PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone date or know about this

displayfireworks1
05-03-2023, 09:06 PM
Sent to me and ask to identify. If someone knows of it please post. To me it looks like some bootleg item but I'm not sure.

gweilo
05-04-2023, 09:40 AM
I remember these. I think this version of a tube salute imitation actually had a gelatin capsule within (packed in sawdust) containing only the legal 50mg of flash. You were lucky if you actually did get a "pop" out of them.

displayfireworks1
05-04-2023, 12:50 PM
I remember buying those fake M-80's back in the day. After you got home and lit one , you were like what the hell is this . LOL When you opened it up, it had a two part capsule that looked like pill with a hole in it and the Visco fuse into a hole in the capsule. Would love to know the history on that capsule use. I suspect it was the easiest way to measure 50 mg for the manufacture.
I keep wanting to measure 50 mg of powder on a scale to show everyone how little it is. I just don't have a scale that goes that low.

wingman
05-05-2023, 09:42 AM
LOL! I remember buying one over 30 years ago from a classmate in high school for 50 cents. I hadn't had something like it before, so I hung onto it thinking it was bootleg. When I decided to light it, my brother and I were out in the yard and dad was mowing the lawn. I lit the thing, ran back and wouldn't ya know, just saw a puff of smoke and heard a very light *pop* - the lawn mower was louder than it. Not even close as loud as a 50mg black cat.

Dave, you could always grab a black cat cracker from the 80s or early 90s as they were consistently 50mg on the mark. They were known for maxing out to the powder limit without actually going over. Pour it out on a white piece of paper and you'll get a good photo for reference. Today's crackers would actually be louder if they had 50mg in them but not many do.