PDA

View Full Version : Question about shooting 1.3 in Michigan

Mathew
01-04-2023, 07:18 PM
Hey everyone, going through the application to get my 1.3 at the moment and wondering if Michigan requires additional permits, I will only be shooting on 4th of July/Memorial Day on private property which insurance isn't required but wasn't sure about additional permits. Also wondering for 1.1g shells such as 10"+ shells, can 1.3 license holders still obtain those?
Thanks

Stang
01-05-2023, 12:06 AM
I would check the local ordinances first wherever you will be shooting. For example even on the holidays allowed it specifies only consumer fireworks are allowed without a permit. It also says "Fireworks" which includes display may be discharged in compliance with the permit issued. In this case, I would assume anything that involves display fireworks would need a township, city etc issued permit.

Prohibited ignition, discharge , and use of consumer fireworks. No person shall ignite , discharge , and use fireworks within the township at any time , except that:
(1) Fireworks may be discharged in strict compliance with any permit issued by the township in accordance with the Act.
(2) Consumer fireworks may be discharged without a permit on the following days after 11 a.m.: December 31 until 1 a.m. on January 1; Memorial Day and the Saturday and Sunday immediately preceding Memorial Day until 11 :45 p.m. on each of these days; June 29 to July 4 until 11 :45 p .m. on each of these days; July 5, if that date is on a Friday or Saturday, until 11 :45 p.m.; Labor Day and the Saturday and Sunday immediately preceding Labor Day until 11 :45 p .m. on each of these days; in accordance with the Michigan Fireworks Safety Act, Public Act 256of2011, as amended .

There are a few cities/towns that didn't adopt ordinances so they are more free compared to the rest, meaning for example, you can use consumer fireworks any day of the year.

I dont have a type 54 or the land to shoot 10" shells so I am of no use there, sorry.

Salutecake
01-06-2023, 08:48 AM
Hi Mathew,

I know there are a few members in Michigan here so I would wait for a response from them. 1.3 is a Federal license and one of he biggest things I can tell in obatining your license is if you have contingency storage for your product and perhaps how far away the storage will be. My recomendation is to purchase Daves cousrse on the license and if you already did purchase it, and need help give a shout out to him.
So then it comes down to what your state and local rules are. Here in Pa there are basically 2 rules, if you are doing it for a living (commercial rules of commerce) or if you are doing it as a hobby. I believe in a state like New York, there is not really an option for a hobbist and to shoot you have to go through a state license process, involving tests and working shows and that type of thing. I think the state of Deleware you need a Ste shooters license and all that is is a test.
My personal example, in PA, is that I do it as a hobby and as a hobby my borough does not require me to do anything. If the borough was going to hire a company to shoot a display, they would require the approval of the local fire department and insurance and such, but why go through that expense when my son and I put on a great show each year, lol.
So you'll have to check your state and local rules and remember, with 1.3 for the most part you need 70 feet of clearence per 1 inch of shell -so technically your 10 inch shell, the mortar will need to be buried and you'll need 700 feet of clear space.

Arclight
01-07-2023, 09:56 PM
It's interesting that depending on your state/county, you either want to be seen as an "individual hobbyist" or a "legit business" to avoid being hassled.