PDA

View Full Version : Insurance question.

PyroManiacs
07-05-2023, 11:19 PM
Been out of the loop for a while and haven’t kept up on any new changes with show requirements, but wanted to share a scenario to figure out how this should be navigated…

There is a party who wants me to shoot 1.4 at their private event at secluded catering venue on a few acres of land.
I do not need to do anything but show up, set it up and fire it.

They are buying all of the product themselves and I would be receiving no form a compensation what-so-ever.

What Im looking for is a concrete answer if any kind of insurance is needed or not by any of the party’s involved and/or if the only thing needed is written permission by the catering venue.
I do not want an answer saying to follow 1.3 guidelines just to be safe since there is some type of audience.

PS: The party involved is well connected politically in the community as is the venue with the party involved also.

Engineer Cat
07-05-2023, 11:24 PM
Is this venue located in PA? That's going to matter to get the proper answer.

PyroManiacs
07-05-2023, 11:47 PM
Yes, sorry.

PyroManiacs
07-06-2023, 09:58 PM
After reading through the state police website, it looks as though no matter what, you only need permission from the property owner and that you have 150ft of clearance when it comes to any 1.4G.

Engineer Cat
07-06-2023, 11:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that is correct but was hoping someone with more experience in PA would provide the info you are looking for.

If someone gave me that same setup. Just come and setup and shoot the show for no money, I would do it for the fun of it. Let them deal with anything else.

Birdman
07-07-2023, 07:38 AM
I was asked to add some pyro for a family member's wedding in PA. The venue would only allow display companies with a 1 mil insurance policy to shoot fireworks on their property. It didn't matter it was only 1.4. If you haven't checked with the venue then do that first since they may have requirements that go beyond what is required by law.

Arclight
07-07-2023, 04:49 PM
You might want to talk to a few event insurance places if you are going to get coverage. It's might not be listed on the website, but some of them will probably offer coverage for a small 1.4 show as an add-on to their regular wedding policies. I've had to get event coverage before and they do have a lot of weird add-ons available, such as performers, animals, power sports, etc.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-08-2023, 05:46 PM
Doesn't matter what anyone on here thinks. Your first call should be to the local fire marshal in the town or locality where you plan to shoot the show. If anyone is going to have the answer, they should.

cody138
07-08-2023, 09:38 PM
Check with the venue to see if they have a contract with a display company for #1, alot of the venues have a contract with a display company that if fireworks are wanted at the event they have to use that company, or if they even allow them to be used and if so what is there requirements. #2 check with the township/borough to see if they have any ordnances in place. When you get theses answers then go from there. If they are providing all the product and money is not exchanging hands and you have your distance then go for it. Now there will be the ones who say ohhh even if they give you a hot dog that is payment which is kind of correct but again just use common sense here. The only issue I have is just remember you are shooting on a 3rd party's property, if something happens every finger will be pointing at you, if you have the means of getting insurance for the event I would do that.

Salutecake
07-09-2023, 06:38 AM
If you get through all the red tape, please consider Insurance, what type of show, what type of 1.4 and how close to the wedding party. My point - some fireworks at weddings - are used close to the wedding party - like fountains, and even using close prox fireworks there is always the chance of burning something, even when sprayed with the fire retardent.
If your talking about 150 feet away with 1.4 depending on the wind, ash and maybe a spark, can blow over and land on the Brides dress - that mark on the dress will definilty constitute a price to be paid.

Mattp
07-11-2023, 12:29 PM
Another idea if you cannot get a clear answer.. is to print out a liability waiver form,, stating all liability lies with the parties who’s property and who purchased the fireworks .. and any required insurance or permits is their responsibility .. and have you all sign it … maybe notarize it too

Birdman
07-11-2023, 04:10 PM
Another idea if you cannot get a clear answer.. is to print out a liability waiver form,, stating all liability lies with the parties who’s property and who purchased the fireworks .. and any required insurance or permits is their responsibility .. and have you all sign it … maybe notarize it too

I looked into waivers for something similar and found that unless they are drawn up by lawyers that have a full understanding of the laws involved that they don't always hold up in court. A notary only authenticates the signatures. Only a lawyer can ensure the words written on the document will hold up in court.

Arclight
07-11-2023, 04:22 PM
Also remember that people can't sign away legal rights with a waiver in many cases. They mostly serve as a reminder that someone agreed to do something dangerous. If you do a lot of "amateur pyro" and other activities, you might also want to look at a personal umbrella policy. It's not as good as having real pyro insurance, but it's an add-on to your homeowner's policy that will provide around $1M in coverage if something you personally did results in a person being hurt or something.

PyroManiacs
07-25-2023, 10:47 PM
Doesn't matter what anyone on here thinks. Your first call should be to the local fire marshal in the town or locality where you plan to shoot the show. If anyone is going to have the answer, they should.

Funny you say this…I can make them find out as its for one of the local fire departments 100 year anniversary, lol.

PG2159
07-26-2023, 09:23 AM
Depending where you at in PA a Fire Marshall is not synonymous with other regions in the US. PA ranks 3rd nationally in number of volunteer fire departments, so you very well could be in an area without a fire marshall on staff, those areas State Police provide fire investigations coverage. Some municipalities write their own fireworks ordinances in addition to what the state did, so I would look there first.

Often it’s hidden in through there meeting minutes which are all public record.

If it’s for the fire department, they should have a tax exempt status too, I know Bada Boom will work with you, that’s tax free. And if it’s for the fire department, I would be very surprised if they wouldn’t be willing to get an insurance policy for it.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-01-2023, 09:53 PM
Funny you say this…I can make them find out as its for one of the local fire departments 100 year anniversary, lol.

Then this should be a breeze to fix!