PDA

View Full Version : Simulating Strobe Pot w/DMX RGB Light

Backyard Joe
05-07-2023, 10:40 PM
Hello all!

I’ve been working on this year’s show and I want to simulate a strobe pot effect using DMX RGB lights. I’m looking to daisy chain four or five lights and get random strobe on each individual light. I’m scripting with Cobra Show Creator. Does anyone have any experience with doing this effect via DMX? If so, how do I go about it?

PyroFL
05-08-2023, 08:07 AM
100% it can be done and I have done it, but in the end I switch back to normal strobes

Your DMX lights have strobe control from 1-255 which controls the speed.

You will need to program/script each light at a different pulse rate to have it look like strobes. If you really wish to make it look random, you will have to change up the pulse rate per light or you could program/script per line of when each one is to flash.

Can it be done? 100%

I got it down really good, but it needs a lot of programming/scripting to make it not look like strobing lights. Also you lose the effect with the smoke too.

Personally I would look at your time, budget and if its all worth it or not. You will need around 100 lines per 5 sec depending what color you use outside RBG.

To me it was just easier to order a case and be done with it.

My show this year is over 800 cue lines and to add another 600+ lines of script I just don't have the time for, easier to just buy them.