View Full Version : Question about firing mortar shells

ZacharyB93
06-04-2023, 10:53 PM
I recently came across a video on YouTube of someone who drilled two holes in the bottom of their Dr11 mortar tubes. They then daisy-chained each tube together by connecting firework fuse from tube to tube. Then, they cut off the bottom of their canister shell, dumped the lift charge into the tube on top of the exposed fuse, and then dropped the shell in. Then, they lit the first fuse which in turn ignited the powder and the fuse connecting to the next tube, and it continued the process all the way down the row of tubes.

I recently tried this just using 4 mortar tubes, and it seemed to work well. I was curious if anyone else has tried this or have thoughts on it?

PyroJoeNEPA
06-05-2023, 06:44 PM
First thing---don't commit many of your brain cells to videos "Groadie Cody" puts out. THERE IS More incorrect info in his videos than good data.
As far as doing this with 1.4g shells--once you modify them like that they are a 1.3 item---My question is "Why"? If you were set on doing this, I would advise drilling two holes on the same side of the mortar for out & in, then putting a piece of foil tape over the fuse. Lots of fire coming out of those guns--even with little 1.4g canister shells. I did see the video you are referencing and there are so many negative things I could point out about the rack construction, fusing method, etc---The setup you pictured with the Excal tubes with their collars intact will work, but a spark from anything in the area can get in one [or all] of the tubes and ignite the lift charge prematurely.

displayfireworks1
06-05-2023, 07:52 PM
Other than a fun experiment what is objective in doing this going forward?

Engineer Cat
06-05-2023, 11:20 PM
First thing---don't commit many of your brain cells to videos "Groadie Cody" puts out. THERE IS More incorrect info in his videos than good data.
As far as doing this with 1.4g shells--once you modify them like that they are a 1.3 item---My question is "Why"? If you were set on doing this, I would advise drilling two holes on the same side of the mortar for out & in, then putting a piece of foil tape over the fuse. Lots of fire coming out of those guns--even with little 1.4g canister shells. I did see the video you are referencing and there are so many negative things I could point out about the rack construction, fusing method, etc---The setup you pictured with the Excal tubes with their collars intact will work, but a spark from anything in the area can get in one [or all] of the tubes and ignite the lift charge prematurely.

I agree with Joe on this. If your new to fireworks there are better channels out there with proper information. I know exactly what video you are talking about. Drilling two holes in the base of these mortars is compromising the integrity of the mortars. Sure it works but for how long before the stress at the holes blows out the mortars and then you have a CATO or a shell that breaks just a few feet after lift. Two people can jump off the same bridge, but if one lands on his back and the other lands feet first, there are going to be two different outcomes. This to me is just Russian roulette. There are at least 3 other ways to accomplish this without drilling holes in the mortars and emptying the lift charge into them.

jknepp1954
06-05-2023, 11:27 PM
A recipe for disaster if you ask me!
When in doubt - dont do it!

Birdman
06-06-2023, 11:16 AM
Not to pile on but there are tried and true methods to fusing shells in a series. I see no reason to deviate from these much more accepted practices. I fail to see what you're gaining with this "frankenfusing". It's not safer or better in any way then more traditional methods.

PG2159
06-07-2023, 07:51 AM
It seems like you end up having to add extra steps to accomplish this particular method. Drill holes in the tube, pass fuse, cut the bottom of the motor to expose the lift charge. If your only doing 1 single rack it could work, but if you have several racks in close proximity this doesn't seem like it would be efficient.

For all of his interesting showmanship and blue collar engineering, and to all the safety keyboard warriors out there, CB has yet to blow him self up. I think its important to be aware of the risk. Just saying.

Engineer Cat
06-07-2023, 11:38 AM
to all the safety keyboard warriors out there, CB has yet to blow him self up.

Us safety keyboard warriors don't hide behind keyboards though. We are out in the field practicing the safe pyro techniques we try to teach other about. That dude doesn't. I'll stop there so we don't get this thread locked. ;)

displayfireworks1
06-07-2023, 04:55 PM
This is what happens when you save too many Excalibur tubes from all those kits. It just to hard to throw them away. People start to experiment with them. Anyone that does this will say Hey I made it work and soon realize it not a solution to anything for future use. And then they will finally throw away those same mortars they drilled the holes in and have 6 less Excalibur mortars. But what to do with the 40 other ones? LOL