PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks stores on the border

displayfireworks1
05-07-2023, 08:45 PM
I was visiting one of my advertisers and their new store F & V Fireworks . One of their stores sits right on the border between Pennsylvania and Ohio. I always loved this state line intersection . It is typical how many fireworks were set up over the years to catch traffic crossing from one state to another , particularly when one of the states are not Consumer Fireworks legal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnio97Pq24o
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8500506,-80.5190453,3a,75y,326.32h,83.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3om2cKH7mOssqGDkSJp3aQ!2e0!7i1 6384!8i8192

RalphieJ
05-19-2023, 01:38 PM
When New York banned fireworks in the late '40's, small shops on the CT border took advantage of the situation. In the '50's it was common for New Yorkers to travel the back roads (Route 84 had not yet been built) to load up their trunks for their backyard displays. And they sold everything, including all of the popular ground salutes, large color shells, and aerial Day-Go Bombs. For a 10-year old kid, it was a much-anticipated adventure.

FinnAmerican
05-19-2023, 02:05 PM
Why don't Firework stores check the purchasers ID before selling to them. To make sure they're from a Fireworks "Friendly" state...

flashfuse
05-19-2023, 07:11 PM
Think about what you just said? Firework stores are in it for making a living, not to police who buys & lights them off in a fireworks friendly state of not, PA at one time was an illegal state and had multiple places of Firework businesses which could not sell to people in PA, if it weren't for the illegal states people purchasing, most of them would be out of business by now.

jamisonlm3
05-19-2023, 09:36 PM
Why don't Firework stores check the purchasers ID before selling to them. To make sure they're from a Fireworks "Friendly" state...They do probably check their ID, but it's only an age check. They aren't required by law to refuse business from other states so they're more than happy to sell to people making the long trips. After all, they're lawfully doing business in their own state so it's doesn't really matter to them where the fireworks go after they're sold. That's the customer's problem.

gweilo
05-20-2023, 10:02 AM
6626The State Line

wingman
05-20-2023, 05:12 PM
They do probably check their ID, but it's only an age check. They aren't required by law to refuse business from other states so they're more than happy to sell to people making the long trips. After all, they're lawfully doing business in their own state so it's doesn't really matter to them where the fireworks go after they're sold. That's the customer's problem.

Amen to that. There was (or still is?) a fireworks store on the Lummi nation reservation in Washington state that wouldn't sell to anyone with an out of state license. At least this was October 1999. A friend of mine I was visiting had to make the purchase and I paid him back once we left the store. It was a pretty unusual regulation at the shop and I imagine there were ways around it like my friend and I had done, but what a way to restrict business.

joewad
05-21-2023, 09:47 AM
6626The State Line

I've always been told a few more inches makes a difference

Arclight
05-21-2023, 04:08 PM
Why don't Firework stores check the purchasers ID before selling to them. To make sure they're from a Fireworks "Friendly" state...

This isn't how illegal fireworks purchasing works. It's not their problem what you do with them once you leave. Most places will have a "You can light them off in that vacant lot over there if you want to" story if anyone asks if it's legal to bring them back/set them off where they are from.