PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Skyrocket questions

MontanaMike
04-05-2023, 11:25 PM
Skyrockets became legal in Montana last year so I want to add a few to our show. I would like to set up an array of maybe five rockets that would all go up at once at some key point.

Anybody got a cool idea for setting something like this up? I thought about using PVC pipes to fire them out of but I don't know how I'd get the fuse in there and have the pipe be long enough to support the rocket.

displayfireworks1
04-06-2023, 07:14 AM
If I am reading what you wrote correctly , you do not let the rocket drop into the pipe. You use a thin pipe and the rocket stick drops in and stops when the rocket motor hits the top of the pipe because the rocket motor is bigger than the diameter of the pipe.

BMoore
04-06-2023, 09:21 AM
I've come across a lot of people who believe that dropping a rocket into the pipe makes it go higher and less erratic. That's not the case. If anything, bouncing off the walls of the pipe is going to slow it down and ruin the trajectory. The photo Dave posted is a best practice for a rocket rack.

Also, I want to point out that PVC does work well for this application. However, If you start getting into shells, do NOT use PVC for racks.

displayfireworks1
04-06-2023, 10:26 AM
In the recent past there was another state that went legal on fireworks rockets, however along with the rocket purchase a launch tube also had to be purchased. You may even see these tubes included in some kits. If memory serves me correctly it is the state was Maine. I'm not a big fan of rockets unless there is plenty of clearance. Those rockets always seem to go where I don't want them to go. Rockets with stars are good to convert to salute rockets pretty easily , however I have had them just blow up on launch when trying to use them.

FinnAmerican
04-06-2023, 12:11 PM
I saw a video from Belgium and it showed the use of a metal single rocket adjustable launcher tube with tripod. These were sold by a fireworks shop.
Why don't they sell these in the U.S. besides the crappy plastic tubes you jam into the ground included with skyrocket packs.

FinnAmerican
04-06-2023, 12:44 PM
I found a image. I thought it was made of metal, but it looks like plastic. From Belgium.

displayfireworks1
04-06-2023, 02:26 PM
I'm seeing now the state may have been New Hampshire for the required launcher tube.
https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/firesafety/special-operations/fireworks/documents/rocket-launcher-verification-process.pdf

Birdman
04-06-2023, 04:09 PM
I have to agree with Dave. Rockets are to erratic Not something I would ever consider putting in a show....but to each their own.

MontanaMike
04-15-2023, 04:20 PM
Thanks Dave, I always assumed that the rocket needed support for the motor end while it was launching but I see that isn't the case.

I don't like that launcher that FinnAmerican posted, it's too straight. There's about a 50% chance the rocket might veer back toward the audience and drop a hot stick on 'em, unless you're a big distance away from the crowd.

Our site is a 450' x 200' grass field with no overhead wires, trees, etc. There is a sidewalk running across the top third of the field. We set up the fireworks at the far end and don't allow the audience beyond the sidewalk. Beyond the field there is a huge gravel parking lot which we keep all the cars out of. It's a pretty sweet spot.