PDA

View Full Version : Group input

PyroFL
10-10-2023, 04:41 PM
Thanks Dave for adding this.

As Finale 3-D seem to becoming more popular am glad to see this on pyrotalk

I personal have only played around with the software and looking to start using it for next year.

Looking over there product line in the database, and how their software has improved tremendously the one thing I thought would be great is if we pull together our knowledge to make it easier for other pyros and our pyro friends here.

Most of their product they have online are 1.4pro and 1.3. A lot of us use 1.4 as hobbyist and why should we all be building the same cakes in our own data bases and why not work together.

As I build cakes I wouldn’t mind trading others that already started or even posting files here or a Google doc so we can all use it.

Open to ideas so we’re not all building the same cakes.

Also this would be great to post questions like a new B like me who maybe needs a little help.

displayfireworks1
10-10-2023, 05:11 PM
This member requested this forum for Finale 3D. Finale is also one of the advertisers on Pyrotalk. I am not sure how files and/or documents are shared in Finale . If I get the proper .ext of the file I may be able to add it as files that can be attached to a posting

Stang
10-11-2023, 05:12 AM
As far as I know there isn't a file. You would just share the copy and paste of the VDL code for a given cake/effect. You could essentially make a Google sheet for it with the name of the cake and the VDL. Maybe also a link to a video of the actual cake demo.

I actually talked to Drew about this at the airport on the way to Sky Wars. Their library was lacking for wizard and also consumer cakes, so I asked him why not allow community submissions. He mentioned they have thought about it, but didn't want to confuse people into thinking it was the official library. People could submit things with wrong diameters / heights etc.

I also brought up the cake creator website that I believe a German person made. Drew wasn't sure why people thought it was easier than making a cake in finale. I have to admit, I used it beforeand found it quite easy to use. It just seems to present the information well and has the visual aspect to it. Maybe there is a seed planted now to have something like that cake creator built into finale.

PyroFL
10-16-2023, 08:13 AM
Stang

Thanks for the feed back and I do recall the German guy but it’s been a few years and can’t find it.

I am hoping maybe we can build an open file for those who would like to trade VDL files/code of cakes.

Seems kind of silly for people using it to have all of us re-building the same thing over and over.

My only concern is it getting contaminated like wiki-fireworks where 60% of the firework timing isn’t correct.

Stang
10-18-2023, 12:03 AM
My only concern is it getting contaminated like wiki-fireworks where 60% of the firework timing isn’t correct.

Yup this was exactly Drew's concern about a community catalog. Who and how to moderate it.

Cake creator link in case anyone needs it
http://cakecreator.finale3d.de/

topshelfpyro
10-18-2023, 04:11 PM
Even the "company" made catalogs have wrong information in the vdls. For example dominator single shots 30mm.....WAY off base for height

Smily0
10-28-2023, 09:27 PM
I'm just starting to think of using Finale instead of Cobra Show Creator. I'd be happy to share on cakes I'm making. I just started looking at the VDL ins and outs and it doesn't seem too bad. Have you started a google doc yet?

Salutecake
01-24-2024, 09:13 AM
I'm glad this group is here! I just started the hobbyists 14 day free trial. The learning curve for this old man is like 50/50. With Drew's help I am getting through the basics. I did talk with Drew and he did express an interest in starting a quick start tutorial which will be helpfull.
My analogy of using Finale 3d - Hobbysit program is like using MS Word compared to notepad, Complex to Basic and if you are not a professional secretary you may never need to know how to use all the functions.
So some of the things I still struggle with is the differences between the hobbyist and pro versions. Sometimes when I would go to do something and it was working for me I thought well that must only be available in the Pro version. An example, I was trying to copy and paste into My Effect list and nothing was happening, but then I discovered in that place only Keyboard short cuts were allowed. like ctrl v.
Another aspect is just some of the terminologie used compared to Cobra like pins and such.
My main goal is to figure out how to do racks and reports in the hobbyist program, it seems this is where most of differences are between the hobbyist and pro versions.
So far my one big mistake was in creating a My Effects list, after figuring out copy and paste with the mouse didn't work, I wasted about 20 minutes entering aboaut 50 items into the list, only to look up to find out they were not added. End result, I was using the case number from some 3" crown pryo shells for a part number and using the name of the shell. Well I found out, from Drew, that the part number had to be unique. I thought I could use the case number like a catelog number and search items per case, but the closest way to do this is to use the case number, let's say, 39apptt and then for each item change the case number 39apptt-01 and so.
Although I can somewhat visualize the effects in cobra show going off, the biggest thing I like about the program so far is the visual effects, specifically when you run your effect and you see the lift charge going off, then to the effect and finally the duration, for me that puts a lot in perspective when planning a show.
I am going to finish out my trial, and then probably in March purchase the hobbyist program. For me now the plus side is the support from Drew- I can't believe how well he handles the support. The program itself is kind of 50/50 there isa lot to learn but like anything once you learn it seems pretty easy. The only con I see is the price, for a hobbyist perhaps a little pricey and there is always the lite version.

Last you might see me here looking for help.
I too will most likely migrate to Finale from Cobra.
I am also willing to share my Effects, but as mentioned before, some of the info, even from the companies might be wrong and for now that is all I'm entering, company info or what Finale recommends and evntuall if I find something not right I will try to edit the effect.

Salutecake
02-08-2024, 02:54 PM
So I bit the bullet and got the hobbyist version.

I don't mind sharing anything, but as far as cakes go -- It seems cakes, really either get name changes or discontinued, what is available from what company, where you buy from (what part ofthe country and so on), what is available year to year ... I think there was some site that had listings of relabeled products or renamed, but I can't seem to find it now.

Are there any standard cakes? or is this going to be a remake year after year?

Salutecake
02-21-2024, 09:22 AM
Just wondering if anyone has experience using Finale with the Generic shells and the Lidu shells -- are the lift times and such pretty close?

Salutecake
02-21-2024, 05:31 PM

So if anyone is interested - hopefully the attachments attached.

Since both advertize here it should probably not be a problem, so I looked at Finale 3D lists of products and American Wholesale fireworks for sale and referenced the 2.

So if you buy from American Wholesale and use Finale 3D the products listed are what American Wholesale has for sale (as of 2-20-2024) and what Final 3D has pre-made.

displayfireworks1
02-21-2024, 07:38 PM
Speaking of Winda. I am expecting a shipment of some samples of Winda/Bight Star within the next week or sooner. Along with some other items. I do not have the entire list of samples but here is partial list. I didnt see these on your list. If you need some information from these let me know.

Salutecake
02-21-2024, 08:55 PM
I was just trying to save some time for others -

Anyway will we get some new video's of the samples???