PDA

View Full Version : Cobra 72M Slat cable problem

linboogy
03-26-2023, 11:37 PM
Hello form!
I just got a new to me 18r2 and 72m with slats system. It didnt come with cables. I have DB25 straight through cables that do not appear to be working. I know the cables are good but I dont know if the 72M uses are non pin to pin layout? When I go to bank A, i put an ematch on cue 1 and never seen the continuity light. I could not fire the ematch as well. I stepped through all the cues and the ematch popped on bank C cue 3 even though I had the cable pugged into bank A? Im trying to figure out if the system is bad or its just something im doing wrong?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Indypyrodude
03-27-2023, 02:51 AM
Hello form!
I just got a new to me 18r2 and 72m with slats system. It didnt come with cables. I have DB25 straight through cables that do not appear to be working. I know the cables are good but I dont know if the 72M uses are non pin to pin layout? When I go to bank A, i put an ematch on cue 1 and never seen the continuity light. I could not fire the ematch as well. I stepped through all the cues and the ematch popped on bank C cue 3 even though I had the cable pugged into bank A? Im trying to figure out if the system is bad or its just something im doing wrong?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Are you running series or parallel slats.

Series slats require at shut at the end of the line. Also, if you have multiple slats in series but want to shoot on one cue on one of the slats. The cue on the non shooting slat needs to be jumped.

Hope this helps.
Brian

linboogy
03-27-2023, 07:47 AM
Its a serried slat but the EOL plug is installed.

jdels
03-27-2023, 05:13 PM
I assume the 72M passes the self test on power up. I would start with a re sync of the module to the 18R2 and then be sure of the channel assignments. Make up a jumper wire to check continuity from cue to cue.

linboogy
03-28-2023, 07:52 AM
Thanks all
I found the issue. The DB25 on the side of the Sea Horse case was upside down. It was basically backwards and sideways with the internal ribbon cable. I think the person who sold it to me replaced the case and obviously never tested it.
Strangely, I often have to turn the 18R2 on two or three times intermittently to get it to turn on

cduesman
03-28-2023, 05:07 PM
Strangely, I often have to turn the 18R2 on two or three times intermittently to get it to turn on

Reach out to Cobra. Some of the older 18R2s had that issue. They have a little board that plugs inside it that fixes the problem. They will provide it for free or you can ship it to them and they will install it. It's a little green board that plugs into the back left corner. See the attached picture.

It sounds like the same issue/fix, but Cobra will verify/take care of you.

Chris

linboogy
03-30-2023, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the response. I already have this board. I reached out to Cobra and they asked me to send a video and I did. I will report back what they suggest as it may help someone else. I am getting ready to place an order from them and get the firmware update tool in addition to the audio box. I am hoping this works out some bugs