View Full Version : Explanation to some of the type 54 application questions

Engineer Cat
07-31-2023, 02:36 AM
I mentioned in a previous post when I received my 54 permit last month that I would explain some things the ATF agent had me change and sign on the application I submitted, before he submitted it to the permitting department. There's only 3 places he had me change so I'll explain why he had me change each one. Personally I didn't think they were a big deal as I had it, but he knows better than I do. He basically said that he wants to eliminate any question the permitting office might have when doing the final review of the application so they can process the permit as quickly as possible.

So in this section he said it's not relevant to select OTHER and put HOBBY. Just selecting Proprietor is enough. I explained that I wanted to make sure they understand that I'm only a hobbyist, I have no business relating to fireworks or plan to at this time. He said they can tell from the other answers to the questions that I'm just a hobbyist.

I filled out this section with only the weekend as hours opened because I work during the week so the only time I am available is on the weekends. He said agents don't work on the weekends so I have to pick a time during the week I can be available. He also said agents are not allowed to work after 5pm unless they get approval. I explained to him I work a 9 - 5 Monday thru Friday so I'm not home during the hours they are allowed to work. He told me to pick a weekday and time I think I "would" be home where they can show up". I told him the best day and time for that is Thursdays between 6pm and 7pm which he said is fine. The agents will need to get approval when they want to show up at my house during that time because it is technically "overtime" for them. He also said if I happen to not be home on their surprise visit, they will leave a card in the mailbox so I can call them and schedule a time for them to come back. (FYI, when you get a 54 you sign a waiver allowing the ATF to show up at your house at anytime time they want, without notice. If you are home you must allow them to enter your home).

For section 19 and 20 above I put USA as areas I would be purchasing or transporting 1.3 because I didn't want to limit the area I can travel with product in the car. He explained that they need to have a state or multiple states where I plan on moving product around. I explained that my current club mostly have shoots in PA, but there are other clubs I may join where they have shoots in OH, VA, DE, NY, NJ, CT, MA, NH, RI, VT. He had me change it to NY/NJ and said that I am not limited to moving product around in just those states. I can move product in any state that I want but expressed that I can't keep product in a car overnight, unattended. (If you are submitting an app for a 54, you have, or should have, already learned this). They expect your paperwork (when they come unannounced) will show you picked up the product on Aug 1st and shot that product on Aug 1st. OR the records you keep need to show the product was returned to contingency storage if you didn't shoot it, or given to another 54 holder. (If you do a transfer, then you need to have a record of the product being transferred using document ATF5400.4).

As I said in another post, the ATF is not trying to keep anyone from having the 54 permit as long as there's nothing in your background that gives them a reason to deny you.

And as Dave and others have said before, when they come to do your face to face interview, let them do the talking and you'll have no problem getting the permit.

Salutecake
07-31-2023, 06:32 AM
Thanks for that Engineer Cat! If I remember, I think the application was a little hard to understand because it seemed like it was written for a business and not an individual hobbyist.

displayfireworks1
07-31-2023, 02:56 PM
I not sure where you got the idea to write in other and Hobby? I know you just got your license and you are eager to share the experience. There are some parts I can debate in regard to entry and a couple of other points. It does not always go smooth in some parts of the country. Over the years I spent lots of time clearing up misconceptions in regard to obtaining this ATF license and I also spend lots of time (although not as much as in the past) stopping jealous employees in the pyro business from trying to perpetuate false beliefs in regard to entry and a few other points. This is something I spend over 10 plus years doing , cracking into new territory across United States where the ATF was not so welcoming. Although they are now in those areas. I prefer if someone wants to undertake obtaining an ATF license for the first time purchase my DVD application package or attend one of my classes. If you go for it on your own , your experience may or may not be indicative of how it is best accomplished. I can't type 65 paragraphs debating some of these issues on the forums like Entry , titling the operation, unknowingly signing a waiver etc. If that ATF Inspector told you sign a waiver in regard to entry he may have spoke out of turn. Actually the word ""Entry" is going to need further legal definition and not necessarily mean let me search the whole house, but I don't want to debate it. Once someone is licensed and wants a magazine etc and needs help that is great people assist them. Education on how to get a ATF license is something I prefer to handle on the forums. Overall I glad went smooth for you and you are licensed.