PDA

View Full Version : Gas Mine for Dummies

BlueJuicer22
02-03-2024, 11:24 PM
Longish time listener, first time caller. I’ve been watching some pyromusical videos and thinking of ways to take it to the next level. The gas mines I’ve seen look awesome but I have no idea where to start. Would anyone mind taking the time to ELI5 how to go about making one?

PyroFL
02-04-2024, 06:15 AM
First safety, next safety and last safety.

That about sums it up.

If you look on YouTube you will find videos from pros but no formula per say.

Depending on the tub size you’re using, depends how much powder you need so there isn’t a one fit all answer.

There is a lot of information on the forum depending on what you’re looking to do.

First question to answer is do you have a safe place to do it. Have you made measurements to see if it’s safe. Where will your audience be at and is it a safe distance? What are those safe distances?

When you get those answers then you will have an idea of the size gun you can use safely and how much powder you would need.

Purchase your gas mine (gun)
Fuel … some guys use a mix, some guys use water and others don’t
Titanium, order a bag so you don’t have raining fuel
Order the correct powder

Do you have a firing system yet?

PyroFL
02-04-2024, 06:35 AM
Your first question on the forum is basically how to build a bomb.

If I was to guess you’re not going to get to many straight answers.

DAVE: Please feel free to delete this answer if you see fit.

Birdman
02-04-2024, 08:51 AM
I agree, this one of those questions that if someone has to ask it then it is probably best not to try and answer it. I believe this is something you really need to learn from someone with experience in the field. YouTube videos may be the next best thing but there is no substitute for hands on training where you can ask questions and see how these things perform for yourself. Once you have the basics down then asking specific questions here would make more sense. The "Fireworks Manufacturing" forum seems the more appropriate place to discuss these devices.

PyroFL
02-04-2024, 10:54 AM
BlueJuicer22

I don’t see what part of the world you’re from?

If you’re in the central Florida area we have a safe place we could do some testing and go over the do’s and do not’s.

Birdman brings up a good point.

You could also look for a pyro club by you or even ask on this forum to see who lives by you.

Most of everyone here is very helpful

topshelfpyro
02-04-2024, 01:07 PM
If you don't want fire on the ground use water in the bottom.
Learn how to make the charges.
Use real black powder not pyrodex etc
I would suggest learning from someone with experience before "just buying some stuff and seeing what happens"

displayfireworks1
02-04-2024, 03:45 PM
Lighten up a little on the build a bomb stuff, accusing people of making bombs has that PyroU ring to it. We certainly don't want to lead someone into danger and it also would be nice if new users would outline a little of their experience with pyrotechnics on their first post. As far as the gasoline mines , they are gaining popularity, I believe there are people selling and making them. Bill Corbett teaches classes about these devices. I covered them in some of my Sportsman Club videos. Also search it out on the forums on pyrotalk. If you new a better approach would be do the research and ask questions on parts of what you do not understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGPRbqnmd44

BlueJuicer22
02-05-2024, 04:58 AM
Yea I thought it might go over this way but I figured I’ll never learn anything if I never ask right? I do have a full Cobra system and have done an in person PGI shooters course. I had read through a lot of the posts here on the matter but nothing seemed to have a step by step way to start down that path and I didn’t want to try a “trial and error” approach.

I watched the Bill Corbett video but my question was more about stuff like composition. I saw some stuff about water, powder and titanium but I have no idea how that works as all I do is efire ready made articles. I don’t DIY. As recommended, it’s probably something best to have taught in person so I’ll probably try to learn more about the subject at Cobra Con. Thanks for the replies guys.

BlueJuicer22
02-05-2024, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the suggestions Dave.

PyroFL
02-05-2024, 10:53 AM
water, powder and titanium

- The water is used as a Wad like in a shotgun shell to push all the fuel out. Some don’t bother with this as they see it as a waste of time if they’re going to shot them off rather soon.

The reason not to just use fuel, is it will slowly eat away at your powder packaging of whatever you pick to use and soak your powder making it non useable.

Personally I always do it no matter what and seal mine in a plastic bottles with boat epoxy. Some guys use aquarium glue but living in Florida it wouldn’t ever dry in time.

- Powder, there is a few opinions and depending on what look and effect you’re looking to do will depend which one you would use.

- titanium, you have seen a sparkler, its basically doing the same thing as its ejected from the tub. As it travels through the air it’s igniting and sparking, in return lighting more and more fuel to keep it from raining down.

When I was being trained I was told you only need a pinch but I always use a lot more. Some see it as a waste but to me it’s not worth watching a fire in the middle of the show on the ground. A few extra pinches it’s going to hurt anything.

Arclight
02-05-2024, 12:51 PM
The "Hollywood shot" you see in movies where a wall of fire blows up behind the heroes can either be a row of gas mines or a row of mile jugs full of gas with 2-3 of detcord looped under each one. Detonating cord is like high-explosive rope, detonating at around 24,000 feet per second. It also makes a big yellow flame, so it will usually ignite the fuel. I like to tape a bottle of gunpowder with Al or Ti mixed in it to make a nice, hot sparkler to ensure if all burns. Too much explosive will actually blow out the fire and result in a stinky rain of unburned fuel.

markcockrell
02-05-2024, 05:26 PM
I just wanted to chime in to say that, while I'm nowhere near ready to actually try one of these things, I'm finding this discussion very enlightening. Thanks for posing the question, and thanks for the responses.

displayfireworks1
02-05-2024, 10:24 PM
I just wanted to chime in to say that, while I'm nowhere near ready to actually try one of these things, I'm finding this discussion very enlightening. Thanks for posing the question, and thanks for the responses.

Thanks for commenting . It nice to hear from those that don't always post comments but still read the forums. I know they are many fireworks/pyrotechnic enthusiasts out there seeking knowledge. Hopefully the pyrotalk forums and various videos can teach you something and satisfy some of that curiosity.