PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks sign 1948 Coney Island

displayfireworks1
12-08-2023, 02:58 PM
This is a picture from Coney Island 1948. I found it interesting the choice of a Tuesday to shoot them. I read Arthur Rozzi did the Coney Island fireworks in 1934 for Independence Day, not sure who did them in 1948. Great place to place the sign for all to see back then. Something fun to look at.

BMoore
12-08-2023, 05:59 PM
I believe the Arthur Rozzi show was for the the Coney Island near Cincinnati, OH, not the one in Brooklyn.

The Rozzi family moved to the Cincinnati area from New Castle PA in 1895 and set up a fireworks business. The business struggled until 1930 when the son, Arthur Rozzi, set off on his own. He talked the Coney Island amusement park on the banks of the Ohio River into letting him shoot some free shows with the promise that they would hire him if it was successful. He managed to score a 10 night contract with the park. It was so successful that additional contracts were signed and Rozzi's success took off. Coney Island had their first large July 4th display in 1934 that garnered considerable attention. The next year he signed a contract with the Cincinnati Reds to shoot a display following the first ever major league night game. Rozzi is still one of the best out there. Their massive WEBN fireworks on Labor Day weekend is absolutely amazing.

displayfireworks1
12-08-2023, 10:15 PM
Going back to 1948 in the picture I posted. In 1948 what better place to place that little sign than the marquee for the Cyclone Coaster. I am also reading the park was closed on Monday. What better way to make Tuesday a day to attend with a fireworks night. You have to remember prior to the mid 70’s display fireworks were made in USA, shot one at a time and reloaded with the exception of the finale. One day I'll have to make a video of my childhood memory of getting injured at a professional fireworks display and how they were presented back in the day as they say.

Salutecake
12-09-2023, 08:53 AM
Is BMoore becoming are resident historian? Interesting. Thanks!!

BMoore
12-09-2023, 09:39 AM
Is BMoore becoming are resident historian? Interesting. Thanks!!

Well I’ve worked their shows and been trained by them plus my kids are amusement park fans so I do enjoy the interwoven history. Cincinnati Coney Island is a shell of what it once was, but Rozzi Famous Fireworks does still shoot there. The more famous park around here is Kings Island. They do the nightly shows there too. Interestingly, Kings Island is named after the old, long gone Kings Gunpowder Mill. The reason Rozzi family moved to the area in the 1890’s was easy access to the quality black powder out of Kings Mills.

joewad
12-09-2023, 11:37 AM
I'm sure mom & dad were there more than once. They lived across the Ohio river in Kentucky. Worked at a Seagram's plant nearby where the company would give each employee a 1/2 pint every payday with their pay. Those were the days. Dad was a huge Reds fan, somehow managed to take mom on their honeymoon to a Reds game at the old Crosly field back in the 40s. Ironic thing, she became the biggest sports fanatic of the family.