View Full Version : what is the difference between a titanium willow and a regular willow? (if any)

Icooclast
05-31-2023, 03:34 PM
just wondering. also what is the effect that when it explodes it looks like a willow tree with the hanging vines that look like they are about to touch the ground? i really love that effect

thanks in advance guys (and gals)

PyroFL
05-31-2023, 08:28 PM
Depends on the product it comes down to the composition that was used.

Titanium burns silver/white.

I’ve seen as a flash at the end to stars.

I would say look on YouTube to see if it’s what your looking for

Rick_In_Tampa
05-31-2023, 09:02 PM
Well there is an actual "willow" effect (which I love as well. Here's a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_p6nKGuKsc

There's also a horsetail effect that is smaller but similar in appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frVBTZoX-T8

Am I close to answering your question?

PyroFL
05-31-2023, 09:23 PM
Thanks Rick for the videos to explain, and show the differences

Rick_In_Tampa
05-31-2023, 09:30 PM
I do who.... I mean what I can!

I love the willow effect. Had them raining down on me a few years back at a show in Gillette, WY. I was in heaven! lol...

PyroFL
05-31-2023, 09:36 PM
My most favorite effect!

Last year I did a overwhelming amount of willows to fill the sky

Cost me a lot for 30s but it was amazing well worth it!

Then i just let it rain out in the end … was like magic

Rick_In_Tampa
05-31-2023, 09:44 PM
I feel what you're saying my friend! They are the main reason why I always pray for rain on the 4th. Preferably AFTER I set up, but BEFORE I shoot the show. Never know when one of those willows may hit the ground or something else and start a fire. Good to have everything nice and wet before the show.

topshelfpyro
05-31-2023, 11:15 PM
Nothing can beat a great Nishiki but please stop adding the dam color stars to it........

Scotty Rockets
06-01-2023, 05:01 AM
It’s hard to say but the best bet is the word “nishiki” the sparkly trailing stars . However it also depends what the manufacture calls it I’ve seen nishiki named “titanium willow” “golden willow” “flower brocade” and just “Willow” all these having what we call the nishiki effect.

RalphieJ
06-01-2023, 10:26 AM
Nothing can beat a great Nishiki but please stop adding the dam color stars to it........

A perfect example of when "less is more".

Icooclast
06-01-2023, 05:32 PM
exactly the effects i was looking for. thanks. horse tails have always reminded me of waterfalls (i have a fondness for actual waterfalls) so that's another good effect. thanks for including them :) this has maid an interesting topic. would like it to continue

Birdman
06-01-2023, 05:53 PM

100% agree!

jamisonlm3
06-01-2023, 06:39 PM
Nothing wrong with a little bit of color with them. What I don't like is when they add horsetails with them. Canister shell breaks are already sloppy enough. No need making them look even worse. While were on the subject of willows, Dave's Willow Beach (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y88w01THYTM) is one I really like. Would this count as a titanium willow?

Rick_In_Tampa
06-01-2023, 09:43 PM

I agree in spades!

I did a show probably 5-6 years ago that had the song "Fuel" by Metallica in it. I used nothing but willows and nishiki's and horsetails and gold gerbs and mines.... It was uber-cool (or so I thought.) Those effects were perfect for that song!

Lonely Bros Pyros
06-02-2023, 10:08 AM
This was our finale last year. In person it was incredible. Standing under an umbrella of stars. We started with 200g and worked up to 500g, 1.4pro cakes & 62mm shells, cans & NOABS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhx6ZRE3zso

Rick_In_Tampa
06-02-2023, 09:38 PM
Very nice job LBP!

Icooclast
06-03-2023, 05:53 AM
This was our finale last year. In person it was incredible. Standing under an umbrella of stars. We started with 200g and worked up to 500g, 1.4pro cakes & 62mm shells, cans & NOABS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhx6ZRE3zso

very nice display, just what the doctor ordered. might have cut the length in half if i was you and stuck with the bigger shells since it's a finale. don't get me wrong, it's awesome, but too long having the same effect to look at for 8 min.. just imo

Lonely Bros Pyros
06-04-2023, 09:47 AM
Thanks, Rick. Icooclast, it was done at the request of the audience from the year prior when we had a smaller section of willows. While I agree it may be long watching on video, in person it was awesome. The feedback we received let us know they loved it. People said they felt like 1) they were looking back in time at the formation of the universe, 2) under a giant umbrella of stars. That's what we were told.

Icooclast
06-04-2023, 05:50 PM
Thanks, Rick. Icooclast, it was done at the request of the audience from the year prior when we had a smaller section of willows. While I agree it may be long watching on video, in person it was awesome. The feedback we received let us know they loved it. People said they felt like 1) they were looking back in time at the formation of the universe, 2) under a giant umbrella of stars. That's what we were told.

ah, i see. sounds amazing. i bet it was great in person. wish i could have been there to see it

Icooclast
06-20-2023, 05:21 PM
ah, i see. sounds amazing. i bet it was great in person. wish i could have been there to see it

hey, just wanted to say that this posting above is not meant to be sarcastic or anything just started thinking it could be perceived that way, so... just making sure that is said

Lonely Bros Pyros
06-21-2023, 02:38 PM
It's all good. I didn't take it as sarcasm.