PDA

View Full Version : PGI shooter course

Engineer Cat
03-09-2023, 03:17 PM
Hey guys I got a question about the shooter training. There's a few coming up but there's one in May that's only about 1 3/4 hours away from me which will work best being it's starts so early in the morning and I plan on driving back home after.

However, I currently only have one pro shoot where I was a crew member and a shooter on and I understand I need to have 4 pro shoots and 1 shoot where I'm a lead shooter or a co lead to get certified after taking the class and passing the written portion.

My question is do I wait till I have those pro shoots under my belt or get the PGI training anyway and then try to get on more pro shoots so I can be certified?

jknepp1954
03-09-2023, 03:45 PM
There is a PGI course in Danville, Pa - April 1
Kellners April 22
May 19, 20 - Lykens, Pa (Cracker Jacks Club) but not sure which date
May 20 - Fire Art Corp - central PA
Most PGI courses are advertised on the PGI website - check it out for your area.
If you belong to a club - I think help setting up/igniting their pro shows qualifies you for a show.
If you can make connections with a pro company - see if they will let you apprentice in a few shows.
It doesn't matter which order to do your qualification shows as far as i know of.

Engineer Cat
03-09-2023, 04:41 PM
Kellners April 22
Most PGI courses are advertised on the PGI website - check it out for your area.
If you belong to a club - I think help setting up/igniting their pro shows qualifies you for a show.
If you can make connections with a pro company - see if they will let you apprentice in a few shows.
It doesn't matter which order to do your qualification shows as far as i know of.

Hi Joyce, I'm in your club :) (Gene from Jersey.) When I spoke to Brian at Lightstreet he said he was going to be posting information about the PGI course on April 1st at his place. But he hasn't yet. Also that's about a 3 hour ride for me. With these courses starting at 8am I would have to drive out there Friday night so I don't have to leave the house at 4:30am to drive the 3 hours or longer for the other locations.

I did help setup and shoot the Bridgeport, PA show with Brian and crew so I would think that would count. I guess I would need to get some documentation from Brian so I could provide that to PGI.

The only thing that sucks about this course that's close to me is it's the same weekend as the demo and open shoot you are having. I was planning on driving out to you Friday afternoon and making weekend of it.

Salutecake
03-09-2023, 06:33 PM
Hey Engineer Cat,

So, the PGI course is the same no matter where you go. I'm not sure but I think it was 2 days or a day and a half? First day classroom, second day demo's, hands on, and test. Perhaps it's all one day now.

Perhaps check with Celebration in Slatington PA They sometimes have a PGI class along with a demo -- It would be a lot closer for you.

I think you need to partipate in 3 - 5 shoots, and lead one show in a 3 year period then apply for the PGI ceretification, and yes, you should probably ask for a letter of participation from the company you shoot with.

Then I believe you still need to take the PGI course once every three years to keep up your certification, but I believe no tests involved as long as you take the course every 3 years.

I know I will be corrected on what I wrote above, it's just a general description of the process, and I'm sure there is more about it listed on the PGI page.

I hope that helps a little bit.

PG2159
03-09-2023, 10:02 PM
Celebration fireworks is hosting the PGI shooters course May 6th starting at 0800. I am planning on attending. I am probably about 10-15 miles away.

Engineer Cat
03-09-2023, 10:12 PM
Yep that's the one I'm looking to attend as well. It's just a much easier drive in the early morning.

jknepp1954
03-11-2023, 01:30 PM
Kellners April 22
OK - found out the Cracker Jacks PGI is May 19 - yes its a FRIDAY! 1 day only. But its combined with a 2 day club shoot...
Here's the link for info and attending....
https://www.crackerjacks.org/event-details-registration/may-19-20-with-pgi-doc-course
Schedule:

Friday - PGI DOC Course - 8:30am-5:00pm

1:00 PM - 9:00 PM - Regular Club Registration and Vending

3:00 PM - 3:30 PM - New Member Meet & Greet

4:45 PM - 4:55 PM - Pre-Shoot Safety Meeting

5:30 - Open Shooting Time

6:45 PM - 6:55 PM - Mid-Shoot Clean Up & Safety Briefing

9:00 - Open Shooting Ends

9:00 PM - 9:20 PM - Post-Shoot Clean Up

Birdman
03-12-2023, 10:52 AM
See below - Forgot to add quote

Birdman
03-12-2023, 10:53 AM
Celebration fireworks is hosting the PGI shooters course May 6th starting at 0800. I am planning on attending. I am probably about 10-15 miles away.

Engineer Cat
03-12-2023, 11:23 PM

Awesome Kev, I signed up last night for it.

Birdman
03-13-2023, 10:05 AM

Looks like I screwed up the second post too....ugh. I've been wanting to attend a course at Celebration but it keeps falling through. This next course I'll be on call for work so it will have to wait. One of these days I'll make it.

Mattp
03-15-2023, 11:19 PM
I don’t know if I ever plan to get pgi certified,,,but the class sure is a fun day, , lots of good knowledge,, good conversation with some like minded individuals,, and some hands on fun as well .,, I took it last year and am considering going this year as well if I can get out there

PyroJoeNEPA
03-16-2023, 06:08 PM

You guys are going to miss the open shoot May 5th & Product Demo on May 6th at Kneppys...........
Brian at Whitenights [PA Pyrotechnic Artists club] is holding a class at Danville PA April 1st. also.

Engineer Cat
03-17-2023, 01:40 AM
You guys are going to miss the open shoot May 5th & Product Demo on May 6th at Kneppys...........
Brian at Whitenights [PA Pyrotechnic Artists club] is holding a class at Danville PA April 1st. also.

I know Joe. A bit bummed about that. But at Lightstreet I talked to Brian to see if he was still going to hold the class and he said he was, and was going to post about it on the FB group page. I told him I wanted to register for it. But now it's only two weeks away and he still hasn't posted anything about it, nor has he emailed about it. There's nothing on our website about it.

I would of preferred to do the training with other club members but how many people even know about it at this point?

PyroJoeNEPA
03-17-2023, 11:59 AM
I know Joe. A bit bummed about that. But at Lightstreet I talked to Brian to see if he was still going to hold the class and he said he was, and was going to post about it on the FB group page. I told him I wanted to register for it. But now it's only two weeks away and he still hasn't posted anything about it, nor has he emailed about it. There's nothing on our website about it.

I would of preferred to do the training with other club members but how many people even know about it at this point?

April 1st is the PGI class at Whitenights. Also, open shoot for club members that night.
His computer crashed and he is behind on getting email & info out to club members.
Anyone can take the PGI class---