PDA

View Full Version : Inverter Generator?

gnavarr
05-21-2023, 09:41 PM
Greetings,

I've been researching generators to power my speakers/mixer for my pyromusicals and was curious on everyone's thoughts on a regular generator versus an inverter generator (other than noise level). I don't need a high wattage system for what I need to run, but the price difference between inverter an non-inverter generators is nuts. Any insight would be appreciated thank you.

Arclight
05-21-2023, 09:52 PM
Get the Honda EU2000/2200i or the knok-off version. I believe Champion has one that also accepts a propane tank. These are generators with inverters, so engine RPM can throttle down under low-load conditions and you save a lot of fuel.

If we're talking lithium battery inverter packs, those are still pretty expensive for the amount of energy,

PyroFL
05-21-2023, 11:00 PM
Well you live in FL so I think everyone who lives here needs one.

I am more about spend more today to pay less later type of person.

Food for thought, we live in Florida at some point your going to need one so I would buy a generator.

Normal generators use a lot of fuel and a lot louder but way cheaper

Inverter generators don’t use much fuel at all and very quiet but cost more

Personally am all about the inverter generator for 2 points. First have you tried to find gas during a hurricane or bad storm? Inverter generators use 1/3 of the fuel. Point 2, I’m a very light sleeper and so is my wife. Don’t believe I would like to hear a normal generator for 7-10 days 24 hours per day.

Cost more yes but to me it’s worth the extra cash. We got ours at Northern tools when it was on sale and only use Amsoil in it and it workers great!

Because of the type of business I am in I’m used to running back up for back up with another backup.

Here is my old system that should work for you;

House power to APC battery back up plugged into another APC that powers everything.

Next, On the APC I have the alarm set to go off if I lose power and have my inverter generator running in the background that I can switch to from house power to the generator as the main supply for the APC. This will work great if you don’t have house power too.

My new system is more advanced with using a battery inverter (EcoFlow Delta Pro 3.6kwh) with my inverter generator that’s hooked up to 2 APC.

jamisonlm3
05-21-2023, 11:26 PM
How much power do you need and how long do you need it? Do you plan on using it just for shows or for long power outages as well?

displayfireworks1
05-22-2023, 10:20 AM
I did a video about a generator and can't seem to find it now. I forgot what I titled it . The generator is called a "Lifter" it was a good deal at the time and I was recommending it. A few of the reasons I liked it was because I wanted a generator that I could pick up and transport by myself. Another reason was the actually generator part was made in Italy. I actually have two of these , one has a Honda engine and the other has a Subaru engine. Other than pyrotechnics I installed transfer boxes on my main fuse box to run parts of the home when the power goes out. One winter my area had a multi-day power outage and I promised myself next time I would be ready. I believe they are 2500 watts . I'll have to see if I can find that video I did. I am also not sure if they still make that model.

Arclight
05-22-2023, 10:43 AM
You can run the smaller ~2000W units for up to 8 hours on a gallon of fuel and hold a normal conversation 10 feet away. The Honda units can be daisy-chained to give you more wattage, A single on will power a fridge and a chest freezer or a small window AC Bigger units (3000W and up) get harder to load and move around without more people to help or a lift of some sort.

My opinion is that you should only get a larger unit if you need 220V to run a well pump or something on your house.

sethof
05-22-2023, 10:56 AM
Inverter generators are better in all respects except for price.
They are quieter, more fuel efficient and respond to the load level. In your case most important is that they are electronics friendly. The output is clean so as not to damage sensitive electronics equipments.

If you only need the power for your pyromusical, what you need to do is estimate your total needs including total running wattage and time before shopping for the power source. Battery power is also an option for a short term use.

On the other hand as others have mentioned this may be an opportunity to get a backup generator for your house, in which case the considerations will be different.

displayfireworks1
05-22-2023, 11:23 AM
I believe some of these cheaper generator make what is called "Dirty" power. That becomes important when using sensitive electronics. I'm not sure how to define dirty power when purchasing but I suspect for example that cheap 2 stroke one Harbor Fright sold is going to be dirty power.

PyroFL
05-22-2023, 11:37 AM
I believe some of these cheaper generator make what is called "Dirty" power. That becomes important when using sensitive electronics. I'm not sure how to define dirty power when purchasing but I suspect for example that cheap 2 stroke one Harbor Fright sold is going to be dirty power.

Correct Dave

You need pure sine wave generator, the cheap ones are good for saws, air compressors and so on but not so good on electronic gear and will mess them up.

Simple terms when looking on an oscilloscope the sine wave is all broken up and this is what damages your gear. Best to get a pure sine wave generator or buy a inventor that can clean it up for you, but with the extra cost your better off just buying the inverter generator. 6628

The term your looking for when buying a generator is "PURE SINE WAVE"

displayfireworks1
05-22-2023, 04:38 PM
Here is picture of the one generator I have now and the spec sheet. Funny thing we are talking about generators , this week I was going to do some preventive maintenance on the one that has the Subaru engine. If I do I'll have to look closely at the mental plate attached to the actual generator part. I suspect the power output is "Dirty" because when I run it to power up parts of the house I can see slight artifact on the TV.

PyroFL
05-22-2023, 05:12 PM
You truly need an oscilloscope to test it Dave but there is another way you can test it, it's not 100%

Plug a cheap radio into it and if you hear it buzzing it's not a pure sine wave but this doesn't always work.

Another way is a cheap and easy test, you can download a free oscilloscope online and use your audio jack on your laptop to test with probes. Use a mini jack, strip the wires back and use some probes from a multimeter.

Or get something cheap on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Oscilloscope-Protection-Assembled-Allicator-Sensitivity/dp/B091Y41PJ6/ref=asc_df_B091Y41PJ6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=533302844562&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4047155732976691211&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052156&hvtargid=pla-1408025961802&th=1

gnavarr
05-22-2023, 07:31 PM
I appreciate everyone's replies. My use case would strictly be for my once-a-year pyromusical an for only 2 speakers and a mixer, so I definitely don't need big power output. My main concern was what was mentioned as far as "clean" and "dirty" power with a regular generator versus an inverter generator. Thanks again, everyone!

jamisonlm3
05-22-2023, 10:51 PM
It's not a honda, but it's very small and light. It's also quiet and sips fuel. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/sportsman-1000-watt-inverter-generator-for-sensitive-electronics-gen1000i-ss Lithium power stations are also an option and will make no noise expect when the fans in them turn on. I'm hesitant to use them myself. The questionable quality involving lithium batteries is something that's hard for me to trust.

Devo
05-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Tractor Supply has the best generators for the money, haven't know anyone to have an issue with one.

Arclight
05-23-2023, 10:40 AM
I appreciate everyone's replies. My use case would strictly be for my once-a-year pyromusical an for only 2 speakers and a mixer, so I definitely don't need big power output. My main concern was what was mentioned as far as "clean" and "dirty" power with a regular generator versus an inverter generator. Thanks again, everyone!

As others have said, "dirty" power will often result in either hum or other noise coming out your speakers. You can mitigate some of this by driving a ground rod in and grounding the generator and all of your equipment. If you have this little equipment to run, a power pack of some sort would also work.

displayfireworks1
05-23-2023, 09:06 PM
Here are the generators I have . When I purchased these I wanted a generator I could carry by myself without assistance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TCCGIzVnyM