PDA

View Full Version : Bilusocn Slats / Module Shunting

Walt
06-17-2023, 02:42 PM
Something about the bilusocn that always bothered me was the difficulty in shunting your modules once you wire in the cues.
IMO makes it very unsafe to do the cue wiring prior to shows.
I finally did something about it. The speaker terminals are soldered on in a way you can piggy back onto them on the back of the board. So I designed some slats and shunts and had a small batch made using JLPCB.

Module Adapter - Solders onto the backside of the existing speaker terminal lugs, after modifying the plastic case, it exposes the 8 connections on a standard 100mil pitch female header.
Module Shunt - A simple 8 pin male shunt that will shunt the module if you are using the speaker wire terminals.
Parallel Quickplug Slat - A slat that exposes the 4 cues from the module as 4 sets of 4 parallel cues. This one is nice because you can use 1-4 MJG per cue with no need to jumper anything.
Series Quickplug slat - A slat that exposes the 4 cues as 4 sets of 6 series connections, with headers to jumper it out at 1 cue or at 3 cues as needed.
Slat Shunt - A simple 8 pin female shunt that will shunt the slats.

The idea is I can prewire my shows to the shunted slats (plywood cake boards mostly), and then night of, I just replace the shunt with the appropriate module. If I need to use non quick plug initiators, I can use the shunt on the module itself.

If it works out well I will probably just open source the files so anyone can order from JLPCB.

Arclight
06-23-2023, 11:45 AM
Nice work! JLC PCB is cheap and works. I accidentally ended up with 1,000 of a little board I use, because it wasn't all that much more expensive than the 100 I thought I was getting.

Walt
06-26-2023, 10:05 AM
Thanks! I can’t imagine doing the shows I’m doing this year without this setup. Or at least without getting the sponsors to shell out the money for a cobra system. I think I may be doing that next year though.

Really a fan of the quick plugs. So much easier

PyroJoeNEPA
06-26-2023, 06:34 PM
I had to Google JLC PCB. I had not heard of them before. My compliments on an innovative and practical upgrade to the Biluscon system! This is a very common system & I think everyone that has used one can attest to how handy & inexpensive it is. I'm sure you are going to get some good reviews on your upgrade project!

Walt
06-27-2023, 09:58 AM
I had to Google JLC PCB. I had not heard of them before. My compliments on an innovative and practical upgrade to the Biluscon system! This is a very common system & I think everyone that has used one can attest to how handy & inexpensive it is. I'm sure you are going to get some good reviews on your upgrade project!

I appreciate it! Looking forward to reporting back how it went on the night of. Setup wise its been super handy. Only thing I'd do differently is remake the slats so that it can remain shunted while connecting to the modules, and possibly go to all serial connections versus the parallels.