PDA

View Full Version : Type 4 Magazine Metal Recommendation

Caleb Sanders
04-26-2023, 12:47 AM
I am building a Type 4 Magazine. Does anybody have any recommendations for metal sheeting?

Also, any recommendations to attaching an ATF compliant lock box. Do I have to weld these on or is there another way?

Thanks,
Caleb

Arclight
04-26-2023, 03:30 PM
1. Info on construction methods:
https://www.atf.gov/file/58711/download
https://www.atf.gov/explosives/docs/ruling/2012-5-type-4-magazine-construction/download

They just specify "metal covered wood" as an allowed method. Reading the other CFRs and ATF bulletins, I believe that the intent is "fire resistance," so that the outside of the magazine itself won't catch fire from an ember or something. My suggestion would be corrugated metal from your local hardware store. Do make sure that any metal fasteners either don't penetrate all the way inside or are ground down and covered with some caulking if they do. ATF does not like to see any bare steel inside a magazine.

2. You can attach the lock boxes by other methods. They also allow "hockey puck" style locks: The key is that it should not be possible to unbolt it from the outside. So carriage bolts into the wood frame with the nuts on the inside or similar.

§ 555.210 Construction of type 4 magazines.

A type 4 magazine is a building, igloo or “Army-type structure”, tunnel, dugout, box, trailer, or a semitrailer or other mobile magazine.

(a) Outdoor magazines —

(1) General. Outdoor magazines are to be fire-resistant, weather-resistant, and theft-resistant. The ground around outdoor magazines must slope away for drainage or other adequate drainage be provided. When unattended, vehicular magazines must have wheels removed or otherwise be effectively immobilized by kingpin locking devices or other methods approved by the Director.

(2) Construction. Outdoor magazines are to be constructed of masonry, metal-covered wood, fabricated metal, or a combination of these materials. Foundations are to be constructed of brick, concrete, cement block, stone, or metal or wood posts. If piers or posts are used, in lieu of a continuous foundation, the space under the building is to be enclosed with fire-resistant material. The walls and floors are to be constructed of, or covered with, a nonsparking material or lattice work. The doors must be metal or solid wood covered with metal.

(3) Hinges and hasps. Hinges and hasps are to be attached to doors by welding, riveting, or bolting (nuts on inside of door). Hinges and hasps must be installed so that they cannot be removed when the doors are closed and locked.

(4) Locks. Each door is to be equipped with

(i) two mortise locks;

(ii) two padlocks fastened in separate hasps and staples;

(iii) a combination of a mortise lock and a padlock;

(iv) a mortise lock that requires two keys to open; or

(v) a three-point lock. Padlocks must have at least five tumblers and case-hardened shackle of at least 3⁄8 inch diameter. Padlocks must be protected with not less than 1⁄4 inch steel hoods constructed so as to prevent sawing or lever action on the locks, hasps, and staples. These requirements do not apply to magazine doors that are adequately secured on the inside by means of a bolt, lock, or bar that cannot be actuated from the outside.

Caleb Sanders
04-26-2023, 11:32 PM
Thank you. That makes sense. The carriage bolt idea was helpful as well.

I am also planning pinless hinges for the doors unless there is a better idea.

displayfireworks1
04-27-2023, 07:25 AM
There is great post here on the forums with many pictures from a Florida user named Bezerk , when he built his magazine . I can't seem to find it. Would be a good reference for you. Once you get yours going it would be great to see some pictures as the job progresses.

Arclight
04-27-2023, 05:09 PM
There is great post here on the forums with many pictures from a Florida user named Bezerk , when he built his magazine . I can't seem to find it. Would be a good reference for you. Once you get yours going it would be great to see some pictures as the job progresses.

Dave, I think it's this one. I try to bookmark these posts since there is so little information out there on ATF stuff:

https://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?8931-Start-of-a-Magazine&highlight=magazine

displayfireworks1
04-28-2023, 10:03 AM
Dave, I think it's this one. I try to bookmark these posts since there is so little information out there on ATF stuff:

https://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?8931-Start-of-a-Magazine&highlight=magazine

Yes that is it, thanks for finding and posting.