PDA

View Full Version : Securing Cakes

JohnJr88
05-01-2023, 09:02 PM
So I've seen a few methods of how to secure cakes so they don't tip over while firing. I used the method of cutting the bottom paper portion of the cake and using liquid nails to a piece of wood. However, this was pretty time consuming/messy and made for more work during setting up and cleaning up than I would have liked.

I was thinking of zip tying my cakes together this year instead of the liquid nails. Using one set around the bottom and another around the top (obviously around the cakes, not over the top of the cake).

Anyone ever do this?

I just thought this would be easier to zip tie 2,3,4 cakes together rather than lining them up or organizing them on a board.

esgrillo
05-01-2023, 10:26 PM
I use clear packing tape... fast and secures all the cake so they are easy to trasnport as well

rthruska
05-01-2023, 11:43 PM
I use clear packing tape... fast and secures all the cake so they are easy to trasnport as well

I agree with this. Much quicker. I group the smaller cakes together and tape them, no need on 500g cakes and above.

pyromd
05-02-2023, 01:27 AM
I think it all depends on the flatness of the surface that you are using. I'm always warry of taping items together. I use liquid nails method. It's time consuming but it works.

Salutecake
05-02-2023, 08:00 AM
So alot depends on your set up and as mentioned above ground conditions. If you have fairly level and stable gound, glueing to boards, taping, stakes around them, blocks around them, and even now they sell a product like a stickey cardboard to place cakes on.
On one shoot, I have 4 positions on land and 4 positions on water. Most is 1.3 and on the water usually just mortars, to much to worry about when the cakes catch fire. On the land the positions are about 50 ft apart and cobra is used, so arranging cakes for position, effect and connectivity to the models become a bit more critical. If is was just setting them off, taping groups together is pretty fast and easy.

Another thing to consider is the cake, some cakes barely move when ignited and other jump up and down and move all around, 200g cakes seem the most unstable.

This year I was thinking of using something like Alien tape, 2 sided and reuseable so they claim and no mention when used with fireworks.

A lot of different ways, good luck.

RalphieJ
05-02-2023, 11:16 AM
Filament tape is extremely strong, has always worked for me. I've even used it to spike shells.

Robbro097
05-02-2023, 01:49 PM
Filament tape is extremely strong, has always worked for me. I've even used it to spike shells.

Filament tape is what i use when going with th bundle method a cpl wraps of that stuff os no joke.

esgrillo
05-02-2023, 02:59 PM
All my cakes are on plywood sheets sitting on pallets so it works well in that application

pyromd
05-02-2023, 03:22 PM
Those of you who tape your cakes do you notice a higher frequency of cake fires? That's one of the reasons I stay away from bundling them up and using tape.

BMoore
05-02-2023, 05:10 PM
Those of you who tape your cakes do you notice a higher frequency of cake fires? That's one of the reasons I stay away from bundling them up and using tape.

I bag my cakes individually for rain protection and then tape onto garden stakes or in groups. Even with all that plastic I've never noticed an increase in cake fires. Cake fires tend to start inside and burn their way out. Plastic tends to melt rather than catch fire.

joewad
05-03-2023, 05:45 AM
2 or 3 wraps of "high-end" duct tape. I've noticed no increase in fires which are practically non-existent with 1.4 cakes. Now smaller 1.3 cakes that's a different story as far as fire but I use basically the same method except adding a additional wrap of good duct tape and adding staked rebar.

Salutecake
05-03-2023, 09:41 AM
Hey BMoore, are you bagging 1.4 cakes and then shooting through the bags? If so what typed of bags are you using? Depending on the weather forecast I will typically cover or bag my 1.3 cakes but they usually shoot through anything.

PyroJoeNEPA
05-03-2023, 10:42 AM
Another method--not mentioned yet--[ if you are using a board] is to put a drywall screw sticking up about an inch or so on two opposite sides of a cake and run a piece of steel wire [like picture hanging wire-or drop ceiling wire] over the top of the cake--between the tubes==and a simple twist or two on the drywall screws. Easy disassembly after the show, no dealing with liquid nails and no damage to the plywood.

esgrillo
05-03-2023, 02:28 PM

I really have not noticed much of a difference. I get a couple of cake fires every year and just deal with them as they happen. For me bundling is the best option because I have some effects that have LOTS cakes going off at the same time. For example my finale start always has 90 200g bump bears. I have 30 in 3 locations in 3 groups of 10. Each bundle of 10 is fast fused. Having these bundles taped and mobile is a huge plus on set up day.

jdels
05-05-2023, 07:59 PM
I shoot on the water and use boards. A five spot of hot glue works great. They spent cakes break off easy and a few minutes with a heat gun and scraper and they are clean. Ive been using the same ones for many years.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_HzNA46MHgo

https://youtu.be/_HzNA46MHgo

PyroWalker
05-06-2023, 06:16 PM
I agree with this. Much quicker. I group the smaller cakes together and tape them, no need on 500g cakes and above.

If you watch my video at the 2:58minute mark, you will see a large 500g ring cake CATO and send the last three large shells flying into the woods! Always secure your cakes, no matter how big! https://youtu.be/IPZ8YLFtG6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPZ8YLFtG6E

morrison2951
05-07-2023, 10:12 AM
I've used cinder blocks and bricks with good results.

schmidlapp
05-08-2023, 03:48 PM
Everything gets glued and screwed down.

24' pontoon converted to barge. Have 2' x 4' wooden slats. For cakes. Mortar racks are screwed into the deck.
Never had anything tip over on me.
I use a long handle ice scraper to remove old adhesive so I can reuse for next show

jdels
05-08-2023, 04:27 PM

24' pontoon converted to barge. Have 2' x 4' wooden slats. For cakes. Mortar racks are screwed into the deck.
I use a long handle ice scraper to remove old adhesive so I can reuse for next show

Thats a nice set up. Ive considered similar but the waves on the bay just wont allow it.

topshelfpyro
05-08-2023, 07:27 PM
I bag my cakes individually for rain protection and then tape onto garden stakes or in groups. Even with all that plastic I've never noticed an increase in cake fires. Cake fires tend to start inside and burn their way out. Plastic tends to melt rather than catch fire.

DITTO on the individual bags. I bag everything, then I don't have to think about it again. Just shoot thru the bag. I used thin black garbage bags and also drawstring tall kitchen without any issues.

Engineer Cat
05-09-2023, 01:04 AM

Nice layout. At first I was like "why naked cakes", then I was like OHHHH to keep the cake fires to a minimum. I might have to do this on the 4th since I anchor a dock in the water for my show. My only critique would be some of the racks aren't perpendicular to the audience. I realize the barge is well far away from the audience but that doesn't matter when following standards.

schmidlapp
05-09-2023, 06:42 PM
My only critique would be some of the racks aren't perpendicular to the audience.

Thanks, my only racks that aren't perpendicular to audience are 6 shot fan racks that I built for effect. They are screwed down to the barge in 4 places. We had only 1 small fire after the show, some tightly packed 200g cakes. Our safety boat has a 12v washdown pump and hose. Worked great. The naked cakes leave a lot less to clean up as well. I've got a much larger budget this year,
Shooting about 50% 1.4 pro.

FWGuy
05-16-2023, 08:39 AM
I initially started gluing (liquid nails, PL premium, loctite quick grab) all cakes to plywood sheets for years and then grew tired of removing those cakes from the boards...it is very difficult and messy to get the cakes off the plywood and both get destroyed in the process in addition to sore feet from trying to kick the cakes off ;(. I switched entirely now to staking and wrapping with either duct or some reinforced packaging tape...easier cleanup and much easier on the back to move and relocate if needed...all of this is on dirt or grass.