PDA

View Full Version : Value of PGI Training Class

Bitzan
01-25-2024, 02:52 PM
Curious what folks think about the value of taking a PGI training course. Is there good information beyond what one gets in Dave's DVD and the basic studying for ATF permit? Please don't misunderstand my question - there is always value in learning and RE-learning about safety in fireworks. At my age being reminded of things I knew and have forgotten is every bit as valuable as learning new. Just curious how this group perceives the value of the class (one near me and deciding whether or not to attend). Thanks in advance for taking the time to share your experience.

Salutecake
01-25-2024, 04:07 PM
To me, if your going to get in to something, especially something that deals with explosives, you should take the training, but getting into any type of hobby or business training is always a good idea. As far as book learning goes, the PGI course is pretty complete and it does have a hands on exercise at the end andsome neat demos, but I think it could have a bit more hands on practices. I don't take it every year but in order to keep my PGI cert up, I think it's what every three years. And the course does change in content, not drastically but changes are made. Probably for us older people and hobbyist that don't shoot a lot, the book is always a nice handy reference.
I can't say how it compares with Daves DVD, I am assuming you mean his Pro course, and if so, I would imagine that Dave's course deals more with the pro stuff and the PGI course is more for 1.3.

For anyone that thinks they may want to get into the 1.3 end, find a company you can shoot with, take the PGI course and then come back and get Dave's DVD (if he still has it) to help fill out the ATF forms.
For the Pro stuff, if your into consumer stuff, the next step will probably be the Pro stuff so why not go for it.

displayfireworks1
01-25-2024, 04:12 PM
A common misunderstanding abut the PGI course is that it allows you to purchase 1.3 fireworks , it does not. It also does not teach you how to get an ATF license. Further it does not teach about Articles of Pyrotechnics. I approached the PGI about adding Articles of Pyrotechnics and what I have to offer . They told me they have no interest in adding Articles of Pyrotechnics , they want to keep their training strictly Display Fireworks. If you want to learn about display fireworks , it may be of value to you. As a matter of fact if memory serves me correctly, it also does not teach about fireworks firing systems.
Speaking of the PGI course you would think over the years with all the untoward events I have captured on video they could add into their course like real-time hang fires, low breaks , shells loaded upside down , delayed fire. mortars blow apart etc. I have a whole page on the website dedicated to such events. They instead half ass simulate it and/or may not add it at all. There goal last I checked is to advocate for people that want to make fireworks and not necessarily those that want to display fireworks.

jknepp1954
01-25-2024, 08:45 PM
First of all - you have 2 totally different courses for 2 totally different reasons of taking each course......
PGI classes are designed specifically for the 1.3g world only. yes you can use "SOME OF THE SAME CONCEPTS" and apply it to 1.4g and 1.4s pro/articles of pyrotecnics. We at Kneppy's Fireworks has just decided to have PGI classes on the same date as our 20th Demo on May 4, 2024. As Dave said above it DOES NOT ALLOW the purchase of 1.3.
I do highly recommend taking the class if handling 1.3g If for nothing else - looks good on your RESUME`

DAVES COURSE - i have not looked into his course (sorry Dave). But from talking to those who took it was well worth it for learning the proper ways of use and set up of 1.4 Article and/or Proline.

BMoore
01-26-2024, 10:45 AM
If you intend to handle 1.3 product, then absolutely take some sort of hands on training. Dave's program is awesome at explaining the licensing process and general education, but I would classify this as "classroom" training. Extremely important, but like anything else, to become proficient you really need both classroom and hands-on training. Whether it be a PGI course, shooter school, joining a club or working on a pro crew, the experience you gain from working side by side with professionals is invaluable.

Remember, these are regulated explosives we are talking about, not backyard toys. Will your guests/audience feel more comfortable if you have experience and training or will they be ok knowing you learned everything you know off the computer?

Salutecake
01-26-2024, 04:48 PM
Nice points BMoore!

Mattp
01-28-2024, 08:30 AM
YES!! i also think its a great course to take. even if you dont shoot 1.3G,, i dont plan to become PGI certified.. but if my personal time allowed for it.. i would take the course every year. not only is it full of valuable info and safety info, but its also just a great day. meeting other like minded individuals, professionals, the people hosting, and of course the live fire potion of it!!