PDA

View Full Version : Which license/permit do you recommend and why?

car46999
01-07-2024, 12:17 AM
So I am thinking that it is time for me to get my ATF explosives license/permit, primarily for hobby display fireworks. The license/permits I am considering are the Manufacturers License, User Permit, or Limited Permit. It seems although the manufacturing license costs more, it would give me the flexibility to buy display fireworks and have the option to make some for hobby use if desired. But if hobby manufacturing in Alabama has too many hoops to jump through, the Limited Permit would cover my needs.

I am still trying to figure out the rules that apply to hobby manufacture of fireworks in Alabama, I am unclear if I would have to also have the $3,000 manufacturer permit if the manufacturing is for hobby use only.
I located a document that discusses the manufacturing of fireworks on the Alabama Fire Marshal website and read through it, but I am still unclear on if making display fireworks for personal hobby use is even covered by that document.

https://www.firemarshal.alabama.gov/PDF/Fireworks%20Manufacturer%20Information.pdf

Curious if anyone has worked through this and can point me to verifiable information on the topic.

Salutecake
01-07-2024, 08:12 AM
The sad part is that there always seems to be a discord between Fed rules and State rules or State to Local rules, and here we are trying to interpret what the rules mean even though the people in charge can't interpret the rules the way they should be.
Example, So getting your FEL through the ATF should not be based on State rules, it's a Federal thing, but the State can dictate to you how, when and where you can use your Fel.

My best suggestion to you is to contact some display companies and see what they have to say, the next best thing is to try to find any clubs that support mfg.

displayfireworks1
01-07-2024, 01:16 PM
In answering this I have no idea what your level of experience is prior to this posting. I’ll assume you are new to all of this. You are trying to do too much at once. I suggest to try first obtaining an ATF User of Display Fireworks permit first. Again assuming you are new at this, most fireworks enthusiast give up on making fireworks when they realize they can legally purchase what they want at a reasonable price. If you are already covertly making fireworks and plan on transporting and/or shooting them off of your property, you are going to some form of an ATF license.
If you are interesting in obtaining an ATF fireworks license and need help consider purchasing my ATF DVD/Application package.
https://pyrotalk.com/shopping.php

car46999
01-07-2024, 02:23 PM
I appreciate the advice, I am new to display fireworks. Background with fireworks is solely in class C consumer fireworks, family has been doing an annual show few several years. Interested in other options for next year. Looking to start out reasonable, I am not looking to go all out and start with 3",4",5",6"+ size display stuff.

I agree starting with the ATF user permit does seem to be the easier path, and might satisfy all my needs. My searching for what all is available from display fireworks vendors has not turned up much. I found Lynch Imports catalog and it was insightful, but have not located any other display vendor that will release a catalog or list without a license. I have contacted Pyro Productions, as they are likely the company I would be purchasing from. They had some helpful insight, but it seems I need a license to get a product price list.

Does your DVD package cover much on state laws? Or after I purchase it do you provide support with state laws?

displayfireworks1
01-07-2024, 03:02 PM
Many advancing pyro enthusiast may not desire an ATF license and find these new Articles of Pyrotechnic cakes meet their needs for products beyond the consumer level but are not full 1.3 products. The nice thing about the AP products , they can be shipped and no special storage is needed to store a reasonable amount. I used some of the AP products in my last video.
My ATF DVD application package explains the ATF Fireworks license procedure only. The ATF license allows you to legally purchase and transport 1.3 fireworks. You are trying to digest too much starting with price list and state laws. I'm sure you have many more questions. At this point I usually tell someone , I'm typing 65 more paragraphs and answering more questions or purchase my ATF package to understand the process.