PDA

View Full Version : Got My Type 54

Blackdevil77
04-15-2023, 10:50 AM
Finally got my Type 54 license. I put it off for years because I got discouraged since I live in NY, but finally just went for it and it all worked out. It was actually much easier than I thought it would be. Thank you to Dave and all those that guided me through the process!

displayfireworks1
04-15-2023, 07:14 PM
Congratulations on receiving the ATF license. I am teaching an ATF class next weekend at Kellner Fireworks, someone on his Facebook commented he was from New York State and told everyone to forget about it if you lived in New York State. Of course I responded that was not true. Your post came along just in time, thanks. A state can require all of the pyro-technician shooter certifications they want, the ATF User of Display Fireworks license aka Type 54 is not contingent upon any of that.
Back when Kellner Fireworks was having “Open Shoots” (which I wish he would start doing again) I helped a fireworks enthusiast living in an apartment in New York City get licensed. I keep telling Bob Kellner to start those open shoots back up again.
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=712630510864672&set=a.521165663344492&__cft__[0]=AZVlAqYuS3L-GC7wcWkqDbAE_INfQgoZ4jfq2Wuobh2cVdNPp6x6KDQID93yGP wTK7LLZR1Mke0HxHG5wWTGNxUgUsbAg2tr-tj0wUljOx1ko8TArWPz7fsQbYimHFpaP0maOreZTASufodlSX4 pvUa2dlPnTR-BbTz8I8p_rq0JywmW0jNpwne8t8mn6ZLb0ww&__cft__[1]=AZVlAqYuS3L-GC7wcWkqDbAE_INfQgoZ4jfq2Wuobh2cVdNPp6x6KDQID93yGP wTK7LLZR1Mke0HxHG5wWTGNxUgUsbAg2tr-tj0wUljOx1ko8TArWPz7fsQbYimHFpaP0maOreZTASufodlSX4 pvUa2dlPnTR-BbTz8I8p_rq0JywmW0jNpwne8t8mn6ZLb0ww&__tn__=EH-R]-R

Mattp
04-17-2023, 09:03 AM
Hey man,, congrats!!! I know using it in NY especially where I live I very difficult if not impossible,, but look into some clubs,, there’s a good handful of them that do club events or open shoots within driving distance a few times a year

FBlaster
04-17-2023, 04:56 PM
Congrats, I just got mine as well. Now trying to deal with another wonderful state for hating fireworks, the wonderful state of Illinois. Hopefully will have everything in order next month to store and shoot in state.

Nickdiesel84
04-17-2023, 10:28 PM
Hello Dave. I sent all my paper work in for my type 54. thank for the help at the seminar back in October with ray hall. I’m also from New York and procrastinated with this for a while but after meeting you and helping me through it I gained confidence. I will also be attending the kellner’s event this Saturday April 22nd can’t wait to see you there.

displayfireworks1
04-19-2023, 09:18 AM
Hello Dave. I sent all my paper work in for my type 54. thank for the help at the seminar back in October with ray hall. I’m also from New York and procrastinated with this for a while but after meeting you and helping me through it I gained confidence. I will also be attending the kellner’s event this Saturday April 22nd can’t wait to see you there.

That is great you are sending it in. If all goes well you may be licensed before the July 4th holiday. Ray Hall from Wholesale Fireworks was instrumental in organizing the very first ATF License class for me years back. Kellner Fireworks usually had me teaching this class in the fall. We discussed me teaching the class this time of year to allow his customers to get licensed before the July 4th holiday. Now all I have left to do is convince Kellners Fireworks to bring back the Open Shoots.
To those who can't make the class and need help obtaining the ATF User of Display Fireworks license I sell the ATF DVD/application package here.
https://pyrotalk.com/shopping.php

Wholesale Fireworks
04-19-2023, 02:05 PM
That is great you are sending it in. If all goes well you may be licensed before the July 4th holiday. Ray Hall from Wholesale Fireworks was instrumental in organizing the very first ATF License class for me years back. Kellner Fireworks usually had me teaching this class in the fall. We discussed me teaching the class this time of year to allow his customers to get licensed before the July 4th holiday. Now all I have left to do is convince Kellners Fireworks to bring back the Open Shoots.
To those who can't make the class and need help obtaining the ATF User of Display Fireworks license I sell the ATF DVD/application package here.
https://pyrotalk.com/shopping.php

Dave I remember that first class. We had max capacity in that meeting room and we actually spilled out the door. That was a great beginning. That class became so popular we had to move to another meeting place with more room.
I think about those days everytime I have that chicken...LOL Thanks for doing this and we look forward to you doing it for a long time.

Arclight
04-19-2023, 05:18 PM
In case you're wondering how long it will take to get your license, I recently applied to add an importer's license and this is what we have:

3/7/23 Sent in paperwork
4/14/23 Call from ATF
4/17/23 On-site interview and magazine inspection

Blackdevil77
04-23-2023, 11:25 AM
Congratulations on receiving the ATF license. I am teaching an ATF class next weekend at Kellner Fireworks, someone on his Facebook commented he was from New York State and told everyone to forget about it if you lived in New York State. Of course I responded that was not true. Your post came along just in time, thanks. A state can require all of the pyro-technician shooter certifications they want, the ATF User of Display Fireworks license aka Type 54 is not contingent upon any of that.
Back when Kellner Fireworks was having “Open Shoots” (which I wish he would start doing again) I helped a fireworks enthusiast living in an apartment in New York City get licensed. I keep telling Bob Kellner to start those open shoots back up again.
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=712630510864672&set=a.521165663344492&__cft__[0]=AZVlAqYuS3L-GC7wcWkqDbAE_INfQgoZ4jfq2Wuobh2cVdNPp6x6KDQID93yGP wTK7LLZR1Mke0HxHG5wWTGNxUgUsbAg2tr-tj0wUljOx1ko8TArWPz7fsQbYimHFpaP0maOreZTASufodlSX4 pvUa2dlPnTR-BbTz8I8p_rq0JywmW0jNpwne8t8mn6ZLb0ww&__cft__[1]=AZVlAqYuS3L-GC7wcWkqDbAE_INfQgoZ4jfq2Wuobh2cVdNPp6x6KDQID93yGP wTK7LLZR1Mke0HxHG5wWTGNxUgUsbAg2tr-tj0wUljOx1ko8TArWPz7fsQbYimHFpaP0maOreZTASufodlSX4 pvUa2dlPnTR-BbTz8I8p_rq0JywmW0jNpwne8t8mn6ZLb0ww&__tn__=EH-R]-R

Exactly. When the ATF comes for the interview, all you have to tell them is you want the license to be able to purchase and shoot fireworks at open shoots and meets out of state. Have a contingency letter or two from nearby areas of where the open shoots would be, and you should be good to go. State doesn't matter when getting the federal license. The state only comes into play when you have intentions of using product in a state with it's own requirements.

And yes, bring back the open shoots! That's what will give me an opportunity to use and have some fun with my newly acquired license!

Hey man,, congrats!!! I know using it in NY especially where I live I very difficult if not impossible,, but look into some clubs,, there’s a good handful of them that do club events or open shoots within driving distance a few times a year

Yes, that's what I have to do. And I owe you a big thanks, you informing me that you got yours is what led me to try again and just go for it.

No need to procrastinate, it's simpler than you think! It was paperwork and fingerprints, some waiting, setting up an appointment to have a conversation with a local ATF agent, and then some more waiting. That's all there was to it.

displayfireworks1
04-24-2023, 07:44 AM
This last ATF license class I taught at Kellner Fireworks, a few of the local pyro clubs in PA, NY and Ohio were there for a meet and greet. I assume they were also recruiting. I am not 100 % certain but someone told me the PA club has an open shoot once a month. You can get licensed based on participating in one of these open shoot events. I also heard people talking and networking to add guys to some pro displays.

Engineer Cat
04-26-2023, 09:01 PM
This last ATF license class I taught at Kellner Fireworks, a few of the local pyro clubs in PA, NY and Ohio were there for a meet and greet. I assume they were also recruiting. I am not 100 % certain but someone told me the PA club has an open shoot once a month. You can get licensed based on participating in one of these open shoot events. I also heard people talking and networking to add guys to some pro displays.

Yep our PA club tries to do an open shoot monthly. In the winter it's more like every other month but still lots of open shoots. They are spread out all over the state so depends on how far you want to drive. We also do pro shoots. I got my 54 paperwork ready to submit. Having finger prints done May 3rd then sending it in.