PDA

View Full Version : New Year, New Upgrades, New Product!

Firelinx
02-09-2023, 11:03 AM
:cool: The software upgrades you’ve been asking for are finally here AND Firelinx would like to introduce the Double-Shot! :cool:

6496 6497 6495 6498

New Product Release!

Firelinx Double-Shot
The New 2-Cue Firing Module with Firelinx Studio (https://www.firelinx.com/product/firelinx-studio/)! A fully functional laptop/desktop App that allows the user to configure the Double-Shot! Also compatible with ematches and talon igniters!

SHOP (https://www.firelinx.com/shop/)

What makes the new Double-Shot Firelinx Firing Module awesome?

Two firing channels compatible with both electric matches and talon igniters
Removable e-match screw terminal connector for fast setup of props and gear
Professional grade safety and reliability of the Firelinx System
USB-C port for fast and easy pre-show configuration
New Firelinx Studio laptop/desktop app is used to configure the Double Shot

Set the radio channel
Join with your Firelinx Command Module
Select the match/igniter type

Powered by a single 9-Volt battery
Optional short antenna makes hiding inside props easier

Software Upgrades
The version 1.4 update for Firelinx has been released! Several small and a few large changes occurred in this update, so here’s a short overview and a longer in-depth review for the larger changes that went into this release.

Command Module

Fixed some graphical inconsistencies in the Manual firing page when moving between modules using the ‘Up’ and ‘Down’ buttons.
FEATURE UPDATE: Powering down the unit now requires the power button to be held for 3 seconds. A screen notification will inform the user when it is safe to let go. This is to address issues where the modules were too easy to turn off in certain circumstances.
Fixed an issue on the Module status page, where entering a module number that does not exist could cause the system to become unstable.
Fixed an issue when attempting to perform multiple different firmware updates at once. The CM can now perform several updates after one another without error. Before, attempting to update an FM, then updating an OPN would require a power-cycle to the CM. This is no longer required.
Fixed a potential problem in the Manual Firing page where a key sequence could cause the CM to stop being responsive.
FEATURE ADDED: The 1.4 version of the CM and the FM now support Group Firing. This allows the user to assign any module(s) to a group (up to 63 unique groups possible) to fire their channels simultaneously without needing to write a script for it. Any number of modules can be assigned to the same group. A new firing page, Group Firing, has been added to the CM to support this. Please review the user’s manual for more information on how to use Group Firing.
Fixed an issue in the Disables/Caliber screen where not having any disables could cause the Disables/Caliber pages to be displayed inadvertently.
Added support for the FM2 “Double-Shot” firing module.

Firing Module

FEATURE UPDATE: Continuity coloration on the FM has changed. If NO show is loaded, continuity remains the same, blue denotes no matches found, purple denotes matches connected. When a show IS loaded, blue denotes a match in the choreography is missing, purple denotes all matches detected.
Changed the Continuity ‘Blue’ to more of a ‘Cyan’ for easier viewing at distance at night.
The membrane on the FM is now disabled during a Firmware update. This should prevent users from accidentally interrupting the process.
OPN firmware updates now return the user to the main screen on the FM after it has completed, rather than staying at 100% and requiring a manual restart.
FEATURE UPDATE: Powering down the unit now requires the power button to be held for 3 seconds. A screen notification will inform the user when it is safe to let go. This is to address issues where the modules were too easy to turn off in certain circumstances.
FEATURE ADDED: See Command Module 1.4 Update notes for the new Group Firing feature.
Fixed a potential bug that could have prevent SMPTE and INTERNAL scripts from firing together under the right circumstances.
Increased accuracy of the synchronization system during noisy traffic conditions.
FEATURE ADD: On the FM, a new menu option is available, Match Type. This allows the user to switch an FM from the normal firing system used for e-matches (FAST matches) to a different firing system used for long-term matches (LONG matches) akin to Talon® style matches used for Visco fuse. This setting is remembered between power-on/off cycles.

DOWNLOAD UPDATES (https://www.firelinx.com/downloads/software-updates/)

Feature Details

Both the Command Module (CM) and Firing Module (FM), once updated to 1.4, will require the user to hold down the power button to turn them off, rather than just tapping the button in previous versions. We had a few concerns and comments from customers stating it was too easy to inadvertently turn them off when they were handling them in the field. When you wish to turn off the modules, simply press-and-hold the power button. After 3-5 seconds the screen will display, “Power Down”, at which point you can let go of the button. Powering up has not changed.
On the FM, continuity colors have gotten a slight tweak. First, the traditional ‘blue’ for continuity mode being enabled has been changed to Cyan instead. This was an effort to help some customers when they were running continuity modes after nightfall. The blue, while a Firelinx staple, was harder to see at distance at night. The cyan is much easier to see at distance after nightfall. Additionally, a small change in how the colors are represented has occurred. In the 3rd generation of Firelinx, blue denoted continuity mode was enabled, and purple denoted a match was detected on that module. This is still the same as it ever was when a choreographed show is not loaded. If, however, a choreographed show is loaded, this color change didn’t ‘tell’ anyone anything important. To address that, when a choreography is loaded into the modules, Blue denotes that a match in the choreography is missing on that module. Purple will now reflect that all shots choreographed have been detected – this will allow a quick at-a-glance view of the field to see which modules need to be looked at when a choreography is present. If you normally do not shoot choreographies, nothing will have changed.
Additionally on the FM, we had some customer requests to support Talon style ignitors that require a longer firing pulse than a standard e-match would. This change has been implemented into the FMs in this update. On the FM, pressing MENU and then the down-arrow a few times will scroll users to a new menu screen, with ‘MATCH TYPE’ as one of the entries. Pressing ‘ENTER’ will select that page and will show a user either a Match Type of ‘FAST’ (or by pressing the NEXT button) and ‘LONG’. Pressing ‘ENTER’ again will select the type shown on the screen. The FM will remember the setting after you power it down. The LONG setting is perfect for longer visco type fuses that require a good burn time to get them started. The setting affects all matches attached to that FM. While firing for longer will use more battery life, its not a considerable amount unless you constantly run your FMs on ‘skull-and-crossbones’ level of battery. There is a bit more wear-and-tear, so if you don’t plan on using Talons, there’s no need to change this setting.
Finally, the major addition to the Firelinx system is, by popular request, ‘Group Firing’. This firing mode allows FMs to be grouped into distinct firing groups (up to 63 groups at a time). When you fire a channel within a group, ALL the modules assigned to that group will fire the channel. Up till now, to perform that operation in the 3rd Generation of Firelinx required writing a choreography to do roughly the same thing. In this update, we’ll do it all for you now. On the FMs, once you press the MENU button and scroll down, you’ll find a menu entry for ‘FIRE GROUP’. Pressing ENTER will bring you into the selection. By default, the modules are assigned to group ‘OFF’. By using the UP and DOWN buttons, the user can select which group this FM will be assigned to. If you set it to 1 and press ENTER, and then HOME, you will see the module name on the screen now shows, for instance, 001-1 instead of just 001. This lets you know immediately which firing group this module has been assigned to. You can assign as MANY modules as you want to a single group, or multiple groups (up to 63). On the CM, when you go into SHOW (by arming or pressing the SHOW button) you will be presented with the traditional manual firing screen. Pressing NEXT will scroll you through the modes, from FIRE (Manual) -> SMPTE -> INTRNL (Internal) -> and finally GRP (Group firing). You could also press BACK on the manual firing screen and get there faster. The CM will display, for instance, 1-01 – this is firing group 1, channel 01. Pressing any of the channel buttons on the CM will jump to the firing channel as normal (pressing channel 12 will display 1-12 and will fire all group 1 modules, channel 12, at the same time when the FIRE button is pressed). To change groups, use the Up or Down scrolls, or use the 10-key pad on the CM to quickly type in the group number and press ENTER. Keep in mind, that this firing mode works WITH all the other firing modes at the same time, meaning you can fire a SMPTE show, an Internal show, a firing group, AND a manual channel ALL at the same time – just scroll to the appropriate screen and hit the button!

Make sure to download the updated user manual!

USER MANUALS (https://www.firelinx.com/downloads/user-manual/)

Engineer Cat
02-10-2023, 03:20 AM
As pretty much the only Firelinx owner that posts frequently on this forum I really feel the need to bring up some points that I feel are relevant.

I'm glad to see the firmware updates to fix small bugs and add the group firing option as I've been using a script to allow me to fire the same pin on multiple modules instead of being able to do it in manual fire mode. I didn't think the blue was difficult to see in the dark in the distance but I'm curious to see how much better cyan looks.

However, as someone who has communicated fairly frequently with the company since owning the system, I'm disappointed that I didn't receive an email about these updates. Luckily I review what's going on in the PyroTalk forum daily or I would not know about these new features and fixes, or that there was a new firmware update. What I'm about to say would of been a reply email instead of being posted on the forum.

As far as the double shot, I don't get it. You guys killed the development of OPN32 which would of allowed 32 additional cues to be used on a 24 cue FM (which was one of the key reasons, but not the only reason, I went with Firelinx). (In all fairness you guys gave me a discount on a second FM because of this, which I appreciated). The communications with you guys said "it wouldn't be cost effective to produce". The cost per cue would of been cheaper then Cobra if OPN32 was released. (Not counting slats and such). Instead you guys now release a 2 cue "double shot" for $300? I'll spend the 10 mins to run 250 feet of scab to attach to an FM-24 if I need a position far away from it. Why would anyone want to purchase a 2 cue FM for that price when an FM-24 costs $475? This doesn't make any sense to me at all. You also spent the time and money to create "Firelinx Studio" which does nothing but program the $300, 2 cue module instead of creating a software that can be used to script and run shows like Cobra's show creator or the Cobra Control Panel app. These are the type of things we are waiting for since OPN32 was killed.

I am absolutely baffled and disappointed by this. I can't imaging anyone who owns any pro firing system asking for a 2 cue FM. Those of us, backyard or pro pyro's want BULK cue's for cheap as possible.

Question to the PyroTalk members. Are any pyro's here buying the 6M from Cobra for $400 when an 18M is $50 cheaper? Who is deciding they need just 2 or 6 more cues when they can have 24 or 18 for a cheaper per cue cost?

Have you guys spent any time looking at posts here on the forum? There are "backyard" pyros using 500+ cues in their shows. I just can't fathom how R&D killed OPN32, to produce a 2 cue FM instead.

MCave
02-10-2023, 10:11 AM
I very seldom post here but do keep up with the latest post.

I'm also a Firelinx owner/user and was also baffled by this addition of a 2 cue module. Like Engineer Cat, I was also looking forward to the OPN32 module for expansion. I've pretty much relegated the Firelinx to my front positions and now use FireTek for everything else. I run three Firelinx modules for the fronts and seven FireTek modules for the mains. I'll eventually phase out the Firelinx all together which is sad to say since Firelinx had such great potential.

Maybe some explanation from Firelinx would be helpful here since they are a sponsor of this site.

Firelinx
02-10-2023, 11:08 AM
Hi, Gene!

I'm sorry you feel you've been excluded, but an email was sent out to all customers earlier this week, you included. With the title "New Firelinx Product in the House!", I'm sorry if you missed it, but please know it was sent to all of our customers. We actually just tried sending you proof of same but our email keeps bouncing. I've forward it from our sister company's email and it went through. Seems that you may have our emails blocked.

Also, please note that we created the Double-Shot in response to other customers, particularly in large theater productions, where the Double-Shot has been very well-received.

Thank you,
Firelinx

Birdman
02-10-2023, 11:59 AM
Question to the PyroTalk members. Are any pyro's here buying the 6M from Cobra for $400 when an 18M is $50 cheaper? Who is deciding they need just 2 or 6 more cues when they can have 24 or 18 for a cheaper per cue cost?

Cobra's 6M was also designed for theater and special effects uses where they only need a few cues in a small easy to conceal module. I may have considered picking up a 6M or two if the per cue cost was comparable to the 18M.

Engineer Cat
02-10-2023, 05:57 PM
After further investigation with Andrea trying to understand why emails were being blocked to me, I found that their SPF record has an incorrect syntax causing gmail to block the domain for spam. Not that my personal email was blocking the message or putting the messages in spam. This might have been a change they recently made as up until Sept 2022 I was communicating with them regularly.

I've provided Andrea the information and the correction to make in the SPF record so they do not have this problem in the future.

The SPF record was entered as
(v=spf1 ipv4:74.208.4.197 mx ~all) However the correct syntax is
(mx v=spf1 ipv4:74.208.4.197 ~all) (MX is in the wrong location)

<------ IT guy :cool:

Engineer Cat
02-10-2023, 06:00 PM
Cobra's 6M was also designed for theater and special effects uses where they only need a few cues in a small easy to conceal module. I may have considered picking up a 6M or two if the per cue cost was comparable to the 18M.

Didn't realize that Kev. Thanks for the info.

bani
02-12-2023, 10:43 AM
As a firelinx owner I'm also disappointed. Killing OPN32 annoyed me, and now this? Completely bonkers.

Your message is received loud and clear - we are not your market, only commercial operators are.

The platform had promise and potential which is why I bought it. Turned out to be empty promises that were discarded. A shame.

I can't see any reason why anyone here would buy firelinx over the competition anymore.

I'm now only retaining my firelinx units as a backup system for my other firing systems. I won't be buying any more firelinx.

Firelinx
02-15-2023, 12:08 PM
To the Firelinx Community:

Having launched generation 3 in August 2020, we originally planned to develop a large variety of OPN accessories. That was still in development until last year's world wide parts shortage (https://spectrum.ieee.org/global-chip-shortage-charts); this was the tipping point for the OPN development project. Even though we had made some prototype designs, when we attempted to build those designs, the parts suppliers could not supply many key electronic components. We then researched for alternative parts, but those drove the cost of the OPN32 to be extremely costly to produce. We appreciate that many Firelinx users would benefit from a system such as the OPN32, however regretfully it is not available as we envisioned.

At the same time we were hearing from users about developing new features they wanted to see in Firelinx, such as Group Firing and Match Types. To date the OPN feature has only been utilized for our Ethernet accessory. https://www.firelinx.com/product/opn-ethernet/ This module works quite well and has even been deployed in large scale, permanent installations.

We understand that many excellent Firelinx users may feel disappointed with the cancellation of a line of accessories. This was a decision we did not make hastily.

cjurczak
02-15-2023, 08:19 PM
To the Firelinx Community:

Having launched generation 3 in August 2020, we originally planned to develop a large variety of OPN accessories. That was still in development until last year's world wide parts shortage (https://spectrum.ieee.org/global-chip-shortage-charts); this was the tipping point for the OPN development project. Even though we had made some prototype designs, when we attempted to build those designs, the parts suppliers could not supply many key electronic components. We then researched for alternative parts, but those drove the cost of the OPN32 to be extremely costly to produce. We appreciate that many Firelinx users would benefit from a system such as the OPN32, however regretfully it is not available as we envisioned.

At the same time we were hearing from users about developing new features they wanted to see in Firelinx, such as Group Firing and Match Types. To date the OPN feature has only been utilized for our Ethernet accessory. https://www.firelinx.com/product/opn-ethernet/ This module works quite well and has even been deployed in large scale, permanent installations.

We understand that many excellent Firelinx users may feel disappointed with the cancellation of a line of accessories. This was a decision we did not make hastily.

I took an a Firelinx owner and disappointed by the discontinuation of OPN32. Is it possible this would return in the future or possibly the design be released for the community to pursue?

My day job has revolved around the silicon parts shortage and can vouch that this issue is very real and very challenging for OEMs. These have range from inconvenient to critical infrastructure problems. In my day job some issues could be overcome by throwing money at the problem (but not all). A product like Firelinx while having a healthy margin on a system the margin on something like OPN32 can't necessarily still be viable or competitive in the market if conditions are poor enough.

As a part time designer and PCB designer I love the idea of the OPN and the expandability it offered. I would love to be able to dedicate the time to something like that, but I don't expect there to be enough of a market for it given the user base.

To defend the 2 cues module this has been an underserved market by traditional firing systems for a long time. But all major firing systems today have a stage/FX targeted module. Yes these modules come at a much higher price/cue. But you outdoor folks are not the intended market and shouldn't be offended. I do think Firelinx probably should've framed their release a little better on a backyard/outdoor pyro forum.

Firelinx
02-16-2023, 09:53 AM
To answer your question, we don’t see it in the foreseeable future. We plan to keep developing features for our current Command and Firing Module.

We appreciate your support.