View Full Version : New To Group: Thank you!

Derek Ertel
02-13-2023, 03:59 PM
Hi All,

I am new to the group and recently purchased a Cobra Firing System. I live in Pennsylvania and have enjoyed fireworks since I was little, and have put on my own shows over the past 20+ years. I am new to using a firing system and have been learning as much as I can watching videos and etc, but I have always enjoyed a more hands on approach. I am lucky to have a large property to test on and will be heading there this weekend to run some tests. I want to test by doing a "dry fire", as in have no cakes attached to the igniters, to test and make sure I can set up a "fake show" as you will. I know the cost of igniters is not cheap, but I feel as though this would be the best way for me to get a hang of the system. Maybe attach some small safety firecrackers to the end as a warning that it went. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have always glued my shows to boards and manually fused, and am excited for this new journey.

I have recently, more so than in the past have, been requested to do shows for friends and some business establishments, so I am also looking to venture into my dream job. At this time, I only use 1.4G, but it seems to work for the people I am working with, and never have complaints. With the new laws in place in PA, I believe I will be able to do more of these shows, and would love to make a living out of it. It does seems as though insurance would be needed as well as other safety measures and anyones insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Shows I did in the past were on private property, and I had owners get their own insurance as well as sign waivers I had drafted up from a lawyer. I know all the laws and have never had an incident, but want to be safe and protect my interests as well.

Using the new 1.4G Pro lines was the next step to help my shows. Dave has been a great help here and I also need to give a shout out to Lou at Bada Boom Fireworks as well! They have made the process of understanding these new products fun and exciting, as well as helping me know the safety that goes into these products.

Thank you and Happy Days to Come!

Derek Ertel

displayfireworks1
02-13-2023, 05:30 PM
Great you joined the forums. When you find time to learn the profile settings, write in Pennsylvania so it displays in your visible profile. In addition to purchasing the Cobra I know you also purchased my Articles of Pyrotechnics education video. In the beginning of that video I talk about various fuse , electric match , Initiators etc. You are smart to experiment and try to learn as much as possible. It is interesting you have been shooting displays for 20 years and now ventured into a firing system. Did you also purchase Cobra Show Creator software? Find some of my advanced fusing technique videos if using Consumer Fireworks or you may soon be purchasing the AP products , a majority of those have electric firing ports and are easier to connect.
On a side note , when you were setting up shows prior to buying the Cobra, did you fuse products together or just run around and hand fire products?

Derek Ertel
02-15-2023, 02:56 AM
Thanks for having me! I wish I never waited 20 years to get the cobra firing system. I always fused my boards together and estimated timing between cakes, which gave me occasional lulls in my shows. Your AP video was great and definitely helped me a lot and I will be using a bunch of your techniques. I did not purchase the show creator but feel it will be something I will want in the future. I hope to test the cobra system this weekend. Thanks again!

displayfireworks1
02-15-2023, 08:34 AM
Glad you found my AP video helpful. Not sure if it is still the same , when you purchased a new Cobra you had to synchronize the remote to the modules. Did it come synchronized or are you going to perform that procedure? That synchronizing procedure is something we all should review from time to time. On the fusing displays, one of my sayings is "If your fuse is longer than your arm, you need a fireworks firing system". As far as the Show Creator , I think you will be fine just pressing buttons.

jdels
02-15-2023, 04:53 PM
Thanks for having me! I wish I never waited 20 years to get the cobra firing system. I always fused my boards together and estimated timing between cakes, which gave me occasional lulls in my shows. Your AP video was great and definitely helped me a lot and I will be using a bunch of your techniques. I did not purchase the show creator but feel it will be something I will want in the future. I hope to test the cobra system this weekend. Thanks again!

Derek,

I have a very simple excel sheet I developed to make excel scripting painless. It contains a past show as an example but all you need to do is delete it out and use the logic. You simply enter the duration of the product and the event time will auto populate. When you are happy with the script copy and past as text in Cobras template with the header rows, available for free on Cobras site. Don't forget the "END". I usually include extra time and dictate pace with the STEP button. I can't seem to figure out how to attach it but if you PM me an email address I will send it. Happy to put it up if anyone can tell me how to share an excel file.

PyroJoeNEPA
02-15-2023, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE] I can't seem to figure out how to attach it but if you PM me an email address I will send it. Happy to put it up if anyone can tell me how to share an excel file.[ /QUOTE]

If you use the "GO ADVANCED" button under the reply window it will expand the top toolbar several rows. On the far right side of the top row you will see a "paperclip [attach]" icon. Click on that and it will allow you to select a file from your computer to attach to your post.
Hope this helps!!

PyroJoeNEPA
02-15-2023, 07:08 PM
Derek Good luck with you dream. I don't want to be the one to "rain on your parade"--but there are a LOT of hoops that have to be jumped through to get a [successful] pyro business up & running and it takes very deep pockets and years to establish a business.
It sounds like you are doing well and enjoying the level where you currently are, and are making the logical step to upgrade by getting into electronic firing. I commend you for that.
Have you considered joining a club here in PA to network with other Pyros & get hands on experience with seasoned members?
One of the clubs I belong to is having a club event on Feb 25th. If you want some info on it, send me a private message and I can give you some details.
The Pro 1.4 product now becoming readily available to the consumer opens a lot of doors for the consumer "backyard guys". It sure is a lot easier than dissecting cakes to get a few tubes for single shots!!!

Engineer Cat
02-15-2023, 07:12 PM
Hey Derek where in PA are you? I'm guessing NorthEast side since you mentioned Lou at BadaBoom. We have a pyro club out in PA where the shoots are pretty close to that area. At least for you guys, LOL I have to travel a bit but it's worth it. PyroJoe got me in the club and It's been the best decision I have made. Been shooting stuff with them every other month and it's the perfect place to TEST the system and try things out. There's a new firmware update for my Firelinx that will allow me to do somethings I wasn't able to before. You can bet dollars to donuts I will be testing that out at our next open shoot in 2 weeks.

jdels
02-16-2023, 01:01 AM
[QUOTE] I can't seem to figure out how to attach it but if you PM me an email address I will send it. Happy to put it up if anyone can tell me how to share an excel file.[ /QUOTE]

If you use the "GO ADVANCED" button under the reply window it will expand the top toolbar several rows. On the far right side of the top row you will see a "paperclip [attach]" icon. Click on that and it will allow you to select a file from your computer to attach to your post.
Hope this helps!!

Tried that. I get this.

The following errors occurred:

Excel Script.xlsx: Invalid File

displayfireworks1
02-16-2023, 08:04 AM
I see someone mentioned you can attach a file to your post under Go Advanced. Problem is if the file is too large it may reject it. I believe the Excel format should be accepted. Can someone try to upload even a blank Excel document to see if it works. If not I may need to look into the software settings. I know pdf. doc etc. uploads

displayfireworks1
02-16-2023, 10:28 AM
I added the following attachment extensions to the attachment manager. See if it will accept the attachment now. Added .xlsx .xlsm and .xls

jdels
02-16-2023, 04:42 PM
I added the following attachment extensions to the attachment manager. See if it will accept the attachment now. Added .xlsx .xlsm and .xls

Thanks Dave!

Derek Ertel
02-20-2023, 01:53 AM
Thank you all for responding I appreciate it! Jdels I will definitely take at look at your excel script! I need to start somewhere and this seems like it will help a lot. PyroJoe and Engineer Cat, I would 100% be interested in joining a shoot club to learn more. My email is Derek.ertel@gmail.com if you can send me some information there.

PyroJoe, you mention a lot of hoops to jump through and I never mind that. The only thing I cannot find much info on is 1.4g specific shows. I do not plan to use any professional products other than 1.4g pro. I believe I would have no problem with all the ATF licensing and everything needed with the state. I am in the process of looking for insurance, and figured to call a lawyer and do all the legal things necessary. My main customer would be small backyard shows and wedding events. With house bill 542, do I need all the licenses and etc?

Engineer Cat
02-21-2023, 01:16 AM
I'm pretty sure if you are shooting shows for money in PA, even if only 1.4g you will need to checkoff a number of items to be doing it legally if money exchanges hand.

If say your church wants to put on a fireworks show at their winter carnival and you have them purchase the fireworks and you setup the show and shoot it voluntarily on their property that meets the conditions in Bill 542, then I'm pretty sure your good. But if money exchanges hands, then you need permits, insurance and other things because now it's a business and not a hobby.

I'm not the best person to explain this as I don't live in PA, but that's where I go to shoot fireworks legally with the club because I can't do it in my state as a hobby.

cody138
03-09-2023, 11:28 PM
Hello Derek, also a fellow PA boomer, I have been using cobra a few years and am a member of a local club, I shoot a few shows a year with combination of 1.3-1.4, if I can help you in anyway feel free to PM me.

infante0216
06-08-2023, 01:38 PM
Welcome!! so awesome you joined