PDA

View Full Version : Stocked back up on Dave's Magic Tape

displayfireworks1
02-26-2023, 02:37 PM
Stocked back up on Dave's Magic Tape while I was out shopping today.

Engineer Cat
02-26-2023, 11:17 PM
I learned it doesn't like the cold. Would barely stick to a cake this weekend. It was around 25 degrees at our open shoot. I did leave it in the car from our last shoot in Dec so my fault for not keeping it in the house. I won't be doing that again. If I would of realized, I would of thrown it on the dash on the two hour drive and kept the heat on it. Oh well, at least I know for next time.

Arclight
02-27-2023, 01:39 AM
FYI, it also sticks to dynamite just fine. :)

displayfireworks1
02-27-2023, 08:40 AM
Yes, the downside of the tape is cold weather. I remember working on New Years displays and it will not stick. I would keep a roll under my shirt by my waist to keep it warm. What is interesting is it appears to hold in cold weather on items that were already pre-taped at the plant before transport. In other words pre-taped items don't fall apart in cold weather. One of my videos has my trying to tape something in cold weather and it will not stick. I believe it was at one of the few Crackerjacks winter shoots years ago.
Glad to see our dynamite friend Arclight has put it to use also. LOL Although the one sold in California probably has the "May cause Cancer " warning. LOL

BMoore
02-27-2023, 10:00 AM
I've also found that it's not all created equal. I've bought several rolls from 3rd party vendors that was ok, but just didn't seem to be as tacky. Tape bought directly from from them seems to be better for some reason. Almost makes me wonder if there isn't counterfeit rolls out there.

displayfireworks1
02-27-2023, 02:40 PM
What is funny years ago Uhaul contacted me. They noticed a big spike in the sales of their tape and traced it back to me. They even made a joke about “Magic Tape” . They sent me a free case of tape. I tried to get them to advertise their trucks with my website, I never heard back from them. The more I thought about it , Uhaul may forbid hauling of explosives in their vehicles. Probably why you always see these Budget vehicles.
UHaul tape is made by the Intertape Polymer Group , you will see that identifying badging on the inner cardboard roll. Intertape makes many different types of tape. Who knows , they may make the Magic Tape especially for UHaul . It’s the only place I’ll buy it.

Arclight
02-27-2023, 08:07 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the "Costco effect" is at work here - U-haul stores probably move so much product that you never get an old-stale roll of that tape. Third party vendors might be liquidating old stock they got at an auction or something.