PDA

View Full Version : FireTEK User Survey

displayfireworks1
05-09-2023, 06:50 PM
Hello all

I am doing a survey of pyrotalk forums member and the FireTEK fireworks firing system. If you ARE a FireTEK user please tell me about your experience with the system. Also, if you are NOT a user of the system , what is your opinion on the FireTEK ?

Engineer Cat
05-10-2023, 01:20 AM
A few years back when I was looking at a pro system I was interested in FireTEK. It was a little more pricey than others but at that time their website was unusable and the system couldn't be purchased on it. I didn't get a reply from them when I tried to contact them about how to purchase so I assumed they were not selling their system anymore. I ended up purchasing the FireLinx system. What I liked about FireTEK as well as FireLinx was the detailed LED screen. You can easily see what is going on with the system. The Cobra has an old school digital clock like interface with minimal information which to me seems antiquated. A bit to clunky at times with firmware updates and such for this or that add on component that I read people posting about, but all in all a reliable system. Maybe for others the simple digital read out works for them as they do not want a lot of information, but for me it's not enough.

The Cat5 / 6 cables used for rails is fantastically simple. FireLinx was developing a similar feature for their FM's but have since discontinued it which is a huge bummer for me. I have thought about switching to FireTEK but at this point the FireLinx works fine for scripting my backyard shows. Now that I'm moving into working with display companies, they use FireOne for the big shoots and Cobra for the smaller ones so I'll just stick with what I have for now being I will be learning how to use the other systems for the pro shoots.

I don't know how good FireTEKs support is since I couldn't even get a response to an email about how to purchase their system, but apparently Cobra users get immediate responses when they need help, and I can tell you first hand that FireLinx returned my call on the 4th of July when it appeared I wasn't getting continuity on half my show and walked me through confirming I was good to go. They also have replied within a day to emails I have sent them and I regularly email with one of their engineers. I'd be interested to know how quick FireTEK responds to user in the USA being they are located overseas.

Just my 2 cents Dave, since you asked. lol

displayfireworks1
05-10-2023, 08:03 AM
A few years back when I was looking at a pro system I was interested in FireTEK. It was a little more pricey than others but at that time their website was unusable and the system couldn't be purchased on it. I didn't get a reply from them when I tried to contact them about how to purchase so I assumed they were not selling their system anymore. I ended up purchasing the FireLinx system. What I liked about FireTEK as well as FireLinx was the detailed LED screen. You can easily see what is going on with the system. The Cobra has an old school digital clock like interface with minimal information which to me seems antiquated. A bit to clunky at times with firmware updates and such for this or that add on component that I read people posting about, but all in all a reliable system. Maybe for others the simple digital read out works for them as they do not want a lot of information, but for me it's not enough.

The Cat5 / 6 cables used for rails is fantastically simple. FireLinx was developing a similar feature for their FM's but have since discontinued it which is a huge bummer for me. I have thought about switching to FireTEK but at this point the FireLinx works fine for scripting my backyard shows. Now that I'm moving into working with display companies, they use FireOne for the big shoots and Cobra for the smaller ones so I'll just stick with what I have for now being I will be learning how to use the other systems for the pro shoots.

I don't know how good FireTEKs support is since I couldn't even get a response to an email about how to purchase their system, but apparently Cobra users get immediate responses when they need help, and I can tell you first hand that FireLinx returned my call on the 4th of July when it appeared I wasn't getting continuity on half my show and walked me through confirming I was good to go. They also have replied within a day to emails I have sent them and I regularly email with one of their engineers. I'd be interested to know how quick FireTEK responds to user in the USA being they are located overseas.

Just my 2 cents Dave, since you asked. lol

. Thank you Engineer Cat, very detailed explanation, anyone else care to comment ? If you do or do not own the system does not matter.

BMoore
05-10-2023, 08:51 AM
I've never used FireTEK, but the one positive thing that always grabs my attention when I see it is the vast quantity of information available on the controller screen. That's the biggest pet peeve I have with my current system is the lack of information available from the remote.

bigmike06
05-10-2023, 10:41 AM
Sorry if this gets winded, but there is a lot to unpack here.

Like Engineer Cat when I first looked into getting a firing system, I over looked the FireTek because of lack of info in the website. So I bought a Cobra system. Shortly after buying the Cobra, FireTek released the new FTQ64 Modules. After seeing what the FireTek was capable of, and actually talking with Laurian I was sold. The Cobra system in my opinion, definitely feels antiquated compared the the FireTek. Its a analog system living in a digital world. While cobra's service is great, I have received the same service from Laurian. I have talked with him at all hours of the day. I actually asked him when does he sleep.

The things I like about the FireTek system:

The LCD screens on the modules and the remotes: Full of anything you would like to know. The modules not only tell you if you have continuity, but tells you how good of a connection you have. It also tells you if there is a cue programed but not connected, and if there is a cue that is connected but not programed. They also show you the radio signal strength, battery level, and firing voltage, if its slaved to the remote, if its on a private wireless network, if a program is loaded, and if the program has DMX events. All this info can be seen from the remote. It is like you are standing at the module, but you can do it from the comfort of your lawn chair. With the release of the new remote with the multi color screen, it really hits it out of the park.

Program is in the module: Each module has its program loaded into it. It only requires the remote, or master module to tell it to start, pause, or stop. The modules are not sitting in the field day dreaming, waiting for the remote to tell them to fire. Since the modules have the program, there is no need for a dedicated remote. One of the modules can be placed in master mode, and it can initiate the show. You can trigger the master module by using the buttons on the module, a simple 4 button RF remote, or by an external trigger like a different firing system.

Firmware Updates: No need to buy a proprietary programmer to update the modules. Just a simple USB drive, is all that's needed.

Time code: The remote can receive, or output time code.

Remote Audio: The remote can also act like an audio box. I'll admit the audio from the remote is not the highest quality, but if you were using it at a sporting event with shitty PA speakers its way more then adequate.

GPS Time: The remotes, and Modules can fire a show from GPS Time. (I have never used this, my yard just isn't that big) :)

USB charging: All modules and remotes charge by USB. Everyone has a few USB chargers around. You can even charge them from a portable phone charger. You can also power them from the portable phone charger to increase the firing voltage if needed. (I have popped multiple igniters that were daisy chained over 300 feet on cat5 cable, on just the onboard battery)

Lithium Battery: All modules come with Lithium batteries. No need to buy a gross of 9 volt batteries, or paying for an upgrade.

Firing Voltage: All my modules have a firing voltage around 24-28 volts when armed. No need for external batteries to increase the firing voltage.

Rails(slats): The rails are smaller, and cheaper. They have led lights on board, so you don't even have to go back to the module to see if you fixed the problem. They are fairly robust. I have them mounted in the middle of fan racks, and on my cake boards. So they are catching all the fall out from the cakes, and shells, and at the end of the night they get the hose when I'm putting out cake fires. I still haven't tore one up yet.

CAT5: The rails use standard cat5 cables. No need for expensive, heavy, bulky cables. I have purchased 100ft cat5 cables for like 12 bucks. At that price if a few get burned up, you wont get in a twist about it. And when you do burn one up, just cut the burned part off and crimp a new connector on. I have 4 milk crates with my cables, one each for 25, 50, 75, and 100ft. Those 4 milk crates have 1000's of feet of cable in them. And they stack nicely, and take up about 1 square foot of floor space stacked on top of each other.

DMX: The DMX on the FTQ modules not only turn on and off, but you can ramp the channels over time. This allows you to fade lights on and off, instead of just turning them on and off like a light switch. You can also fade into a different color if you choose to. (I have personally had around 1240 DMX events on one module. Par lights eat up events) :cool:

Size: The modules are smaller then the Cobra's. I have 4 modules, 25 or 30 rails (can't remember off the top of my head), 4 module covers, charging wires, DMX cable, small RF remotes, and USB thumb drive all in one Harbor Freight Apache 4800 case. This case is just about the same size as the 72m onboard modules I had.

Construction: The modules are made out of fire resistant FRP. The modules are also built very robustly. There is a video of a car parking on one of the modules, and the module is still firing the igniters. While I don't recommend driving on your equipment, it just goes to show how strong they really are. I'm still waiting for someone to duplicate that video with another firing system.

Here is a picture of the Apache case sitting on top of the 72m case.

Here is a picture of the case open. Not shown is the 4 module covers.

Mike

Edited to fix spelling.

displayfireworks1
05-10-2023, 02:20 PM
Great opinions and reviews. Keep them coming. I like that Apache case. I'm curious is it the same one I am seeing here on Amazon ? Interior dimensions: 8-3/8 in. x 5-11/16 in. x 3-1/4 in.
https://www.amazon.com/Apache-Watertight-Protective-Hardcase-Customizable/dp/B079KTND45/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=apache%2Bcase&qid=1683742600&sr=8-3&th=1

jamisonlm3
05-10-2023, 03:16 PM
I have to say, the use of cat5 cables is nice. If you were doing a show and found and you really needed to, you could easily repair or build a new one on site. They're inexpensive and lightweight. That's a big plus.

Scotty Rockets
05-10-2023, 03:37 PM
I been a fireTEK owner and user since 2010. I’ve used it both in hobbyist and pro shows. It’s been very reliable, no repairs other than a mod that I drove over which I had the replace the LCD screen.

A few reasons why I choose fireTEK

Rugged fire resistant fiberglass case
Small form factor
Slats
Informative display
Firing current isn’t dependent on battery current

MCave
05-10-2023, 04:47 PM
I'm also a FireTEK user and have been very happy with its functionality and its reliability. I couldn't sum up what I like about the system any better than Bigmike06 did. Thanks Bigmike06.

I started a few years ago with the Firefly system and after one pyromusical knew I needed/wanted more. That's when I bought into FireLinx with a controller and three firing modules. Like Engineer Cat explained I was also disappointed in that the development of the expansion cards was being dropped. Instead of adding more FireLinx modules I just bought several FireTEK modules and ran them in parallel with the FireLinx system using SMPTE code. Running both systems side by side really made it apparent to me how much more I like the FireTEK system. I'm not bashing the FireLinx system in any way. I have just really come to enjoy working with the FireTEK system. I never had a single issue with the FireLinx system, and their support was good.

I'm up to 9 FireTEK firing modules with controller and have converted to their quick plug rails which I really like.
As far as support, Laurian has always been quick to rely to all questions. As far as their website, its back up and functioning.

PS… I would like to sell the FireLinx system if anyone is interested. A command module and three firing modules.

topshelfpyro
05-10-2023, 10:15 PM
I've used Firetek since the modules were white and only 48 cues. When I decided to start investing in a pro grade firing system I looked at EVERYTHING available, including some that are now gone. The fact that you can plug in the cables, turn on the mod and see if you have issues right there is fantastic with every cue on the screen, the script being held in the mod instead of the remote is a great thing, being able to see the actual module screen on the remote is something that I use every time. The system is so flexible, small, upgradeable, and just about bullet proof. I have sold and bought back into the FireTEK universe 3x. Every time I could have gone with something else but nothing else has the flexibility and support of FireTEk. I've emailed Laurian at 3am just looking for an answer the next day but got a reply in minutes. I currently have over 1000 cues in the FireTEK universe and i'm just a backyard guy. There is not another system on the market that I would consider buying. None of them. I keep 12 FTQ-64 mods, antennas, remote, small remotes, external batteries and cables, USB drives, DMX cables, etc in a Seahorse 920 case with custom cut foam. (That's 768 cues)

bigmike06
05-11-2023, 07:06 AM
Great opinions and reviews. Keep them coming. I like that Apache case. I'm curious is it the same one I am seeing here on Amazon ? Interior dimensions: 8-3/8 in. x 5-11/16 in. x 3-1/4 in.
https://www.amazon.com/Apache-Watertight-Protective-Hardcase-Customizable/dp/B079KTND45/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=apache%2Bcase&qid=1683742600&sr=8-3&th=1

The one in my post above with the modules is way bigger then the one you linked to. The one you linked to on Amazon is just about the same size as the one I have the original remote in. That is the Apache 1800 from harbor freight.

Here is the link to the remote case. It's far cheaper then amazon also.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-weatherproof-protective-case-small-black-64550.html

And here is the link to the case with the modules.
https://www.harborfreight.com/4800-weatherproof-protective-case-x-large-black-64250.html

Since the new remote is just a bit bigger, the 1800 was just a hair too small. I had to step it up to the 2800.
https://www.harborfreight.com/2800-weatherproof-protective-case-medium-black-64551.html
P.S. not sure why this picture is displaying sideways.

While we are on the topic of cases, after you punch out the foam to your linking. I spray all sides of the foam with Dupli-Color Custom Wrap. Do like 3-4 light coats. It helps keep the foam from ripping apart.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/custom-wrap/dupli-color-custom-wrap-11-ounce-carbon-black-spray-paint/dplj/cwrc794

Then since the foam comes in two layers. After I spray them with the wrap, I glue them together with Gorilla Glue clear. You can also use it to make repairs. Try not to get it to close to the edges, since it does make the foam hard when it cures.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gorilla-Clear-3-75-fl-oz-Extreme-Condition-Clear-Multipurpose-Adhesive/1000372443?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-pnt-_-ggl-_-LIA_PNT_221_Glue-Adhesives-Caulk-Repair-_-1000372443-_-local-_-0-_-0&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpPKiBhDvARIsACn-gzDIXZYuU7oiICOkDVeD4GJktd3jBIKvgqwsSxUA0DcfgRKVpE 8I8M0aAl2KEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Mike

displayfireworks1
05-11-2023, 07:35 AM
At Scotty Rockets . Can you explain when you said. Firing current isn’t dependent on battery current
Here is rather informative video on the FreTEK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFv2oOfiyZE

cduesman
05-11-2023, 05:36 PM
I haven't really had the opportunity to play with fireTEK.

I think they could do much better on their website. https://www.firetekfiringsystem.com/ has been in coming-soon for how long? That's an embarrassment. https://www.keterif.com/ seems to be much more functional. Is it the official website? who knows? Is it in US currency? who knows?

General (somewhat uneducation) first impressions:

- They went a little too lean on the buttons. Yes it's nice that you can do everything at a module, but many functions using just a << and >> button seem restrictive/undesirable. The new remote helps. Perhaps the Android interface completely solves.

- Although modules appear to be crazy tough, I don't like my plugs/connectors getting dirty. Do they have any boots? no.

- RJ45 has it's pros/cons. Pins can get damaged/dirty/etc. Is it easy to swap out those connectors? who knows?

- The slats have some cool features, they have a little bit more smarts to them. Do they cost more than a Cobra slats? Who would know, do you see the prices for the slats anywhere on the internet? They might be less than a Cobra branded slat, but there are a couple 3rd party slats that have Cobra QP slats prices < $12. I do see at least one 3rd party makes some for fireTEK (but not sure it's the newer model with 16 cues).

- The fireTEK modules seem to all look alike (at least to the uneducated). I guess you can look for various extra ports like DMX. The way I understand it, there are some modules that are only 16 or 32 cues. Do they still have R1 R2 R3 R4 on them but the R2, R3 R4 might not be active/used?

- fireTEK seems to be very powerful and feature rich. Seems like they do GPS, timecode and DMX better than Cobra (Cobra doesn't do GPS yet, timecode is limited to SMPTE format, I don't do DMX but I think Cobra is behind on that compared to fireTEK.)

- It seems like the modules are "upgradable" but I don't see any upgrade prices or know exactly what upgrades are possible?

- It's pretty cool that you could in theory operate a fireTEK without a dedicated remote in case of emergency.

- The display on the new remote looks nice.

- I get the impression that fireTEK is a much smaller company, both in people that develop/produce/test the product and have a smaller number of users. The more users you have, the more likely you are to have someone find bugs in your system. It's basically more testing that's occurring.

- I don't know anyone that owns fireTEK. If I need to borrow additional modules, I'm out of luck.

- I don't see a ton of fireTEK gear being sold on the used market. I don't know what the average resale value is. Cobra seems to always be bought/sold. It retains it's value well. Over the years, I've sold one type of mod to buy other types/etc. (Cobra has gotten more expensive over the years, but part of that is just inflation.)

I've used manual firing systems, FireOne, Merlin/Merlock and Cobra over the years. I own/use mainly Cobra now for my personal use.

Chris

displayfireworks1
05-12-2023, 08:03 AM
I think they could do much better on their website. https://www.firetekfiringsystem.com/ has been in coming-soon for how long? That's an embarrassment. https://www.keterif.com/ seems to be much more functional. Is it the official website? who knows? Is it in US currency? who knows?
n

That keterif website you mention is in France I believe. I know years back one of my former advertisers XFX Pyro was selling the FireTEK in United States, not sure if they continue to sell it or not. I suspect they do not. .

bani
05-28-2023, 06:26 AM
Like Engineer Cat I was shopping around and was comparing Firelinx and Firetek. I attempted to contact Firetek about some technical questions I had about their system and just got a snarky sarcastic response. I ended up buying Firelinx instead of Firetek.

Like Engineer Cat I was disappointed that Firelinx has completely abandoned the expansion port - one of the primary reasons I purchased their product - and with their latest release of modules, it appears they have compeltely abandoned the hobbyist market entirely in favor of big display companies.

Firetek blew me off and Firelinx abandoned me. I'm in the process of evaluating other systems.

topshelfpyro
05-28-2023, 07:34 AM
Like Engineer Cat I was shopping around and was comparing Firelinx and Firetek. I attempted to contact Firetek about some technical questions I had about their system and just got a snarky sarcastic response. I ended up buying Firelinx instead of Firetek.

Like Engineer Cat I was disappointed that Firelinx has completely abandoned the expansion port - one of the primary reasons I purchased their product - and with their latest release of modules, it appears they have compeltely abandoned the hobbyist market entirely in favor of big display companies.

Firetek blew me off and Firelinx abandoned me. I'm in the process of evaluating other systems.

Some people that attempt to be humorous probably should not be depending on the audience. Maybe you should consider joining the firetek users Facebook group and ask whatever questions. Laurian has always been more than responsive to anything I questioned or needed assistance with but sometimes our individual humor doesn't mix well. Lol.

As a backyard guy with 16 FTQ mods so far I wouldn't even consider another system. I sold my original 48FX system when I started using the newer FTQ64 mods. I had ZERO issues mixing them but I'm one of those that like shiny new things and everything being the same.

I have a diehard Cobra friend and if he wasn't so deep in Cobra gear I bet he would upgrade to fireTEK.

Just my $.02 before you continue to waste your money on something less capable, modular, and tough.

Scotty Rockets
05-28-2023, 12:17 PM
“I attempted to contact Firetek about some technical questions I had about their system and just got a snarky sarcastic response.”

This absolutely surprises me, maybe something was lost in translation? Laurian the owner is Romanian, however I never felt this snarky sarcasm coming from him. I was part of team firetek and helped many users through the firetek Facebook users group.

Firelinx
07-18-2023, 02:54 PM
Hi bani!

Again, we apologize if you feel as we abandoned you. However, as we have explained in previous posts, the development of the OPN32 came to a stop due to costs. The parts to develop it were extremely costly which would mean the OPN32 would sell at a higher cost than our Firing Module. Even researching alternative parts drove the cost too high. We do appreciate that many Firelinx users would benefit from a system such as the OPN32, however regretfully it is not available as we envisioned due to development costs.

Please reach out to use via email at info@firelinx.com. We'd love to learn what you currently have and how we can help your situation.

Sincerely,
Firelinx