PDA

View Full Version : Quantum Fireworks Firing Systems

georgiapyro
04-02-2012, 02:39 PM
I have a couple of their newer single module 12 cue systems. Each of them has 4 AA batteries to power them. Do you think it's necessary to take out the batteries between shooting? I was thinking about doing a small shoot next month and getting some ideas together for what I want to shoot and this came to mind. Don't want to be getting ready to shoot and have no power, if know what I mean!

Here's the two systems I have:
http://www.firingsystems.us/Wireless-Firing-Systems-p/qf-2x6.htm
http://www.firingsystems.us/Wireless-Firing-Systems-p/qf-6x2.htm

PyroJoeNEPA
04-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Keeping the batteries in will not hurt anything for short periods of time. The issue is if the batteries are in a long time & one or more of them leaks--the chemicals from the batteries will corrode the spring contacts.
On the other hand, if you do take them out, you don't ever have to worry about the unit being left on by accident & having dead batteries the day of the shoot.
So, it really doesn't matter in the short term.
Always test the system prior to your event date & have extra batteries on hand...and don't forget to have a spare 23A battery or two for the remotes!!! Seems like everyone remembers the AA's & forgets about the remotes!

I harvest old strings of christmas tree lights--cut them up so they have short leads on them [3-4"]--& use them to test fire my system if I think have an issue. Saves on popping ematches [or ignitors if that is what you use] and you can get a string of 50 or 100 at the local "dollar store" for $3.00-$4.00.

indianahx
04-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Joe gave a pretty good tip with the Xmas lights, and having extra batteries on hand.

I agree that either way will be fine. However, I left AA batteries in a control desk for a relatively short time (wanna say couple of days, I don't really remember) and when I came back they had already leaked and corroded. So timing is just a matter of how crappy the batteries are in the batch you bought......leading me to say.....

Just take them out. Sure its a pain in the ass but if you always put fresh batteries in every time you'll never have to worry if they're dead or not plus you won't have to worry about leaving your unit on.

tennpyro1
04-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Get the rechargeable batteries at least you'll know if they are charged or not they are a bit more expensive but you will not have to buy batteries all the time

PyroJoeNEPA
04-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Get the rechargeable batteries at least you'll know if they are charged or not they are a bit more expensive but you will not have to buy batteries all the time
Although I don't like using rechargeable batteries--if you do go that route be sure to get NiMH [Nickel Metal Hydride] and not NiCad [Nickel Cadmium--the older style battery]. And make sure they are at least 2200mha rating. Some of the rechargeable out there are only 900, 1200, & 180 mha.
I've had far too many rechargeable batteries go dead over the years in wireless microphones at shows I've done sound for to ever trust them for something important.
A firing system puts a high current draw on the battery for a fraction of a second [ematch] and is not as demanding as an igniter which requires a longer current draw.
Yes, you can use them--I'm sure lots of people do, but a sleeve of AA alkaline's at the "big box store" isn't that expensive--especially if you are only doing a couple shoots a season. Just my two cents.

tennpyro1
04-02-2012, 08:41 PM
This is true rechargeable batteries do go bad just as any battery would lithium batteries may be a little better

Jdrobinson13
04-02-2012, 10:34 PM
I have both of these systems and I always take the batteries out just to be safe, but I will say that the batteries on the 6 module system can sometimes be a pain to get out.

On another note, QuantumFire is having a pre-season firing system sale and free shipping until April 8th, so go check it out!

georgiapyro
04-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I really never thought about just leaving them in there, but I might just go ahead and take them out. I like the christmas lights test as well. Seems like an easy way to make sure everything is good to go! And yes, I saw the sale Quantum is having, that's what prompted some of my concerns. Great deal for some smaller systems!

pyro man 205
04-03-2012, 12:22 AM
georgia, i saw QuantumFireworks sale in my email today nice little Firing Systems thinking about getting one to add with my other ones. for me i just get new batteries when it is close to my shoot time like a day or two. you can even buy some a put them in the frige to keep them fresh.

morrison2951
06-21-2019, 09:49 AM
I know the Quantum Fire modules were popular years ago but they have seemed to disappear from the market- did they go belly up? Were they reliable modules?

I've just picked up both 4 and 6 cues pre-owned 76 Pro Line modules and the grey 6 cue unit appears to resemble the Quantum Fire and I'm going to give them both a go on the 4th! Hope all goes well!

morrison2951
06-24-2019, 03:08 PM
Well, I did read good things about the Quantum Fire QF- 2X6 on this forum as they were once a sponsor so I found a good condition pre-owned one and it's incoming.

Hope to have it by the 4th and will fire it up then!