PDA

View Full Version : Just joined from STL, MO

KDirk
10-16-2023, 03:25 PM
Just registered here, I'm a new member from St. Louis, MO. Have been a fireworks enthusiast since I was a kid, and now in middle age have gone the "uplevel amateur" route. Have done fairly large shows for family and friends the last few years, and invested in a Cobra system this past year (well prior to the 4th). Since then I've added some additional modules acquired second hand. I'm now running 1x18R2, 2x18M, 1x36M and 1x72M with a decent number of slats. I expect to add some more modules as the budget permits.

I've hand built numerous racks in differing configurations using DR11 tubes from a couple of different suppliers, and plan to do more elaborate ones for next year. Since this was my first year running electronic firing, I got off to a bit of a late start on rack building and planning out the show, but it came off pretty well.

At any rate, I'd been lurking here a bit, and decided it was time to jump in so I can start making plans and picking up tips for next years show. I do plan to get Dave's AP cert done here before year end, so I can add some 1.4G to next years July 4 shoot.

I wish there was a geographically closer distributor that accepted the AP cert, but I'll order from one of the cooperating vendors who advertise here and have product shipped in, just to get that little extra oomph in the show.

Kevin

Jersey32
10-17-2023, 07:49 PM
Ap will really change your game. Take dave's course it's worth every penny the 1.4pro cakes hit real hard.

KDirk
10-19-2023, 03:37 PM
@Jersey32, just paid for the AP cert a few minutes ago. Looking forward to adding the upgraded cakes and effects that 1.4pro will get me access to. Particularly the "don't call them salutes", as I really like some extra boom, and even the very best of the standard consumer stuff just wasn't cutting it anymore.

My other priorities in the doldrums until next summer are to acquire more Cobra modules, and build some more racks. I was a bit rushed going into last year's 4th of July show, since I had just decided to make the jump to a proper firing system in late April, and was coming off just doing hand light the previous several years (though with chain fused stuff) and was scrambling to familiarize myself with proper rack construction, wiring/setup techniques and use of the Cobra before the big day.

My first Cobra fired show went well enough, but had a few delays since I had a limited number of cues initially with only an 18M, 36M and a multitude of slats pre-wired to racks. I had to cable swap among multiple sets of slats during the course of the show, which broke the momentum a bit each time I finished firing all the cues on the set of slats connected. I've since added more modules, and plan to get a few more still. I'm only doing a show for friends and family, so "production quality" isn't expected to be really slick, though of course I do want to improve the show quality on a year over year basis. I'm still learning, but by next July I should be putting together a very solid show with good pacing.

Jersey32
10-22-2023, 07:26 PM
A lot of the 1.4 cakes that you can buy are better than the biggest artillery shells fused in dr 11 tubes. You also have the advantage of knowing the timing as opposed to chain fuse where you really have to guess how long the spacing will be. Your best off trying off 2 or 3 cakes before you build more racks once i started 1.4 i went from several hundred shells to just cakes you cant imagine how easy set up is

Scotty Rockets
10-23-2023, 05:36 PM
If you are in the St Louis area you really need to check out and join the MPYRO fireworks club. Excellent club with the main focus on displays both 1.4 and 1.3 they also host the annual Sky Wars fireworks invitational event.

KDirk
10-25-2023, 02:26 AM
@ScottyRockets, I was recently made aware of MOPYRO, and will plan on joining up soon. Appreciate the heads up in any case, as it will be nice to find some like minded sorts who share the interest.

@Jersey32, I've continued to use 1.4 canister shells as I can select for specific colors, effects, etc. Some are great, others I've found are so so. The latter usually don't get purchased a second time unless I find them on closeout. I also like using individual cans since I can pyropoke the lift charge and get "right on a gnat's ass" timing with firing from the Cobra.

I used this last 4th to fire off volleys of cans timed to the cannon blasts in the 1812 overture, and in a couple of other parts of the show. Came off well enough that I actually got some complements on the implementation. Even my 5 year old nephew noticed the effect, and told me he liked it. Sharp kid.

I do also use cakes pretty heavily, and am looking forward to getting some 1.4pro product for next July. That will be a step up from what I was able to do this year.