PDA

View Full Version : Finally submitted for the Type 54

Engineer Cat
05-04-2023, 10:30 PM
So I finally got my ducks in a row and submitted my application for the 54. The one issue I ran into was getting fingerprinted. The application says to get fingerprinted at a law enforcement agency but when I called my town police to schedule a time they said "we don't fingerprint the public". So I explained it was for an ATF application and it says to contact a law enforcement agency to do this. They said I am better off going to a fingerprinting company to get it done if I wanted it quick. They pointed out that 1 block from the Police dept. there is a place called IdentiGO which does fingerprinting for all types of reasons such as TSA pre check, firearms, background checks etc. So I made an appointment there. I'm hoping that doesn't cause a problem with my application.

I think my biggest issue is that I live in NJ, and not in the pretty mountain or grassy field locations. Although I'm a new 54 applicant, I do have an Employee Possessor for the pyro club I belong to in PA. So I should be known in their database when they plug in my name. My contingency letter is from the closest place located near our different shoot sites in PA.

I assume if I get to the interview portion they will ask me questions about living in NJ but shooting pyro in PA. I'm also going to a PGI class this weekend 5/6 at the place I have my contingency letter from, so I'm hoping this other information helps to explain I enjoy this hobby and know how to do it safely, and just looking to advance in it.

Dave, sorry I couldn't make the Kellner's PGI course. I know many people in our club including our president was there. It's just to far of a drive for me (6 hours one way).

displayfireworks1
05-05-2023, 07:12 AM
You will be fine , I am glad you are making the move to get licensed. NJ can't stop you from getting ATF licensed. The Type 54 User of Display Fireworks allows you to cross state lines, thus travel into Pennsylvania to purchase and shoot will not be a problem. For fingerprints bring that official FBI-Explosive fingerprint card with you to one of those fingerprint services . I always get this fingerprint question in class. These agencies do not share fingerprints , so no matter how many times you were fingerprinted in the past for CDL , child worker clearance etc. you still need to give the ATF their own dedicated set. I believe some of those UPS stores also do fingerprints. If any of them tell you they don't do ink fingerprints you can buy fingerprint ink on eBay and bring it with you.
Years back a forums member referenced New Jersey as, "New Jersey, where fun goes to die". LOL

Salutecake
05-05-2023, 07:54 AM
Like Dave said you'll be fine!
The fingerprint thing, lol, when I started looking to get my finger prints done, it said it had to be with ink. I asked a local police guy about getting finger printed and he said sure stop over some day, we still do ink. So I stopped over one day and the police cheif was there, I told him that I talked to one of his officers and well here I am to get fingerprinted. He told me the same thing, that we don't do it for the public, lol I say lol because they are public serbants not providing a public service.
The second part of this: I'm from a rural area, and as a police chief stand point wouldn't you want to get to know a person that is applying for and explosive license on your watch? So when the calls come in about loud noises you might have a good idea on who to get in touch with?
Anyway, I think I ended up at UPS and the did both, ink and digiital, I also believe the woman said she a few of theese a year and it seems like the ATF is starting to accept the digital because nobody does ink anymore. At the time, 50 bucks tops for both, it's a once and done operation, so whatever it was I paid it.
Good luck! I think the worst of the whole process is the waiting.

At least in NJ you now get to smoke pot without worry, lol.

BMoore
05-05-2023, 08:47 AM
Fingerprinting was the toughest part of the whole process whenever I first applied. I went to our local police department and they tried their best to roll ink fingerprints a few times but they clearly weren't going to work they were smudged so bad. I'm not even sure it was fingerprint ink they were using. They suggested I try the county police department and apparently they had one lady who knew how to do ink fingerprints but she was rarely at the station and they couldn't give me any sort of schedule or suggestion as to when to come back. Luckily I had a connection who was able to tell me who she was and I was able to track her down on F.B. Thankfully, she was very sympathetic and scheduled a time to meet me to get it done. If the ATF isn't accepting digital prints yet then they really need to, because rolling ink fingerprints is becoming a lost art.

Engineer Cat
05-05-2023, 03:57 PM
Yea Dave, I took the fingerprint cards I got from the ATF and brought them with me. No one does ink anymore. The guy that did them told me every government agency they submit prints for takes the digital prints now. So I didn't even think that part would be a problem. LOL

We'll see what happens. I will follow up when I know steps have been taking like cashing my check. lol The paperwork is arriving tomorrow, I paid to track it. lol

Oh and it cost $22.00 to get the prints done.

PG2159
05-08-2023, 10:14 PM
For those that need fingerprinting, select UPS stores offer that service. I have to get it done for a few times for nursing licensure and it’s a breeze with them. My cost was always covered by my
Employer so not sure on cost. You do have to make an appointment though.

Arclight
05-08-2023, 10:51 PM
In case anyone is wondering about how long it takes to get licensed, here is my latest experience with applying for an importer's license:

3/7/23 Application mailed Priority USPS
4/14/23 Call from ATF
4/17/23 On-site interview and magazine inspection
4/28/23 Additional magazine worksheet requested for type 3 day boxes
5/8/23 - License arrived in mail

Engineer Cat
05-30-2023, 06:10 PM
UPDATE:
5/4/23 Mailed my application priority USPS
5/6/23 - Application was delivered
5/9/23 - Check was cashed
5/30/23 - Call from the ATF to schedule an interview.
Interview scheduled for Monday 6/5/23

Because I am using contingency storage the agent said it would take no longer than 30 mins for the face to face interview.

PyroJoeNEPA
05-31-2023, 09:42 AM
When I got my "54" about 12-13 years ago neither the local police or county sheriffs office could to fingerprints. They referred me to the PA State Police. When I went there, I was told there was only one officer that did prints---but they could not give me a "shift time" to meet up with him to get it done....they said to call and ask if "officer XYZ" was on site & hopefully when I got there he would be there and not dispached on a call. It took a few days, but I finally got it done.
I'm glad to hear there are more practical options available for fingerprinting now available to the "general public".

Salutecake
05-31-2023, 12:48 PM
Good Luck Engineer Cat!!! It should be a breeze, I know it's hard sometimes but let them do the talking, and as Dave says, it is more informational, not really a question and answer interview.

displayfireworks1
05-31-2023, 06:24 PM
When I got my "54" about 12-13 years ago neither the local police or county sheriffs office could to fingerprints. They referred me to the PA State Police. When I went there, I was told there was only one officer that did prints---but they could not give me a "shift time" to meet up with him to get it done....they said to call and ask if "officer XYZ" was on site & hopefully when I got there he would be there and not dispached on a call. It took a few days, but I finally got it done.
I'm glad to hear there are more practical options available for fingerprinting now available to the "general public".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJWIJ-xA6_w

Engineer Cat
06-05-2023, 01:57 PM
Had my interview today. Took about 45 mins. Everything went very well. He said I should get my permit in the mail in about 2 weeks. He was even shocked how quick I went from submitting the application to approval.

Thanks to everyone here for helping me in understand the process. It was pretty much 30 days. He said it usually takes 3 months. With the 4th just a month away I wasn't even considering I would have it before the 4th.

displayfireworks1
06-05-2023, 03:04 PM
I'm happy for you and glad you made the move. Of course let us know when you receive it in the mail. I'm feeling it will come in the mail soon before July 4th. On side note , so much for that false believe that if you live in New Jersey you can not get an ATF license.

Engineer Cat
06-05-2023, 05:35 PM
I'm happy for you and glad you made the move. Of course let us know when you receive it in the mail. I'm feeling it will come in the mail soon before July 4th. On side note , so much for that false believe that if you live in New Jersey you can not get an ATF license.

Absolutely right Dave!

Salutecake
06-06-2023, 11:41 AM
Congrats! The biggest thing to remember is not to sign it when you get get it.

Birdman
06-06-2023, 03:39 PM
Congrats!

As for fingerprinting, I need to get these done whenever we a get a new government account at my job so I can access their computer network and data. Some will accept digital fingerprints and some will only accept ink. My local police does ink fingerprints once a week by appointment for a small fee. Had one state lose my and several other employees prints and I still have not submitted new ones because my local police wasn't doing them during the pandemic. To this day I think only one guy on our team has "legit" access to their network. No matter what though it's a PITA and also a bit degrading. The one time my wife asked if I could pick something up at store after getting my prints done and I told her I wasn't going anywhere but home until I could get every bit of ink off my fingers.

Engineer Cat
06-06-2023, 09:27 PM
Congrats! The biggest thing to remember is not to sign it when you get get it.

I remember, but I forget the reason why.

Salutecake
06-07-2023, 07:16 AM
LOL At the moment I can't either but i think it has to do with signing it in front of your contingent people. It's been a while, lo.

displayfireworks1
06-07-2023, 07:53 AM
I believe the distributor needs what is termed a "Wet Signature" as opposed to a hard copy of an already signed document . Seems unusual in this digital age but that is how they want it. Ideally the document should have two signature lines so they can match the signature on the copy of the signed original. I would still fax or email an unsigned copy to the distributor so they can at least start a file on you to make your anticipated future purchase smoother. Plus this will give confirmation to the distributor he helped you get licensed and has a potential new 1.3 customer.

Engineer Cat
06-07-2023, 11:33 AM
I believe the distributor needs what is termed a "Wet Signature" as opposed to a hard copy of an already signed document . Seems unusual in this digital age but that is how they want it. Ideally the document should have two signature lines so they can match the signature on the copy of the signed original. I would still fax or email an unsigned copy to the distributor so they can at least start a file on you to make your anticipated future purchase smoother. Plus this will give confirmation to the distributor he helped you get licensed and has a potential new 1.3 customer.

Got it. Will do. Thanks!

Engineer Cat
06-27-2023, 10:10 PM
Just a final report on this. Sorry for the delay.

UPDATE:
5/4/23 Mailed my application priority USPS
5/6/23 - Application was delivered
5/9/23 - Check was cashed
5/30/23 - Call from the ATF to schedule an interview.
6/5/23 - Had in person interview
6/20/23 Received 54 permit in the mail.

There were some things the agent had me adjust on the permit on the spot to make sure it was processed. He was very helpful and I never felt like I was in a quiz show. He was just asking me simple questions about the application and then mostly explaining to me what I need to do to keep things right with them. The only part my wife didn't like was that they can come to the house at any time for a paperwork check to make sure I'm keeping my records and I can't tell them they can't come in. But he did give me a tip for dealing with that "intrusion". I'm using contingency so might be more difficult to blow them off if you have a mag on your property.

Anyway, as a lot of you know, I live in NJ the anti pyro state and I had no problems getting the 54 permit. HOWEVER that only means I can buy 1.3 product and transport it, pretty much anywhere. BUT it does not give me the right to shoot it anywhere. Some might not know that.

displayfireworks1
06-28-2023, 08:23 AM
The man from New Jersey now has his ATF license as of June 20th, nice. Don't forget to make a copy and keep it in all your vehicles. I tell license holders, if you are ever involved in an event , it will be during transportation of products. Plus for most of us , not matter where we go our vehicles are usually close by and you can access the documents if needed. As far as shooting fireworks , the ATF license carries what I call "Pretend Weight", when you try to get permits or ask permission to shoot at a location etc. the locals usually ask if you are ATF licensed. When you answer in the affirmative it helps get permission faster because most locals don't understand the full use scope of the ATF license. They feel better knowing "He is licensed".

Engineer Cat
06-28-2023, 10:18 PM
The man from New Jersey now has his ATF license as of June 20th, nice. Don't forget to make a copy and keep it in all your vehicles. I tell license holders, if you are ever involved in an event , it will be during transportation of products. Plus for most of us , not matter where we go our vehicles are usually close by and you can access the documents if needed. As far as shooting fireworks , the ATF license carries what I call "Pretend Weight", when you try to get permits or ask permission to shoot at a location etc. the locals usually ask if you are ATF licensed. When you answer in the affirmative it helps get permission faster because most locals don't understand the full use scope of the ATF license. They feel better knowing "He is licensed".

Good to know! Thanks!