View Full Version : I'll Play The Blues For You. My 2023 Pyromusical.

chopperthedog
07-04-2023, 03:42 PM
Had much better shoot spot this year, and I almost put it off, cause we were dry as F here, but got rain dumped on us all Sunday. Used 21 Chinese 4 cue mods, scripted and fired using the little orange cube. Ended up with 59 cues and 150 initiators used. Did some fun cake harvesting for mines, comets and crosettes to up my game a tick. Grrrr, I did skip powering up one damn mod that was for 4 mine to willow slices, other 2 later in song went fine since they were on different mod. I'm very pleased with this one and I raised the bar on myself. Enjoy and happy shooting.

https://youtu.be/pmierBhh9os
https://youtu.be/pmierBhh9os

good day.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-05-2023, 09:07 PM
As a HUGE Blues fan and especially an Albert King fan, I was excited to see someone do a pyro musical to a Blues song. Wasn't sure if you were going to use Albert King's version or maybe Joe Bonamassa's cover. Turns out it was neither! Who's cover did you use? You did a nice job scripting to the song. I enjoyed your show. Thanks for sharing!!

chopperthedog
07-05-2023, 10:47 PM
@Rick_in_Tampa, Thanks a bunch. That is the Quintus McCormick blues band, recorded in 95 from board to 8trk ADAT, I dumped and mixed at my studio 03ish. That band was such a badass unit, had been friends with Q since early 90's, we did some great recordings in my studio that did end up getting him a record deal.

Was a lot of fun to play with individual mine, comet and crosette cues this time around. I envy all you folks with your 500 cues and pro single shot and slice stuff.

good day.

Engineer Cat
07-05-2023, 11:20 PM
Very nice job! A lot of work harvesting those effects.

chopperthedog
07-06-2023, 07:19 PM
Very nice job! A lot of work harvesting those effects.
Thanks! It's fun work. Wish I had split and twisted all the 3 and 4 shot cues on single shot racks and used 3/16 1/4 shrink to fold over and shunt vs. doing all twisting at site.

I had 2 magical moments from this show. First being the turn around sequence in middle of harp solo with crossettes and that fan slice. Last was the hard ending to black, I didn't want anything to linger. My first 2 shows there was just always something that wasn't done firing right at the end. I nailed this one.

good day.

PyroFL
07-07-2023, 08:20 AM
My only complaint is it was way too short I could watch a whole concert with your fireworks show going off.

That was so amazing and like Rick, I wasn’t sure if it would even work to blues music. You have shown with some forethought and well planned out product. You can make a great show.

Amazing!

Thank you and maybe after showing my crew I can talk them into it :-D

Birdman
07-07-2023, 10:55 AM
Really enjoyed the show. Proves you don't need a big budget to put on a quality show.

chopperthedog
07-08-2023, 08:05 PM
@PyroFL, That's too many kind words in one post. Thanks! @Birdman, Thank you sir, I'm just a dude with a head full of ideas strapped for cash. I even had to chop 16bars from guitar solo and 6 bars from the outro. Just ran out of product and lack of cues.

It was around 7:30pm I was a robot "taping, poking and wire twisting", prop owner comes up to me and asks "What time and how long?" told him "9:25pm and lasts 5min 32sec". About 45min later he comes back and says "I got you some people". He walked his whole block and invited everyone for show. It wasn't til end that I realized how much of a blessing that was, after I was done the pyros, 2 and 4 doors down and across the street went home and started doing their multiple prefused 24 shot can racks and large cakes for the next 2 hours. By him doing that, he got me that small slice of direct proximity neighborhood silence for my 5min 32sec. There was no party or anything, had couple of my own friends coming by, but I was just using his spot to do what I do.

I was in my antisocial zone bout 10 minutes before hit time, guy walks up to me and asks "How are you firing this? And only reason I ask, back in the 90's I worked for Melrose Pyrotechnics and I was wearing head phones with music in one ear and a voice in other ear calling out board cues." Gave him a quick rundown, he was impressed. He said, "I haven't done anything in over 25 years with pyro and I know what the neighbor guys do, but when Steve came over and said it was to music, figured I'd grab wife and walk down." He dug the show and made a point to tell me as he was leaving.

The other fun thing I caught as couple directly across street was leaving, wife says to husband "How come you don't do something cool like that with all the sh!t you buy?"

good day.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-10-2023, 08:02 PM
The other fun thing I caught as couple directly across street was leaving, wife says to husband "How come you don't do something cool like that with all the sh!t you buy?"

good day.

OMG... Now that is too funny!

On the flip side, your comments about being in your antisocial zone hit home with me. That's my normal operating mode. Certainly, was when I started getting serious about pyro. I have a friend who will strike up a conversation with a tumbleweed if he thought it might answer back. He got me to join PGI and branch out a little. I found out there's a ton of great people out there in the pyro world that are more than happy to help a fellow pyro any way they can. Sounds like you learned that this year too. So, my point is you should leverage those relationships and that knowledge and try to push the boundaries of your comfort zone with this hobby and the people in it. The rewards will be huge, and the memories and relationships you make will last a lifetime.