PDA

View Full Version : Larger vintage Black Cat crackers

FinnAmerican
11-29-2023, 10:32 PM
Has anyone heard of slightly longer Black Cat crackers before?
Compared next to recent BC crackers.

gweilo
11-30-2023, 10:24 AM
The original (mangey cat) Class 2 Black Cats were 1 11/16" long, which may be what you have pictured. They also came in the 1 5/8" size for a while.

wingman
11-30-2023, 11:38 AM
Didn't you have a pack of these at one time? I could be mistaken. If not, looks like you caved and cracked it open - I wouldn't blame ya, lol!

wingman
11-30-2023, 11:39 AM
You'll most likely find newspaper was used to make the cracker tubes on these. At least I remember the later versions were.

RalphieJ
11-30-2023, 12:52 PM
You'll most likely find newspaper was used to make the cracker tubes on these. At least I remember the later versions were.

Back in '58 or so my Dad bought for me a brick of Jet Bomber flashcrackers that were made with newspapers. We used to roll out the duds for the powder, but for the life of me I can't remember what language they were...........I want to say English (American) but I wouldn't bet on it.

FinnAmerican
12-02-2023, 05:33 PM
Yes a bit of Cartoon comic is visible on one of the tubes.

halk
01-21-2024, 01:24 PM
The brand came out during the Korean War. 1952 I believe. The 'rough cat' label was used on 1-5/8 and 1-11/16". All cello wrapped I believe. Slightly later, the 'semi smooth' or 'notched ear' label was used, and 1-1/2" were added. Then the war ended and ICC was added and the longer crackers could no longer be imported. Thus the shorter crackers ended up being the rarest of the Class 2 Black Cats.

KDirk
01-21-2024, 04:41 PM
Some interesting stuff here, to me anyway. I'm amazed that some of you have firecrackers sitting around that are pushing 70 years old. I don't think I could resist blowing off old stock like that (knowing they're a lot more powerful than the stuff we can get now) assuming they are still functional. Even if stored under ideal conditions, I don't know that I would expect fireworks that old to still have their oomph.

Threads like these get me to lamenting the fact that I missed out on the wild west unregulated era of consumer fireworks, and only came into it after safetyism began running rampant.

RalphieJ
01-22-2024, 01:47 PM
"Even if stored under ideal conditions, I don't know that I would expect fireworks that old to still have their oomph."

They do.

KDirk
01-22-2024, 05:15 PM
That's actually reassuring. I worry a bit about shooting product that's just a year or two old, as I frequently have left over stock I need to use every July.

I'm especially concerned about degradation of the larger stuff like mortar shells, and having a ground detonation as a result. Not that the revelation 50+ year old product is (or can still be, at any rate) good will make me complacent about safety, but it's nice to see there is a long shelf life, far longer than I'd have figured.

halk
01-23-2024, 01:24 AM
Got some crackers made in Taiwan pre-1857 and they still go bang.
Was the railroads that started the restrictions, not against the public, but for the industry.
Too many cases of torpedoes going off I suppose, and too much powder leakage, sparks from the smokestacks, RR lanterns, etc. That was in 1906. They would not ship firecrackers over 6" long, so the manufacturers stopped making them as everything was shipped by rail back then. About the same time the do-gooders became alarmed about personal injuries, resulting in state restrictions. No federal regulations till 19s53, and they concerned shipping classes, with the ICC added to notify everyone that fireworks and other goods were subject to regulation by their agency. The domestic manufacturers of retail items weren't hurt at this point. Many probably liked the length restrictions on foreign exporters. A class system was then developed for transport of goods. This added "Class C Common Fireworks" to the labels. Next regulatory agencies to arrive were the FDA and CPSC. It got "Caution Explosive" and "Danger Explosive" added to labels on Common and Special Fireworks. FDA got in with the "must not be sold separately" "adult supervision", etc. As I understand the agencies worked together to finally determine that any firework containing over 2 grains of flashpowder was too dangerous to be sold to the public. 1967 marked the end of torps and loud crackers and salutes. Labeling didn't change again till 1971 when Nixon opened up trade with China. DOT was now the regulator mentioned. The trade destroyed Macau's firecracker industry. Individual brands could now be dated by their place of manufacture or processing methods. Two grainers were outlawed for retail in 1977, with all firecrackers saved from exiincetion only by the fact that they are used in religious ceremonies. The complex UN classification was adopted in 1993. Label art is now reduced to space not taken up by about eight government Warnings. Welcome to the nannystate!

FinnAmerican
01-23-2024, 02:27 PM
19th century crackers, Cool! Well not fireworks, I have some unopened packets of Civil War era artillery shell paper fuses, dated 1864

RalphieJ
01-23-2024, 04:11 PM
"As I understand the agencies worked together to finally determine that any firework containing over 2 grains of flashpowder was too dangerous to be sold to the public."

This particular clause was protested by quite a few companies in the trade because they feared that it would lead to an unregulated bootleg market. Their predictions came true when black market salutes of all sizes became available in every state. In NYC 3" aerial salute cores could be bought on the street corners of Little Italy for $3. Unintended consequences were not being considered.

RalphieJ
01-23-2024, 04:14 PM
That's actually reassuring. I worry a bit about shooting product that's just a year or two old, as I frequently have left over stock I need to use every July.

I'm especially concerned about degradation of the larger stuff like mortar shells, and having a ground detonation as a result. Not that the revelation 50+ year old product is (or can still be, at any rate) good will make me complacent about safety, but it's nice to see there is a long shelf life, far longer than I'd have figured.

I've fired 4" Chinese color shells that were 20+ years old. Same for 3" American canister salutes. Keep your powder high and dry.

KDirk
01-23-2024, 09:18 PM
I keep unused product in plastic storage totes with a snap on lid. I keep those inside a metal storage cabinet (not fire resistant, though I wish it were). They are in a climate controlled area, so I've figured that was about as good as I could do for storage outside of a purpose built a standalone magazine, which isn't practical here. I do know humidity is bad news, and have avoided that.

I wish I had an in to get some of these vintage items just to see what I missed out on from decades back, but gather the hard core collectors who have them keep them close to the vest. Which makes sense, as they won't be seen again in the present regulatory environment.

halk
01-25-2024, 10:50 PM
And good to keep them cool also, like the ammunition makers recommend.