PDA

View Full Version : Are Fireworks appropriate on Memorial Day?

FinnAmerican
01-11-2024, 02:59 AM
QUESTION:
What's your opinion on fireworks held on Memorial Day weekend?
Is the 4th of July more appropriate than Memorial Day?
I've read people's opinion online about fireworks being inappropriate for this Holiday. Saying the 4th is a national day of celebration while Memorial Day is a somber day remembering our war dead not to celebrate with fireworks.

BMoore
01-11-2024, 09:42 AM
I think it depends. On the surface I agree that Memorial Day should be a day of Remembrance and shouldn't be celebrated at all so a true Memorial Day event maybe shouldn't feature fireworks. However, the holiday weekend has morphed into an unofficial start of summer celebration with cookouts, festivals, concerts etc. So if you have an event that falls over the holiday weekend but isn't really intended to honor fallen military, then I see no issue. Perhaps you could also say fireworks are ok on Saturday & Sunday, but not on Memorial Day Monday itself. It's not a one size fits all scenario. Most people would also say no fireworks at a funeral, but there had better be some at mine.

Salutecake
01-12-2024, 07:53 AM
Totally agree with you BMoore! But now we get into how each of us celebrate any event and what is appropriate behavior. I've been to too many funerals over my years, some are very solemn and some are fill with laughter (inapproriate?) kind of depends on your own perspective. At many memorial Day ceremonies a 21 gun salute is performed to honor our dead, so why not a fireworks display in their honor, again what is appropriate.

And BMoore, I already gave instructions to my family to load my ashes in a shell and set me off.