PDA

View Full Version : Cobra DMX

cody138
03-20-2023, 11:08 PM
So I have watched the video on cobra class room on the DMX capability's of the system and have been throwing around the idea of buying the DMX upgrade for one of my 36's. But after watching the video I am more confused than I started and to my surprise I could not find anything on youtube yet other than 1 short video in another language, so my question here has anyone doon much playing around with this feature? Really only want this option for one of my backyard shows that is a musical and wont be doing DMX events for more than a few minuets total during the whole show. I have looked at just using a DMX controller and programing chases and effect and having one of my assistance push the chase when its time but I feel with having a firing system that can do that for me it is counter productive. I might be just over thinking everything when watching the Cobra class room video or maybe it is way more work than what I want to get into with scripting so many other shows and events as it is. Any recommendations and or thoughts on the DMX capability's? (side note I will be using CSC)

Mattp
03-21-2023, 10:06 PM
HA!!! Exactly what he said!!! As soon as I start hearing about universes I get lost !! Which is like the first thing

cody138
03-21-2023, 10:38 PM
I watched it again and I think its just something that I would need to play around with, just seems like a TON of work to get a light to turn on and off lol.

rthruska
03-22-2023, 03:20 PM
I'm sure you can make it really complicated but I have kept it simple with using products that have macros with finale3D. really simplifies the entire process. The only way I have found out how to screw it up is to forget to select the universe on the DMX enabled module. You assign the universe number to the fixture in your scripting software and then just make sure that module is set to that specific universe. Definitely a hands on new experience to make mistakes with and learn over time....i'm still very new to it as well

esgrillo
03-23-2023, 01:24 PM
Cody been using DMX with cobra for several years. Actually before they integrated it so I am using a set-up that has the DMX running separately on my laptop and it is triggered by the Cobra system to start.

That being said I wrote a script for a friend for this upcoming 4th and he is using the built in DMX so I added those effects into the CSC script for him. It is pretty straight forward programming when used for on off devices like flames and can lights. I really dont see it working well for something like a rotating head since those take thousands of lines of code if you're not using some sort of built in macro like I am able to use in my separate software set up. All in all the DMX can add to the show. You can see it my videos if you want to take a look.

displayfireworks1
03-23-2023, 01:33 PM
I adjusted the forums settings, if needed you should be able to upload a script onto your post if you want someone to review it. Here is a list of current approved extensions. If more need added let me know. bmp csv doc docx fir gif jpe jpeg jpg ods pdf pdm png psd txt xls xlsm xlsx zip

Indypyrodude
03-23-2023, 01:50 PM
I agree with ED!! I just started my leap into Cobra DMX. I am starting with Spray the Flame (2 channel) machines from Ebay and I have them working flawlessly to the hits in the music using cobrashowcreator. I feel that anything beyond a simple on/off device will be too cumbersome and tedious + lots of line of code to have complex/Multiple DMX devices.

Here is a line of code I use for the Spay the Flame Machines

Universe Channel Cue/Value Pulse time
1 1 255 2s (DMX on)
1 2 255 2s (DMX Fire)

Both need to be set to fire at the same time and the machine will need to be addressed to Channel 1.

I hope this helps.

cody138
03-24-2023, 08:52 PM
Thanks everyone, usually as soon as something hits the market there are 2,000 videos on youtube but its lagging for this so was not sure are people just not using it or what. I think I am going to take the leap, if I don't like it oh well not like I have not wasted more money on dumber stuff.

Indypyrodude
03-27-2023, 02:58 AM
Here is a small video testing my DMX flame machines

cody138
04-01-2023, 10:26 PM
So little update I did order the upgrade kit and some lights and cable, while waiting for those items to arrive I watched the video a 3rd time made some notes and actually paid attention. So today I went onto CSC and made a few test scripts and I will say its actually not bad just time consuming is all. As soon as I get the equipment and do some testing to make sure what I did works as should I will post an update.

cody138
04-04-2023, 04:24 PM
Add to my post here, how is everyone powering there units in the field? Thought about making an extension cord to run from the generator out of 10 gauge wire then another cord probably 12 gauge off the end of that with weather tight receptacles every 25 feet or so out to about 100'. I know my distances are a little long here but the LED lights are pulling next to no amps/watts. Any additional information here would be good. TYIA.

cody138
04-06-2023, 01:35 AM
Update on the update. My equipment arrived today, (I spent the last few days creating some test scripts so when everything got here I was ready to go.) Installation was simple took maybe 10 minuets to update a 36m, another 10 minuets to put the lights together, then it was test time. Was a littler nervous if I did the scripts correctly. Everything set up lets go.... and only 3 out of the 4 lights worked, I looked close and I did not add a brightness setting at the beginning of the script for the 4th light, all other lights worked as scripted. Needless to say I was pretty excited. So next script I had just did a copy of my nephews going away party that I shoot last June and added some DMX events. Hit start and was perfect. So what I have learned from this experience is that do some research, watch the video till you have somewhat of a grasp and go for it. I spent the last 3 hours adding DMX events to a copy of my 4th show this year. Hope to have it finished tomorrow and give it a test run. All and all was way easier than I had expected it to be. Just remember to add all required date and its fine.

displayfireworks1
04-07-2023, 09:30 PM
If any pyrotalk members have scripts they do not mind sharing for others to learn from it would be great if you could upload them on a post as learning opportunity. When posting use the "Go Advanced" selection and it will bring up the "Manage Attachments" feature. Once uploaded it will allow members to download to their computer for review. Or, if someone is trying to troubleshoot a script , someone can review it for errors. If there is a particular format or file size someone is having trouble uploading please let me know I can try to adjust the forums software settings to the appropriate .ext

PyroFL
04-08-2023, 11:16 PM
Added note,

I had ordered 9 different lights last year for testing and most of the DMX coding was the same,but not all we're the same. Something to check when writing script.

Last year I had written something up about this and how to setup your CSC for lighting you can read it here:

https://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?9145-Cobra-DMX-Lights-easy-start-Rookies

Dave your welcome to pin or copy and paste it to make it easier for others. I can even write a scrip and email it over if you like to post it.

I could also do something for fire machines too with screen shots to make it easier for others.

esgrillo
04-11-2023, 09:05 AM
Add to my post here, how is everyone powering there units in the field? Thought about making an extension cord to run from the generator out of 10 gauge wire then another cord probably 12 gauge off the end of that with weather tight receptacles every 25 feet or so out to about 100'. I know my distances are a little long here but the LED lights are pulling next to no amps/watts. Any additional information here would be good. TYIA.

I just use regular extension cords. I have rotating heads, flames, and a laser. No problem. I do have access to electric so that simplifies things.