View Full Version : Any idea on how to use these ?

hatsgoods
03-02-2023, 10:01 PM
https://youtu.be/eVSMJfHDV1Y

BMoore
03-03-2023, 09:29 AM
Those things are absolute garbage. I was given a bag of them and after testing a couple they went right in the trash. The way you figured it out is exactly right. You remove the shroud and and use the little posts inside to hold the metal part of the match head and then close it up. Then you are supposed to be able to insert it directly into a cake eliminating the poking process. The failure rate on those things is horrendous and by the time you have it all put together you could have already had your product poked and matched.

Engineer Cat
03-03-2023, 03:52 PM
YEP exactly what Bmoore said.

Step 1. Open package
Step 2. Open garbage
Step 3. Drop in garbage and walk away. ;)

Zippster
03-03-2023, 05:03 PM
I had a big bag of these years ago when I first was starting poking cakes, I really didnt have any failure issues but as noted, far more time involved. I think they were designed as a safety factor to keep the match out of the powder.

jr99svt
03-04-2023, 10:16 AM
It never occured to me to try and use these on cakes, honestly thought the pointy plastic would never make it thru those layers of paper. I use these for display shells with no ematch port attached. install match, snap closed, push into lift charge and apply tape to keep in place. Ive probably used less than 100 in my life, no failures.

displayfireworks1
03-04-2023, 07:38 PM
Those devices never caught on. Before display shell leaders were able to be ordered with electric match ports these devices hit the market. This was designed to insert an electric match and break into the lift charge of a display shell. Tape it up and drop the shell. Most technicians just cut the the leader and inserted an electric match. This was back when Daveyfire was the predominant match already costing 75 cents each back in the early 2000's . These devices you are showing were not cheap I remember. It just added cost display companies didn't feel necessary. I remember Kellner Fireworks had a big jar of these at the checkout for sale like pretzels for sale. LOL