do this. All you need to do is check out the parking lots of retail locations in the week before the July 4th holiday. Although most are pulling trailers. If this is all for personal use , it should not be a problem on a regular drivers license. However as soon as you start selling the fireworks and/or selling fireworks displays , you need to follow a whole other set of rules.

Icooclast
03-11-2024, 10:34 AM
that sounds good, and i already hear someone was asked what they were moving when trying to rent a truck, and they refused to let him rent one for that. so if i do get the opportunity; i'll just say we're moving a friend or something. i am not a big fan of lying, but technically friends and i would be moving a buddy. just my fireworks to my house. lol - this imo would be a white lie. imo

what about 1.4 pro, is it the same thing for pro as far as transport goes?

also;i heard on another site long ago that there is an interstate commerce law that states something like: as long as a product is legal in the state it's going to, it is perfectly fine to travel through a state that bans an item/product, if you are going to a state where it is legal. can't remember much more than that, anyone have any ideas or know if the law is still hasn't changed or been erased or something?

once again; thanks in advance

displayfireworks1
03-11-2024, 08:00 PM
You will never be able to bootleg fireworks, you ask too many questions. You live in Ohio . Fireworks are now legal in Ohio. Just go buy some.

Icooclast
03-12-2024, 05:43 AM
i wasn't trying to bootleg them or anything. just was curious is all.

BMoore
03-12-2024, 12:35 PM
that sounds good, and i already hear someone was asked what they were moving when trying to rent a truck, and they refused to let him rent one for that. so if i do get the opportunity; i'll just say we're moving a friend or something. i am not a big fan of lying, but technically friends and i would be moving a buddy. just my fireworks to my house. lol - this imo would be a white lie. imo

what about 1.4 pro, is it the same thing for pro as far as transport goes?

also;i heard on another site long ago that there is an interstate commerce law that states something like: as long as a product is legal in the state it's going to, it is perfectly fine to travel through a state that bans an item/product, if you are going to a state where it is legal. can't remember much more than that, anyone have any ideas or know if the law is still hasn't changed or been erased or something?

once again; thanks in advance

UHaul fine print disallows transport of explosives or flammables. Go to any major fireworks distributor over July 4th weekend and it will look like a UHaul convention. Draw your own conclusions.

1.4 pro is consumer product so no differences in transport laws. This may change in the future.

Interstate commerce comes into play while products are in commerce. Once you as the consumer pick up product for personal use interstate commerce has ended. For federal purposes it has been ruled that firework transportation from one legal state to another legal state is legal. At the state level, it depends on how the state statutes are written. There are instances where crossing the state line into an illegal state will technically put you in an illegal possession situation. I've only ever heard of the law going after people who live in the illegal state. As Dave said, you are in Ohio and consumer fireworks are legal in OH and OH has lot of great retailers and distributors. If you are concerned, just buy within the state and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Icooclast
03-12-2024, 04:01 PM
UHaul fine print disallows transport of explosives or flammables. Go to any major fireworks distributor over July 4th weekend and it will look like a UHaul convention. Draw your own conclusions.

1.4 pro is consumer product so no differences in transport laws. This may change in the future.

Interstate commerce comes into play while products are in commerce. Once you as the consumer pick up product for personal use interstate commerce has ended. For federal purposes it has been ruled that firework transportation from one legal state to another legal state is legal. At the state level, it depends on how the state statutes are written. There are instances where crossing the state line into an illegal state will technically put you in an illegal possession situation. I've only ever heard of the law going after people who live in the illegal state. As Dave said, you are in Ohio and consumer fireworks are legal in OH and OH has lot of great retailers and distributors. If you are concerned, just buy within the state and you'll have nothing to worry about.

very informative, thanks

i am not here to do anything illegal, hell, other than downloading music on napster and such. the only illegal i have ever done was light fireworks. (unless you count things like jaywalking, lol)

anyway thanks a million for the info. very helpful :)