PDA

View Full Version : Blasting license

Salutecake
06-02-2023, 06:04 PM
So a company I shoot for, asked if I wanted to do a few shows in NJ. I wasn't really interested, but what sparked my attention was mention of them sending me for a blasting license. The company that I shoot for is mostly hand fired,(in PA) except for the finale which is e fired. So apparently in NJ if you use e-match and electronically fire any part of your show, you need a blasting license. I really don't have a clue, I'm only going by a quick general conversation.
So for Arclight, I know your in California and rules may be different, is it a hassle or not to bad?
Or anyone? But I know Arclight is into this stuff.
At my age I can still jump through a few hoops, but just a few.
If/when I get more info I will post it here

wingman
06-02-2023, 07:14 PM
So a company I shoot for, asked if I wanted to do a few shows in NJ. I wasn't really interested, but what sparked my attention was mention of them sending me for a blasting license. The company that I shoot for is mostly hand fired,(in PA) except for the finale which is e fired. So apparently in NJ if you use e-match and electronically fire any part of your show, you need a blasting license. I really don't have a clue, I'm only going by a quick general conversation.
So for Arclight, I know your in California and rules may be different, is it a hassle or not to bad?
Or anyone? But I know Arclight is into this stuff.
At my age I can still jump through a few hoops, but just a few.
If/when I get more info I will post it here

This could be a case of someone using a term incorrectly. Kinda like some people who call fuses "wicks", and shells "mortars". Still, that would be weird and overkill to send you out for a legit blasting license!

Engineer Cat
06-02-2023, 07:46 PM
So this is correct. I live in NJ and I just started crewing for a display company that does over 200 shows a year with many in Jersey. They efire all their shows no matter what state it's in. I live in NJ and we are actually doing a shoot tomorrow in Mendham NJ for a country club. There are only a couple of shooters for this company with their "NJ blasters / Shooters license" so I was told they would pay for me to take the Blasting license test. Speaking with the lead shooter on the show I'm crewing on tomorrow he said he would help me with the test. It's not extremely difficult but the test is geared towards blasting and not really towards fireworks.

displayfireworks1
06-02-2023, 09:42 PM
Whatever fireworks companies are behind shooting professional displays in New Jersey are behind this E-firing displays in New Jersey in an attempt to hold on to their control of shows in that state. I suspect they are using the term "Igniter" which the ATF terms Electric Match and whatever blasters use to set off explosives as a way to keep state control of companies permitted to set off professional displays in New Jersey. Since the ATF took over who can purchase 1.3 fireworks and not the state, they came up with this regulation of how fireworks displays can be shot and how they must be setup. What they never counted on was the MGJ "Initiators" ( don't say Igniter )do the same thing and do not fall under the definition of "Igniter". So all that who can use "Igniters" and notice I didn't say purchase "Igniters" is still controlled by the state. What they never counted on MJG Initiators do not meet the definition of "Igniter". These display companies use their political connections to keep control of who can shoot displays for profit. Remember they (whatever State) can not control who can purchase 1.3 fireworks.

Salutecake
06-03-2023, 03:41 PM
Thanks Engineer Cat, if you come across anything on the rest stuff, lmk.

Arclight
06-04-2023, 11:43 PM
If If anyone wants a a good, concise book on blasting, you can get this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Explosives-Blasting-Commercial-Contractors-Engineers/dp/B0B8RCYBZL

Salutecake
06-05-2023, 11:57 AM
Thanks Arclight - will order tonight.

Arclight
06-05-2023, 12:05 PM
Thanks Arclight - will order tonight.

The author of that book is a friend of mine. It will cover the hands-on and theory you would likely need on a test. You definitely need to look up the state laws in NJ or wherever and read them. Most places have something like "General Safety Orders" from their version of OSHA or similar that specify things like how far away your smoking area has to be from blasting products, regulations about protecting traffic lanes from construction and blasting, etc.

Blasting regulations are similar to the state fire codes that use NFPA as a basis and add a few things. Except that the main hazards they care about are flying rock and people getting blown up.

Salutecake
06-05-2023, 12:18 PM
Thanks Arclight!
I'm hoping the company I shoot for, provide some type of training material for the test, but I have not gotten that far into yet.

For sure I'm getting to old for this stuff but it is somewhat intriguing, and I will probably go for it. Unless part of the test involves lugging 6 inch racks around, lol.