PDA

View Full Version : Pa Airport explosives

displayfireworks1
03-01-2023, 10:41 PM
I hope this Mark Muffley is not involved in the local Pennsylvania fireworks groups. From what I am reading he tried to get an improvised explosive device that sounds like flash powder a fireworks fuse onto an airplane near Allentown Pa
https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/23693643/muffley-complaint-warrant-affidavit.pdf
https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-stopped-airport-explosive-concealed-checked-luggage/story?id=97562616

Engineer Cat
03-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Yea I saw that on the news and and cursed loudly when they said "made with consumer firework". My wife said what's wrong? I said this god damn clown using fireworks to try and hurt people is very bad for our hobby.

displayfireworks1
03-02-2023, 09:29 PM
When I first read this story I remember thinking watch this be some dude trying to take some fireworks home. Exactly, click this article and scroll down to see what he had. It is dam display shell. Then go back and read #10 of the Criminal Complaint. This explosive expert describes it some waxy paper etc. like he never saw a display shell. And he took the explosive training. Still wrong what he did, it looks like he was trying to be a fireworks rock star on the Florida beach. Now they are going to trace who sold it to him back in Pennsylvania.
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/feds-pennsylvania-man-admits-packing-explosives-in-suitcase/3512790/

215less
03-02-2023, 09:58 PM
Yea I saw that on the news and and cursed loudly when they said "made with consumer firework". My wife said what's wrong? I said this god damn clown using fireworks to try and hurt people is very bad for our hobby.

I saw the same thing and thought uh oh. I saw that orange quickmatch and shook my head. I’m sure my local BATFE branch is going to reach out to us all here. I’m unfortunately in the area as this clown. I’m just wondering who gave this guy this kind of product. Let me beat the S*** out of the supplier. Ughhhhh.

And people wonder why it’s regulated. SMH

displayfireworks1
03-03-2023, 08:31 AM
If that shell was made in the recent past it will list the importer on a label. The ATF will just reverse trace it My guess is that Muffley dude will sing like a Canary where it purchased it.
I remember going to a PGI convention years back in Iowa . On the way back at the airport when we were all returning they had a big sign No Fireworks. When I arrived home I found a letter in my suitcase that my bag was searched. Apparently when they search your bag they leave one of those letters in your bag.

BMoore
03-03-2023, 09:38 AM
Yeah, when I heard in clear plastic my first thought was he made no effort to remove the baggie and labels. Should be easily traceable. Who knows what this clown was thinking. Trying to smuggle a shell is one thing, but why go through all the trouble to hide the shell but then fill the suitcase with all sorts of weird stuff that would most certainly get it searched? Did he want to get caught and get his moment of fame? Was he testing the system? If he really meant harm, then he would have had it in a carry on, not checked luggage. I'm sure his pipe with white residue also in the bag explains a lot.

Birdman
03-03-2023, 10:44 AM
It sure seems to me he was looking to get caught. Who the heck would ever think they could get away with something like that these days. He did admit to using meth so that could be one explanation. My tinfoil hat theory is that he may have been trying to create some sort of diversion for some other nefarious activity. But then again maybe he just that dumb.

displayfireworks1
03-03-2023, 11:19 AM
I'm sure his pipe with white residue also in the bag explains a lot.
Will be funny if the pipe with white residue ends up being a mortar to shoot the shell out of. I have seen white residue build up on black HDPE mortars. Eventually a picture of everything he had will end up posted by the Press. We will have to look for it.

Arclight
03-03-2023, 12:15 PM
Will be funny if the pipe with white residue ends up being a mortar to shoot the shell out of. I have seen white residue build up on black HDPE mortars. Eventually a picture of everything he had will end up posted by the Press. We will have to look for it.

I've never seen a meth star shell. I wonder what color it burns?

Engineer Cat
03-03-2023, 02:41 PM
It sure seems to me he was looking to get caught. Who the heck would ever think they could get away with something like that these days. He did admit to using meth so that could be one explanation. My tinfoil hat theory is that he may have been trying to create some sort of diversion for some other nefarious activity. But then again maybe he just that dumb.

Yea they found the display shell but missed the 4 lbs of meth in his carry on. LMAO

I was going to search for this clowns name in the different fireworks Facebook groups I'm in but decided I don't even want that in my search history. :)

Question, so does the ATF just come knocking at your door or do they call you? I just got my Employee Possessor clearance for the PA club I belong too so wondering how these guys operate when trying to track something like this down. Obviously this one wont be difficult for them with all the labels still on it. Someone's mag records don't match up. lol

PyroJoeNEPA
03-03-2023, 04:56 PM
The BATF has the authority to do a spot check on your premises any time they choose.
I'm amazed that people post items like this for sale on ebay and other sites. So, it may not have come from a vendor here in PA---but you never know!
Rule #1........if you do not shoot it, get it logged into storage!

Birdman
03-03-2023, 05:51 PM
Yea they found the display shell but missed the 4 lbs of meth in his carry on. LMAO

I always think of this possibility because one of my first jobs was working in a mobile phone providers call center. Every couple days for several weeks we were getting bomb threats. Most everyone would have to evacuate until the bomb squad cleared the building. We all assumed it was it was a disgruntled employee or something like that. It turned out that a couple of supervisors that were part of a security team were taking this opportunity to activate SIM cards using workstations employees left unlocked. They were suppose to be locking the workstations so no one questioned why they were on other employees computers. Rumor has it they were trading the SIM cards for drugs. So that's why whenever I hear something like this I always wonder what else could actually be going on.

FinnAmerican
03-03-2023, 06:10 PM
A Helpful Reminder to all

Arclight
03-06-2023, 12:06 PM

I was going to search for this clowns name in the different fireworks Facebook groups I'm in but decided I don't even want that in my search history. :)

Question, so does the ATF just come knocking at your door or do they call you? I just got my Employee Possessor clearance for the PA club I belong too so wondering how these guys operate when trying to track something like this down. Obviously this one wont be difficult for them with all the labels still on it. Someone's mag records don't match up. lol

If they like you, they call first and schedule an appointment at your convenience or just check in. If they think there is a serious problem, they just show up. Keep in mind that there are two types of ATF agents that we deal with. Some are non-low enforcement employees that do inspections, background checks, etc. They are often former law-enforcement or military, but do not carry a gun and don't have the power to arrest you. These are the investigators or inspectors that often do your interview and go over the license paperwork at your place.

But they also have the other type - badge and gun, attended the federal law enforcement academy in Georgia and similar authority to an FBI Special Agent. They might call you for some paperwork questions, but they also work on serious criminal investigations and go on raids with other agencies if there are guns/explosives being smuggled or similar.