PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Construction

270jonathan
07-08-2023, 01:29 AM
So in all seriousness, I was told I would be better off to have my own magazine, Contingency is still going to be the go too, but would any of you give me some ideas on magazines you have built/purchased and what is cost takes, clearances to buildings, woodland etc? TIA

displayfireworks1
07-08-2023, 08:40 AM
Not sure if it was you . Someone sent me these pictures to post because they could not upload them

270jonathan
07-08-2023, 03:17 PM
No wasn't me that sent these, but I am fairly skilled when it comes to construction. I have seen the Magazines they sell some that are fabricated steel, and have seen 1 in your video that appeared to just be one of these type sheds that was beefed up with better interior and a much better door. Would something like this be able to be converted or built by hand to a outdoor magazine? or even a small like 8' Conex Box? What I am reading says it needs sand in the walls and roof and very thick wooden walls inside.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated, This does seem like it would be a fun project worst case I just have one very secure shed for more junk to be collected in LOL

Lighttravler
07-08-2023, 11:10 PM
It was me who sent this . I would line the inside with quarter inch plywood and https://rangerlock.com/atf-compliant-lock-box-left-door-mounted/. Was wondering do you guys think it will past inspection for those who has went this route

270jonathan
07-09-2023, 03:50 AM
It was me who sent this . I would line the inside with quarter inch plywood and https://rangerlock.com/atf-compliant-lock-box-left-door-mounted/. Was wondering do you guys think it will past inspection for those who has went this route

I'm not sure, I am considering either 1 since I have barn metal like this pre-made shed to build my own or get a small like 8' shipping container, but I am seeing stuff on having to be like 2-4inch of wood inside and filling the walls with weak concrete or sand. I will see if I can find the old thread I stumbled upon earlier on here and post a link to it, guy built his own type 4 and said it passed

270jonathan
07-09-2023, 03:51 AM

Here is a pretty good thread I found helpful earlier, don't go too crazy into detail but give me some good ideas for sure

https://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?7462-Started-building-my-Type-4-Outdoor-Magazine!!!

Lighttravler
07-09-2023, 03:05 PM
Oh yeah that is where I got my idea from and from the company who builds them in Wisconsin.

Arclight
07-09-2023, 05:34 PM
I'm not sure, I am considering either 1 since I have barn metal like this pre-made shed to build my own or get a small like 8' shipping container, but I am seeing stuff on having to be like 2-4inch of wood inside and filling the walls with weak concrete or sand. I will see if I can find the old thread I stumbled upon earlier on here and post a link to it, guy built his own type 4 and said it passed

You only need the 2-4" of hardwood or similar lining for a high explosives magazine (Type 1 or Type 2). Those have to be "bullet resistant" in addition to having a non-sparking interior and being moderately resistant to fire and theft.

A Type 4 Magazine for low explosives just needs a metal exterior and non-sparking interior. You can use a type 2 explosives magazine for storing fireworks, but it's overkill. The type 2 outdoor magazines I use for my blasting business are $10-25K new and made of 1/4" steel lined with 3" of hardwood. They can be bought cheap at auction sometimes and refurbished, which is what I did. The main cost is then transportation.

270jonathan
07-09-2023, 09:56 PM
You only need the 2-4" of hardwood or similar lining for a high explosives magazine (Type 1 or Type 2). Those have to be "bullet resistant" in addition to having a non-sparking interior and being moderately resistant to fire and theft.

A Type 4 Magazine for low explosives just needs a metal exterior and non-sparking interior. You can use a type 2 explosives magazine for storing fireworks, but it's overkill. The type 2 outdoor magazines I use for my blasting business are $10-25K new and made of 1/4" steel lined with 3" of hardwood. They can be bought cheap at auction sometimes and refurbished, which is what I did. The main cost is then transportation.

Thanks that is very helpful, So basically from what I've read on a few other post per say salutes stored in bulk it states has to be in type 1 and I do love some salutes. But apparently if they are stored with 1 color shell then it doesn't count as a bulk salute. So If I build a small garden shed to type 4 spec or get a small conex box and coat the inside I should be good.

My next worry is the distances as the one who I have talk to about contingency storage told me the distance doesn't count if it is your home only for neighbors or other inhabitable buildings can anyone confirm this?