PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve 2023/2024

displayfireworks1
01-01-2024, 02:42 PM
Here is my New Years Eve backyard display. This will give you a chance to see the performance of some of the AP Pro products. Not bad for non ATF regulated product . As I commented on in a previous post. Some have ports and some just a fuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_LU0Un-0Ok

FinnAmerican
01-01-2024, 08:04 PM
Dave, Nice NY demo. Can you upload an image of your "Bird Banger"?

Engineer Cat
01-01-2024, 09:57 PM
Nice Dave. Happy New Year. Scripting with the Firelinx is pretty easy too.

displayfireworks1
01-03-2024, 08:29 AM
Dave, Nice NY demo. Can you upload an image of your "Bird Banger"?

Just search Bird Banger on Google . Last I checked there are two variations of bang cartridges, for the louder ones you now need an ATF license.

Salutecake
01-03-2024, 09:46 AM
Hey Dave, I'm not sure you need an ATF license anymore but I think you need to sign some type of agricultural statement of use. My commuity has used these for years to scare away Canada geese. I think the rules on the changed a years or so ago.
So the regular shells are fairly loud and the EXP versions are louder and do go a bit further, but the screamers kind of go all over the place.

So let me say this -- if you buy the gun buy the double barrel.

Shipping cost is almost as much as the gun puchase. The shells are'nt cheap either.

Last, after a while some of the geese don't move, only flinch, lol.

displayfireworks1
01-03-2024, 12:48 PM
I am not entirely verse on the regulations . Government agencies , landfills , airport etc. may be exempt from the ATF requirements. There are two versions of the banger cartridges . One is marked exempt and most likely contains less powder. I have the single and double barrel one and find the double does not travel as far. The screamer ones are not ATF regulated. I believe that is original purpose of the double barrel one. First shot is the screamer, then as the birds take off then you shoot the follow up banger.
What I have been trying to find out is, other than the outside of the box denoting the exemption . Do the actual cartridges look the same or are the coded differently.
Note green area

If you know what you are doing and understand the limitations of weight and travel you can easily alter these exempt cartridges. The risk is it may just blow up on launch

RalphieJ
01-03-2024, 03:26 PM
Looks like that plastic cap comes off easily. Wouldn't take more than a pinch to add extra punch.p

displayfireworks1
01-03-2024, 04:01 PM
If you were prone to experiment the first step would be , to open two and pour one into the other. Of the exempt ones. Not the regulated ones. The risk is if any of that power gets on the sides of the cartridge or in the gap between the plug and the cartridge . At launch that power may catch a spark and migrate into to payload and go off immediately. If you search through the Material Data sheets on these I suspect it will list the powder charge in mg somewhere on the sheet. For the exempt ones I suspect it is 125 mg to match the Consumer Fireworks regs for aerial boom. But I’m just guessing. It would be something interesting to research.

displayfireworks1
01-03-2024, 04:30 PM
I believe here are the Material Data sheets. Funny when you think about the difference between the exempt and non-exempt cartridges you assume both have the same powder composition makeup just using less or more on each version, If I am looking at the sheets correctly one may contain aluminum (Regulated) and other does not (Non-Regulated). Interesting they are using oxidizer nitrates and aluminum when it seems like perchorlate alone would be good enough.
Bird Banger
https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/MSDS/Reed_Joseph/MSDS_Banger.pdf
Bird Banger EXP No Aluminum ?
https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/msds/MSDS_Bird_Banger_EXP.pdf

jknepp1954
01-03-2024, 07:29 PM
I missed the transition from Daves NYE display to "bird bangers?"
Unless they changed regs - we had got these for a couple yrs back in the early/mid 2000's - the 12 gauge kind. From a company in RI or CT - i forget which. Anyway we had to sign off on a sheet to say that we were selling as animal control devices. but somehow must have been complaints as they said could no longer sell to fireworks stores. But IF I WANTED for my OWN PEROSNAL USE - call the Pa Game Commission....

BTW - i didn't clean my shotgun out soon enough - comp had corroded and ruined my shotgun!

PyroFL
01-03-2024, 09:27 PM
Short and sweet

Nice that you have neighbors that are also fans!!

PyroFL
01-04-2024, 08:47 AM
Dave what initiators are you using?

I’ve seen white, white with blue strip, blue, orange but never black.

displayfireworks1
01-04-2024, 09:16 AM
Remember traditional electric match still exist and comes in various colors , usually orange. Black is sometimes used in stage work so the wires are not readily visible on and around the stage. In addition the firing system I was using on this display (the FireLinx ) has a "Stealth Mode" for stage work where it disables the module lights also for stage work or other applications.
Apparently more of my neighbors were enjoying the display than I realized when I listened to the video at the end. My one neighbor made a comment they enjoyed me shooting the display early in the night instead of waiting until midnight as I have in the past.

displayfireworks1
01-04-2024, 09:34 AM
I missed the transition from Daves NYE display to "bird bangers?"
Unless they changed regs - we had got these for a couple yrs back in the early/mid 2000's - the 12 gauge kind. From a company in RI or CT - i forget which. Anyway we had to sign off on a sheet to say that we were selling as animal control devices. but somehow must have been complaints as they said could no longer sell to fireworks stores. But IF I WANTED for my OWN PEROSNAL USE - call the Pa Game Commission....

BTW - i didn't clean my shotgun out soon enough - comp had corroded and ruined my shotgun!

Joyce a few years back the ATF looked at the some of these pyrotechnic pest control devices and now require an ATF license to purchase certain versions of the Bird Banger cartridges. The industry apparently adjusted and created the non regulated cartridge. Even with the non regulated ones you still need to sign a declaration you are purchasing the products because you have a pest control problem .

Salutecake
01-05-2024, 07:39 AM
If I get a chance, I know my borough has 2 kinds of bird bangers and the screamers and bangers are 2 different colors. Are they the regulated ones??? or What you said the non regulated model. Also as you mentioned, it is funny that the rules for what ever reason are somewhat disregarded for cities.