PDA

View Full Version : are 8in racks legal?

rthruska
01-15-2023, 02:19 PM
I'm having trouble finding the regulations on the number of tubes allowed in racks. I thought I remember reading that 8in shells can be fired from racks if being fired electronically and if so does anyone know the max number of 8in tubes per rack? I do private shows a couple times a year and trying to avoid digging holes, t posting etc. appreciate the help

displayfireworks1
01-15-2023, 05:01 PM
Write in your profile what state you are from to I don't have to search your IP and write it in. Some states have rules about racks , some don't. Some of that may or may not apply to you if you are doing a not in commerce private display. The 8 inch racks I last saw were two 8 inch mortars in one rack. One of my more painful videos Ground Hog Wedding Fireworks from 12 years ago. Here you see four 8 inch mortars.
At 4:20 in the video. I had to age restrict it for some reason, so you need to watch on YouTube
https://youtu.be/lfu-PAGgSbQ?t=264

rthruska
01-15-2023, 09:33 PM
appreciate the info. I'm using hdpe which makes me a little more comfortable doing it. Will probably go with 4 to a rack unless Texas regulates it.

shake the cove
01-16-2023, 12:40 PM
According to NFPA book for 1123 code for display fireworks 2022 the most current one published i think... on pg 12 ^4.6.2.1 lists the maximum mortars in a chain-fused rack. 8" shells cannot be chain-fused...do they even make any like that? Pg 20 ^8.2.9.2.2 says you can hand light if tube buried 3/4 length. Usually cannot hand light shells above 6" size I cannot find otherwise how many mortar tubes are allowed in a 6", 8" shell. I think the number of mortars in a rack are limited to weight, you might put 10 8" shells in a rack or 60 3" shells but nobody could lift or store that rack. As Dave states your mileage may vary and each state maybe different but most follow NFPA. I have personally seen 8" mortars in a two rack wood and also three on a sand barrel filled one, the rest usually in wood based sand filled troughs. When I am on a shoot site I always have the AHJ do a walk around with me after set-up before covering racks for rain that way he/she has seen set up and is ok even if they do not verbally say so with number racks, placement , fallout,angles etc the assumption that everything is kosher with NFPA regs. It spreads the liability around to include them for site and shoot safety.

rthruska
01-18-2023, 12:03 AM
According to NFPA book for 1123 code for display fireworks 2022 the most current one published i think... on pg 12 ^4.6.2.1 lists the maximum mortars in a chain-fused rack. 8" shells cannot be chain-fused...do they even make any like that? Pg 20 ^8.2.9.2.2 says you can hand light if tube buried 3/4 length. Usually cannot hand light shells above 6" size I cannot find otherwise how many mortar tubes are allowed in a 6", 8" shell. I think the number of mortars in a rack are limited to weight, you might put 10 8" shells in a rack or 60 3" shells but nobody could lift or store that rack. As Dave states your mileage may vary and each state maybe different but most follow NFPA. I have personally seen 8" mortars in a two rack wood and also three on a sand barrel filled one, the rest usually in wood based sand filled troughs. When I am on a shoot site I always have the AHJ do a walk around with me after set-up before covering racks for rain that way he/she has seen set up and is ok even if they do not verbally say so with number racks, placement , fallout,angles etc the assumption that everything is kosher with NFPA regs. It spreads the liability around to include them for site and shoot safety.

that's what I was looking for. thanks. weight isn't an issue because I use a tractor with a fork lift to move all racks, don't want to screw up my back. In my area no one comes out to inspect, permit just gets signed. Looks like I should be ok with 2 or 4 to a rack then.

BMoore
01-18-2023, 10:36 AM
How many 8" shells are you using? At close to $200/shell it takes a budget shoot site that most of us only dream of! I've only ever seen mortars of that size burried either in the ground or in a sand trough or barrel. If it's only a couple of shells a multi-shot rack might not make much sense. The purpose of a rack is to quickly erect numerous of the same size mortars. For a handful of big shells the balance between set up time and safety leans in favor of not racking them. You need a minimum of a 560' radius to fire a 8", but if one of those shells happens to fire vertically, you have a cannon ball traveling at least 800 feet along the ground with a 360' break at the end.

rthruska
01-18-2023, 08:16 PM
How many 8" shells are you using? At close to $200/shell it takes a budget shoot site that most of us only dream of! I've only ever seen mortars of that size burried either in the ground or in a sand trough or barrel. If it's only a couple of shells a multi-shot rack might not make much sense. The purpose of a rack is to quickly erect numerous of the same size mortars. For a handful of big shells the balance between set up time and safety leans in favor of not racking them. You need a minimum of a 560' radius to fire a 8", but if one of those shells happens to fire vertically, you have a cannon ball traveling at least 800 feet along the ground with a 360' break at the end.

I shoot my shows out of my own pocket for family and friends just because I enjoy it and it brings people together. right now my shows are about 300 shells of 3/4/5/6in and I'm expanding my 8in shells to about 8-12. Occasionally I shoot 10s and a single 12 but the distance required for those along with the pain of digging holes just isn't worth it to me. Also with the new regulations I can't find any high quality 10s or 12s, I tried Adan and they were ok but might not buy them again. I also shoot a 100 or so comets/mines and bunch of 1.3 and 1.4pro cakes. last show was a 27min pyromusical. For me racks are so much easier, my storage is on the same land that I shoot. Basically loading them up on the fork lift and dropping them off, securing them together is pretty quick when compared to digging holes, T posts and tie down straps. I will always bury my 4/5in salutes. The risk of firing these shells of course is there, that's why these laws exist. That's also why I like hdpe and to fire shells electronically and individually. I only use timed chains of 3 and 4 in shells and my 4 in shells are more than 100 ft per inch shell from the audience.

Bigbsfireworks419
01-18-2023, 08:17 PM
It's been awhile since I read 11-23 & 11-26 but if I'm not mistaken u can put them in a rack but only 3 guns to a rack