PDA

View Full Version : Your First Time with Fireworks

FinnAmerican
12-04-2023, 12:37 PM
A Stroll Down Memory Lane...
Do you recall your first experience with consumer fireworks?

wingman
12-04-2023, 03:03 PM
Holding a sparkler at age 3, and smelling the smoke from smouldering conical fountains after they went off. That had to have been around '77.

fatcat
12-04-2023, 09:28 PM
That is a great question FA, Being in my late 70's I remember doing what they called "Lady fingers" ( very small firecrackers) back in Dayton Ohio with my older brother; had to be in 1949 0r 1950. Man times have sure changed

FinnAmerican
12-05-2023, 01:48 PM
I recall the first time that I used fireworks was in the mid-1990's(in my teens) I was visiting my friend who had moved away. We saw a fireworks vendor's trailer set up on the side of the road. I bought a box of M-98 firecrackers. First of all fireworks were illegal in Michigan at that time. I remember someone (Friend's Dad) had to sign a form stating that the purchased Fireworks would be taken out of the state in 48 hrs, I think. We had a good time lighting off the waterproof crackers in manhole drain.

Same time period, I picked up a half brick of Firecrackers in Indiana And two packs of Silver Crackers in Tennessee. I remember getting a coupon for a free pack of firecrackers at the local travel info. center.

Salutecake
12-06-2023, 07:06 AM
I'm kindof with fatcat, lady fingers about 1960 then moved up the next year, regular firecrackers, bottle rockets and so on.

BMoore
12-06-2023, 09:55 AM
5 years old. Up until that point my extended family would get together at the public firework display which I have vague memories of. When I was 5 it it rained all day so we decided to move everyone to our house for a cookout. The rain cleared and we could actually see most of the public show from the house. What impressed me more was that all the neighbors were shooting fireworks. A very magical night with fireworks all around, the smell of the smoke, family and friends. A few days later we found a small assortment for sale at a toy store. My mother told me I could have them If I went in and bought them by myself. That's right.....a 5 year old sent into a store alone to buy explosives! My dad lit them for me, but they were MY fireworks....and so it began. After that year we continued hosting the 4th picnic at our house and my little show grew and grew and grew.....and still continues to grow to this day 46 years later.

nightstalker
12-10-2023, 10:29 PM
About 7 years old and my friends and me were lighting firecrackers and dropping them down a small steel pipe. We then put a can or whatever on the end of the pipe to see how far in the air it would go. Well one of mine didn't go off so I lifted the pipe and picked up the firecracker to see why it didn't go off. Wasn't gonna let a firecracker go to waste. Well it did go off while holding it with my thumb and index finger.