PDA

View Full Version : My first show using Ignite Firing System (6 modules)

Ronnie316
07-13-2023, 09:17 PM
Hey everyone, I'm posting below the video link to my first show ever fired with Ignite. I used the maximum number of modules that can currently be connected at once (6). I designed the show using Ignite Show Designer which was very easy to use. I did not time the show to music though this is something I may explore next year. This show was fired on a family friend's large property in PA. I'm from NY where I likely would have been thrown in jail for firing a show of this size (absurd, isn't it?).

The show consisted of a left, center and right section spaced about 25 feet apart. Each section contained 2 modules for a total of 36 cues per section and 108 cues in all. With the use of some breakout boards we had a total of 116 cakes out in the field and approximately 162 mortars. The bulk of the mortars were fired at the halfway point of the show (19:44 in the video) when we took a break from the cakes. The rest (36) were fired during the finale. The cakes were connected to the modules using MJG firewire initiators with visco shroud.

Unfortunately, we had about 10 cakes that didn't fire due to the fuse not igniting. While the modules worked flawlessly and fired the initiators, the fire was not enough to light some stubborn fuses. This was a major bummer because we had gaps in the show where a cake should have been firing but wasn't. I edited the video to take out any gaps caused by a cake not firing as scheduled due to the fuse not lighting. We learned after the fact that it's a good idea to cut the fuse at an angle to expose more of the powder to increase the chance of the fuse lighting. Next year we will likely poke the cakes and use regular firewire initiators to leave no room for doubt.

I hope you enjoy the show and any tips/pointers for next year are greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwjgvEF3Uqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwjgvEF3Uqk

Birdman
07-13-2023, 11:03 PM
Nice first time e-fired show. This is exactly where many of us started before starting to script to music,so you are well on your way considering you have a firing system that is capable. To be honest, a little long and a bit monotonousness to hold the undivided attention of many watching a video. I'm sure it was great in person, fireworks are always better live. As for the visco fuse connectors, try to avoid them unless absolutely necessary. Poke cakes wherever possible. If you must use them, and sometimes they are best option, try to keep the cuts as fresh as possible. I don't think the angled cuts were your problem. Make sure you leave some space between the MJG and the fuse. Most importantly make sure you secure the visco fuse and the MJG to the connector VERY securely. I believe most of my failures occurred when either the fuse and/or the MJG was blown out of the connector when the MJG fired.

Funny that here I am sitting in PA but I shot my 4th show in NY. Yes, location matters, but if you keep your shows to a reasonable length and/or are shooting within a reasonable distance from homes, most authorities don't want to throw you in jail. I believe most authorities enjoy fireworks as much as you and I, as long as you are using them respectfully.

Sit back because I'm going to reminisce for bit here....

It was NJ...a not so pyro friendly state. My brother's in-law, who had his own business, decided to have a company picnic at his home. He took one of his biggest vans and purchased thousands of dollars of fireworks from a legal state. When nightfall came everyone was lighting firework and having a grand ol' time. A couple of hours latter most got bored and just sat and watched. Those that remained lighting fireworks found increasingly creative ways to entertain themselves. By midnight they were tying shells together and tossing them into the field. At about 12:30 AM the police showed up. This what they said....

"We drove by at about 9:30PM and figured we'd let you have some fun".
"We drove by around 10:30PM and said....wow they have a lot fireworks"!
"When we drove by around 11:30PM we assumed there couldn't be much left"
"Then when we just drove by and saw random fireworks blasting all around your field we decided it was time for a visit".

Lucky for them they were in an appropriate space to be lighting fireworks which is why the police turned a blind eye for as long as they did. Also, lucky for them no body called the authorities so they weren't compelled to take action.The night ended with a stern warning from the police that if they saw any more fireworks the rest of the night someone was going to face charges. And that was the end of that.

Ronnie316
07-14-2023, 09:07 AM
Thank you for the advice. Next year I certainly plan on poking most if not all cakes. I tried to keep a good pace with the show firing most 500 grams on their own and 200 grams either 2 or 3 at a time. I was aiming for a 25-30 minute show so I didn’t want to send up too much at once apart from the finale.You know where I live on LI I feel like the anti-fireworks sentiment has only grown worse over the years. Before the 4th they busted a guy who did a show every year in Massapequa. He allegedly had a display set up on a barge in a canal behind his house so I guess it was easy to get busted but still, seems odd he got away with it for years until now. Two years ago on the 4th I was lighting off some cakes in my yard when a neighbor called the cops. Fire Marshal showed up and confiscated the few cakes I had left. I’m sure him and the boys had a great time dividing those up after. Maybe I’m wrong but I feel like they’re a little more lenient in upstate NY (maybe more room?) than downstate. For me it’s totally worth the short drive to PA to have the freedom and piece of mind on my buddy’s huge property. I can shoot all I want for as long as I want with no headaches. Great show btw!

Birdman
07-14-2023, 11:04 AM
Things are certainty different in upstate NY where I shoot. It's a sparely populated area for the most part. Took me a couple years to get comfortable setting up my show and shooting it without worrying about getting a visit from the authorities. Now I only worry about getting my product up there. This was the first year I ever saw anyone complain about people lighting fireworks off at the lake I shoot at. That person didn't get much support at all on social media, to say the least. The city I live in sounds a lot like how it is on LI. People still light off plenty of fireworks in my city but you could never do a show. Even a long duration cake would be pushing it. I agree if that's how it is where you live, best to go somewhere rural in PA. That's what I plan to do when my time at lake is done.