PDA

View Full Version : Wondering how to legally shoot fireworks from my location

Nickamania99
07-10-2023, 10:30 AM
I just ordered the DVD on how to get ATF license, I have a strong feeling however the people interviewing me are going to ask about my understanding of the local laws in Long Island NY where fireworks are prohibited. Does anyone know what things I have to do to make shooting fireworks with an ATF license legal for where I’m from, like other certifications and permits. I fear when the interviewers ask why do I want my atf license and I say to shoot off better fireworks, they are gonna say you can’t do that anyways without permits here. In short does anyone know where I can find more information about shooting fireworks off legally in Long Island NY

displayfireworks1
07-10-2023, 10:33 AM
You are on Step B . Wait until you watch the DVD's and fully understand Step A

flashfuse
07-10-2023, 12:35 PM
Long Island is a no go to shoot fireworks off for fun legally even with an ATF License! Now if you own a fireworks company, you should know about storage, and how to get all the proper permits and Insurance for the show you intend to put on for someone. This is not an easy task. If you are just looking to shoot 1.3 on Long Island by yourself for fun, forget about, don't even bother.

Now if you want to get your ATF License for shooting with a fireworks club outside of long Island where its legal then yes go for it. With being a member of a fireworks club, you can legally buy 1.3 and shoot at the club shoots that they have, remember storage is vital and you will not be able to store anything on Long Island .

displayfireworks1
07-10-2023, 02:48 PM
Long Island is a no go to shoot fireworks off for fun legally even with an ATF License! Now if you own a fireworks company, you should know about storage, and how to get all the proper permits and Insurance for the show you intend to put on for someone. This is not an easy task. If you are just looking to shoot 1.3 on Long Island by yourself for fun, forget about, don't even bother.

Now if you want to get your ATF License for shooting with a fireworks club outside of long Island where its legal then yes go for it. With being a member of a fireworks club, you can legally buy 1.3 and shoot at the club shoots that they have, remember storage is vital and you will not be able to store anything on Long Island .

Please don't discourage a fireworks enthusiast from wanting to advance further into pyrotechnics with doom and gloom prophesies to discourage them. Also write in what state you are from in your profile.

Engineer Cat
07-10-2023, 07:15 PM
I live in NJ which is no different than NY when it comes to pyro. I got my 54 to be able to purchase product to shoot at club shoots in PA. Here in Jersey if you are shooting with an electric firing system then you need to get a blasters license. (Don't know about NY but I'm sure another member here will be able to tell us that). IF I wanted to shoot 1.3 or 1.4 here I would need to have that blasters license, I would then need to get a permit from the town where I would be shooting the product. And I would need to get a 1 million dollar insurance policy just for that shoot. I have contingency storage in PA close to our club shoot sites. I have no need to shoot 1.3 in NJ as I also crew for a display company that does a lot of shows in NJ so I get my fix helping the crew. I have what is called an Employee Possessor which you need to have for each company your crew for and it allows you to handle 1.3 products on behalf of the company you are working for. This means you can load 1.3 items in mortars and do other things on behald of the company (while on the shoot site). I'm not a lead shooter yet, but I help setup pro shows and stand right next to the lead shooter when we shoot the show. That's plenty enough for me to get my rocks off. I could be a lead shooter in PA as they do not require a blasters license like NJ does. I could hand fire shows in NJ without the blasters license but the company I crew for does not hand fire shows.

I know it's a bit of a haul for you to go out to PA to belong to a club, but there are quite few people that live in LI that come out there to get their pyro on. Look into it.

flashfuse
07-10-2023, 08:14 PM
Dave, I know what I'm talking about, I live there, and I'm not trying to discourage anyone, only telling the truth!

jknepp1954
07-11-2023, 09:40 AM
Please don't discourage a fireworks enthusiast from wanting to advance further into pyrotechnics with doom and gloom prophesies to discourage them. Also write in what state you are from in your profile.

Dave - flashfuse does talk with authority. And yes joining a club and purchasing 1.3 at club shoots is the only way to go. As a member of 5 clubs myself - THIS IS INDEED FACT!!!! As a member of 1 of the clubs - they occasionally have a shoot in NY (but not LI) - can't remember if there is actually a 1.3 vendor who goes or not...

displayfireworks1
07-12-2023, 05:30 PM
You see any of those fireworks clubs here trying to recruit members ???

Engineer Cat
07-13-2023, 10:15 PM
You see any of those fireworks clubs here trying to recruit members ???

That's how I was able to join our club. From meeting people here. And I private message with people from our neck of the woods looking to join a club so they can have a club member as a sponsor. I have not brought anyone to a club meeting yet to be voted in because I think some think it's to much hassle and driving, BUT if you want to do this sort of thing, that's what we have to do. And from that, I'm now crewing with multiple display companies.

Mattp
07-14-2023, 08:17 AM
I just ordered the DVD on how to get ATF license, I have a strong feeling however the people interviewing me are going to ask about my understanding of the local laws in Long Island NY where fireworks are prohibited. Does anyone know what things I have to do to make shooting fireworks with an ATF license legal for where I’m from, like other certifications and permits. I fear when the interviewers ask why do I want my atf license and I say to shoot off better fireworks, they are gonna say you can’t do that anyways without permits here. In short does anyone know where I can find more information about shooting fireworks off legally in Long Island NY

You can google the state laws and certificates you need,,, it’s through NY dept of labor ,, if you thumb through and read the orange book before your interview .. you will have a much better understanding of what to talk about, I live in Long Island,, and have my 54.. I go to some open shoots in PA when places have them .. and do plan to join a club one day ,, for legal shooting in ny,, you need to be a company with licenses, insurance and permits ,, a good place to start is getting a seasonal job for a local company and shoot a few shows with them (this is a requirement for state certification) ….not impossible ,, but is a long term plan.. LOL .. working a few shows a year.. is also a great way to legally shoot big fireworks,, learn the trade and network,, most reputable companies are always looking for seasonal people to have on call ,,, personally I’m glad I got my 54,, I use it roughly once a year,, but is good to have,, also helps with purchasing 1.4 pro