PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket DB25 Cable for slates?

PyroFL
05-19-2023, 09:18 AM
Looking to see if anyone has found a good DB-25 cable that works for slates.

The way I wire things it has to be 24 AWG or better. I know 28 which a lot of guys use with no problem work but the way I do things with splitting my 50’ cable runs 2, 3 and even 4 ways to stations for one cue, the smaller cable will not work.

Thought about just building them myself but just don’t have the time and $76.99 plus shipping from cobra is to much.

Hoping someone has found a good resource.

Finding a lot of 28 AWG, but not any 24 at what I would call reasonable pricing

jdels
05-19-2023, 10:30 AM
Looking to see if anyone has found a good DB-25 cable that works for slates.

The way I wire things it has to be 24 AWG or better. I know 28 which a lot of guys use with no problem work but the way I do things with splitting my 50’ cable runs 2, 3 and even 4 ways to stations for one cue, the smaller cable will not work.

Thought about just building them myself but just don’t have the time and $76.99 plus shipping from cobra is to much.

Hoping someone has found a good resource.

Finding a lot of 28 AWG, but not any 24 at what I would call reasonable pricing

I just went through this same exercise. Unfortunately came up with the same results you did. Ended up buying from cobra at their sale a few months ago. They ended up the cheapest for quality cables.

Robbro097
05-19-2023, 11:40 AM
Iv taken the cobra/slat route as well and the very few places these days iv found 24awg db25 (and iv searched ALOT) cobra is by far the cheapest they seem to b more of a specialty cable from anywhere else and the price reflects that. Ill keep following in the event that sum1 has been more successful.

esgrillo
05-19-2023, 11:52 AM
just bite the bullet with Cobra and be thankful you're not buying the CENT50 cable for the 36 slats off my 72M that are 25M apart lmao.... they are expensive AND heavy lol

cduesman
05-19-2023, 03:20 PM
Cobra is probably your best bet for long cables. Cables on demand makes some nice cables as well.

https://cablesondemand.com/25-pin-d-sub-cable-db25 has a variety of DB25 cables. They have 26 AWG which is a nice compromise between 24 and 28. They also have a few extra lengths that Cobra does not provide.

Most of their cables are 26 AWG, the black Low Smoke Zero Halogen are 24 AWG (but they are probably overkill/more expensive than Cobra and are quite rigid).

Most of their cables also have good copper braiding which provides a protective layer/braid around the cable.

Amazon carries their cables as well. If you search for their part numbers like the "Amphenol CS-" you will see them. Amazon prices will fluctuate. Occasionally they are heavily discounted, sometimes they are more than cablesondemand.com.

Most other places I see don't tell you the AWG. They are usally 28 AWG when they don't say.

Chris

Mattp
05-21-2023, 12:54 AM
Haven’t check recent prices,, but got mine a few years ago from monoprice.. pretty sure they’re 24ga,, and we’re very reasonable

PyroFL
05-22-2023, 07:09 PM
@ Ed

I ended up just ordering the cobra longer cables for my splits as I can't seem to find anything and don't trust using a smaller sizes with the voltage drop as its right on the edge

@ Mattp

Thanks for the idea with monoprice, I ordered 6 for my single runs to get my modules away from getting burned up

@ cduesman

ended up going with monoprice they had a online coupon which made it cheaper ... Thank you for the link