View Full Version : Consumer ariel fireworks in NY NJ

Jersey32
10-26-2023, 07:56 PM
Does any body know what license requirements would be needed to shoot 1.4 in NY or NJ not for pay. I have been shooting show's in PA and would love to be able to shoot in NY. Would there be any restrictions on transport and would I need contingency storage. thank you in advance

displayfireworks1
10-27-2023, 08:29 AM
How do you define shooting shows? . Having a show for an event on what type of property or shooting in your backyard. Or look around the neighborhood and see everyone shooting fireworks on July 4th but you are the only one legal to do it and they are not. Too broad of a question you are asking. Contingency storage is more of a 1.3 fireworks requirement.

Jersey32
10-27-2023, 05:16 PM
I have been shooting shows in a camp in pa. We shoot with cobra at 3 firing positions and abt 50-75pc of 500 gram cakes per show we also do effects like 144 shot roman candles spaced over 100 feet in x's or other stuff like that. I recently have started to use a lot of 1.4 pro as i got your certificate. for example the final 15 sec our last finale was 2 100 shot salutes at the left and right position and 3 brocades in the middle position

displayfireworks1
10-27-2023, 09:39 PM
I under estimated your level of pyrotechnic activity. This is why it’s best to make a forums post as inclusive and informational as possible with your level of experience, pyrotechnic equipment and experience. Being new to the Pyrotalk forums and/or new to posting in general I can understand a level of posting trust has to be established. Historically, now defunct pyrotechnic forums would try to ridicule or belittle you if you were an inexperience fireworks enthusiast, we try not to that on the Pyrotalk forums. First off, thanks for purchasing my Articles of Pyrotechnics continuing education certificate and purchasing from my advertisers that accept it. The problem is, you advanced faster than the State of New York or New Jersey regulations recognize. As a fireworks enthusiast and now advanced fireworks enthusiast you can at least enjoy what you do at your camp in the State of Pennsylvania.
In my home state of Pennsylvania, Consumer Fireworks were not always legal, until 2017. . Possession was always legal. However shooting them off was not. There were provisions for permits and permission at the time prior to 2017 legal in PA . Not sure what the State of New York or New Jersey has as far as permits etc. for private use.
Not that I am telling anyone to directly do this, if I had to make recommendations on shooting Consumer Fireworks in a state that does not recognize them, particularly for an advanced user that owns a Cobra or similar advanced system. Be sure you have the proper clearances. Invite your neighbors to the party. Do your display at the same time of year every year preferably during a holiday that normally includes fireworks. Now that you are an advanced user, you are beyond trying to compete with your neighbors and their fireworks. You do not fire a single item until show time, depending on the time of year, usually around 9:30 PM, using your Cobra, you fire your display within 15 to 20 minutes and do not fire a single item before or past that point. I think you will find what you are doing does not aggravate anyone in your neighborhood. If you do it annually in relationship to that holiday that normally includes fireworks. You will find people will look forward to it annually just as they do the professional annual displays. And the local neighborhood amateur Consumer Fireworks users that blast individual items all day and night one at a time will actually stop shooting out of respect for your 15 minute Cobra display you do every year. Using my own experience prior to legal 2017 in Pennsylvania, the local police would observe my annual New Year’s Eve display from a hilltop every year. One of my friends told me he went to watch my new year’s display at midnight and said the police were in that same spot watching. LOL If you do it correctly even in a technically illegal state, you can get that same respect. But you need to earn it.

Salutecake
10-28-2023, 08:19 AM
First - Nice Post Dave!!!

So, I would check on your states web pages first, then with your local, Police/fire people. NJ is a tough state to do anything! I can tell you that my son shoots for a company in PA that does shows in NJ. I know the company is asking him to take a blasting course/certification in NJ because if you use any electronic firing system, (which they do only for the finale) you need to have a blasting license.

Second NY is just as tough to do anything, I have over 100 acres in NY farmland, and while my neighbors love to see fireworks, (including the Amish, cows and horses), to shoot shows in NY you need to take courses, pass tests, and do an apprentise thing.

My recomendation is find a Pyro club that alfilliates with NJ and see if they have any recommendations.

Jersey32
10-29-2023, 06:14 PM
would atf certification help me or would i still need a lot of other license's/permits i was thinking of using talon clip on igniters if they wouldn't need a blasting permit and consumer product as to be able to transport and store product.

Engineer Cat
10-29-2023, 06:35 PM
would atf certification help me or would i still need a lot of other license's/permits i was thinking of using talon clip on igniters if they wouldn't need a blasting permit and consumer product as to be able to transport and store product.

You need a blasters license in NJ if you are using an electronic firing system. Doesn't matter if you are using talons. ATF Type 54 has nothing to do with shooting and only allows you to purchase and transport 1.3. You still have to get permits from the town, permission from the AHJ (fire marshal), and insurance. If you are shooting shows where you are not taking money to shoot it, then the Type 54 allows you to transport without regulations. However if you are shooting shows where you are getting paid, even 1.4, then you need a CDL license with a HazMat endorsement and placards on the vehicle you are transporting the product in. And that of course will cost more for insurance.

Engineer Cat
10-29-2023, 06:52 PM
I started off joining a pyro club in PA, and eventually got my Type 54 due to Dave saying "why not get it". Next got a PGI cert and from there got hooked up with a display company. Now I crew on pro shows (that I get paid to work) and have a much better understanding of what is needs to be aligned to try to allow us to shoot a NON PAID show in NJ. It will take some money for insurances and having the fire dept on standby but more importantly, getting approval from the AHJ is the biggest obstacle for NJ.

I don't have my blasters license for NJ at this time, but if we were to shoot a show here for "fun" (which wouldn't have anything to do with the display company we work for), I would have to have our lead shooter shoot the show because he does have the blasters license. To be honest, although I love pressing the button to start the show when I'm at club shoots in PA, it's not importaint to me when we are on pro shoots. I have my hands in every aspect of making that show go off properly. I don't need to be the one that pushes the button to be excited about the shoot.

displayfireworks1
10-30-2023, 08:19 AM
This New Jersey Blaster License thing. I know we discuss it in the past. First, does New Jersey have some sort of regulation that a public fireworks must be shot using a fireworks firing system or it is optional how the display is fired. Can you still hand fire the public display. These questions assume a for profit display for the public. Be curious to read a link for better understanding. I have a feeling a New Jersey display company pushed that regulation to prevent outside competition.

Engineer Cat
10-30-2023, 01:53 PM
This New Jersey Blaster License thing. I know we discuss it in the past. First, does New Jersey have some sort of regulation that a public fireworks must be shot using a fireworks firing system or it is optional how the display is fired. Can you still hand fire the public display. These questions assume a for profit display for the public. Be curious to read a link for better understanding. I have a feeling a New Jersey display company pushed that regulation to prevent outside competition.

You can hand fire pro shoots in NJ without a blasters license. Here's what is the check list that NJ Division of Fire and Safety has for display operators.

https://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/dfs/forms/bfce/permit_checklist.pdf

This is on the second page.

4. Indicate method in which display will be fired. If it is an electrically-fired display, provide name of N J Department of Labor licensed operator. Operator must have valid license in their possession at display site.

And here is information on Sales and public displays:
http://https://www.nj.gov/labor/safetyandhealth/resources-support/laws-regulations/fireworksact_sale.shtml

displayfireworks1
10-30-2023, 02:47 PM
That second hyperlink you posted does not seem to be working. #4 r.e. Electrical firing . States a licensed operator but it does not state what type of license is required. It does not address a Blaster License.

Engineer Cat
10-30-2023, 03:35 PM
see if this works https://www.nj.gov/labor/safetyandhealth/resources-support/laws-regulations/fireworksact_man.shtml

https://www.nj.gov/labor/safetyandhealth/programs-services/public-safety-compliance/

So Blasters License is slang, it's a permit like the type 54 valid for 3 years. The official title of it which is printed on top of the "license" and you'll love this Dave.

displayfireworks1
10-30-2023, 04:51 PM
Here is one here. I have a feeling this is some pre-2003 state thing before the ATF took explosives over. I found a picture of one but I'm have trouble loading it up in its current format. I try to add it to Word doc.

Engineer Cat
10-30-2023, 05:03 PM
Here is one here. I have a feeling this is some pre-2003 state thing before the ATF took explosives over. I found a picture of one but I'm have trouble loading it up in its current format. I try to add it to Word doc.

Yep that's it.