PDA

View Full Version : 1,4 Pro with salute?

joewad
12-25-2022, 07:18 PM
I just received a listing of expected 1.4 Pro items a local vendor just emailed me that's anticipated for 2023. Manufacturer is Wizard, a company I have been extremely satisfied with regarding 1.3 items. Complete listing is for 1.4 Pro line items ordered for 2023. I have selected those that in my opinion appear to contain salutes. I believe all are listed as 1 inch. Has there been a change in what items can now be 1.4Pro? As you can see, each video is emblazened with a 1.4 sticker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r9G5_SOxcI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0FXQGEB1X4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yde6j0smLPU

jamisonlm3
12-25-2022, 09:37 PM
APA released a powerpoint (https://www.americanpyro.com/assets/docs/2018WEC/2018-APA87-1A-Presentation(Complete)rvsd.pdf) years ago about the revision. The two big things for me are the salutes in addition to the doubling of cake size possible now without the need for tube spacing. Winda's 1.4 pro stuff has been on my radar for over a year now. The videos look really good, but we're going to have to see how they actually pan out. IMHO, it might be similar to a couple of other of their cakes. They looked great in video, but performance may very.

topshelfpyro
12-25-2022, 11:44 PM
As was stated....1000 gram cakes and 6 gram "reports" are now part if 1.4 "pro". The standard has been around for several years but just now products are coming meeting the new "standard.

Scotty Rockets
12-26-2022, 01:27 PM
It’s in the recent APA revision. I’m personally not on board with this, it’s completely unnecessary to do great shows. Currently those items are at highway robbery prices.

Engineer Cat
12-26-2022, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure what the obsession with salutes are. I like the percussion of pro salutes but I don't need them to enjoy a show. I prefer breaks that are colorful with cool effects over just a loud bang. In all fairness thought I was only shooting 1.4 up until this year so it's not like I've had the opportunity to purchase any until this year. I did pickup a 1.4 pro cake last month that has salutes but I'm not sure if I'll use it in my 4th show next year.

I've seen many youtube videos of guys with these crazy big salutes but it's just not an effect I seek out. Maybe as I get the opportunities to shoot more pro shows and they have them I'll understand the obsession, but right now when I hear "salute" I just say "ehhh".

Birdman
12-27-2022, 06:23 PM
I agree with EC. Not sure what the fascination is with salutes, especial smaller salute shells. In numbers as part of a finale is about the only use I would have for them. Generally though, I would much rather see the sky being filled with an effect(s) rather then just creating noise.

esgrillo
12-28-2022, 03:13 PM
I got some dominator 1000g with titanium report 1.4pro cakes delivered already. Have not tried but videos looked good for finale material

Bitzan
12-28-2022, 09:17 PM
I got some dominator 1000g with titanium report 1.4pro cakes delivered already. Have not tried but videos looked good for finale material

Ed, what is the name? May try and find it locally. Thanks.

Matt
12-29-2022, 07:32 AM

PFX5600 - RWB tails to report 100 shot fan
PFX5601 - Howling whistle to report 36 shot fan

Probably one of those. There are some others as well.

esgrillo
12-29-2022, 11:50 AM

Matt is correct, I got both of the ones he mentioned. Be curious if any made them out local. All of them were sold out before the container hit the shore for my supplier lol

Robbro097
12-29-2022, 05:12 PM
PFX5600 - RWB tails to report 100 shot fan
PFX5601 - Howling whistle to report 36 shot fan

Probably one of those. There are some others as well.

I had picked up a case of the 36sh howling whistle to report and tested 1 and the whistle is extremely loud and the reports sound very nice for a 1.4 product. Also picked up a case of the 6/1 and 12/1 dominator 1.4 thunderkings and they sounded very nice the 6/1s are definitely louder but was very pleased with the ones packed 12/1. Will b a nice way of juicing up a 1.4 finale for sure.

joewad
12-29-2022, 05:32 PM
I would like to see a video of the Howling 36 shot if someone can post. I've searched and currently can't find 1. I like to start my finale with a mass launch of howler cakes. Best one was when I started finale with 3 of Lynch's 120 shot Lightning Rod which is 1.3 howler to salute. I'm not confident it will be available this year, it wasn't last year and I need to find a possible substitute. Casabella usually sells 1.4 Pro Dominator so I have my fingers crossed.

Robbro097
12-29-2022, 06:04 PM
I would like to see a video of the Howling 36 shot if someone can post. I've searched and currently can't find 1. I like to start my finale with a mass launch of howler cakes. Best one was when I started finale with 3 of Lynch's 120 shot Lightning Rod which is 1.3 howler to salute. I'm not confident it will be available this year, it wasn't last year and I need to find a possible substitute. Casabella usually sells 1.4 Pro Dominator so I have my fingers crossed.

http://dpfireworks.com/video/PFX5601.mp4
Hopefully this will load for u

Mattp
01-07-2023, 10:49 PM
In the last newsletter so76 sent out ,, it said they plan to have some coming in the spring ,, they called it “hammer” line,, not sure if that’s a brand or their own ,, or just what they were calling it , I like having them as a 1.4 option now ,,, in my opinion it’s almost an essential for a finale,, but I agree,, if I were to just light a few things here and there,, salutes would not be one of them

jamisonlm3
01-07-2023, 11:13 PM
The only thing is all the cakes will be limited to 1g per shot and 25g total so it's got me curious how they're going to work out. Honestly, the big thing for me is the doubling of cakes from 500g to 1kg.

topshelfpyro
01-09-2023, 06:21 PM
Here is the actual standard if you want to read thru it for specifics.....

https://www.americanpyro.com/assets/docs/APAStd871/APA%2087-1C%20Final%20Entertaintment%20Industry%20and%20Tec hnical%20Pyrotechnics%20Standard.pdf

Rick_In_Tampa
06-19-2023, 10:42 PM
I think part of the problem is the APA itself confusing people by stating in their glossary of pyrotechnic terms that 1.4G is "Explosives Formerly known as Class C common fireworks. Items classified as 1.4G explosives are consumer fireworks intended for use by the general public." and then stating in the reference topshelfpyro provided that "This document describes requirements related to Entertainment Industry and Technical Pyrotechnics (EI&T pyrotechnics) classed as UN0431, Articles, pyrotechnic for technical purposes, Division 1.4G or UN0336, Fireworks [for professional use only]."

So which is it? Is 1.4G for consumers or for professional use only? If it's the latter, how do they define "professional use only?" It can't be both.

Scotty Rockets
06-19-2023, 11:26 PM
China no longer exports and ships un0431, devices formerly 0431 are now shipped as un0335 from China. These devices are then relabeled in the US.

esgrillo
06-20-2023, 08:28 AM
I got some of the hammer product and equivalent Dominator. Tested the hammer and is pretty good. Definitely small reports. Will use en masse for finale

Rick_In_Tampa
06-20-2023, 05:56 PM
According to this reference from the APA dated November 2022, AOP is not to be sold to or used by consumers. There is no caveat for "consumers that have been properly trained" either.

https://www.americanpyro.com/fire-service-emergency-response-general-info

Salutecake
06-21-2023, 10:52 AM
They should probably come out with a whole new classification like 1.5 or something and just already make you present a course completion card to purchase it. GTo much confusion, and those who want the pro stuff should have no problem going to takea course to get it.

displayfireworks1
06-21-2023, 04:18 PM
According to this reference from the APA dated November 2022, AOP is not to be sold to or used by consumers. There is no caveat for "consumers that have been properly trained" either.

https://www.americanpyro.com/fire-service-emergency-response-general-info

I do not know if the APA is necessarily a regulatory body , it is more of a trade organization that represents the interest of their members. Just because the variations and performance of the AP products have improved and they become more desirable, I do not see any real change in criteria how they are sold. There are a few ways out there that are currently accepted by some distributors to purchase these AP products. I am fortunate to be one of them since 2018 without incident . The real problem will be the retail outlet or tent sales that ignores any current standard or standards at all.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-22-2023, 10:28 PM
I do not know if the APA is necessarily a regulatory body , it is more of a trade organization that represents the interest of their members. Just because the variations and performance of the AP products have improved and they become more desirable, I do not see any real change in criteria how they are sold. There are a few ways out there that are currently accepted by some distributors to purchase these AP products. I am fortunate to be one of them since 2018 without incident . The real problem will be the retail outlet or tent sales that ignores any current standard or standards at all.

The very first paragraph of that reference states, "In response to requests from numerous government agencies and code enforcement entities, the American Pyrotechnics Association (APA) offers the following clarification regarding Articles Pyrotechnic UN0431, 1.4G and Articles Pyrotechnic UN0432 1.4S, as well as UN0336 1.4G Fireworks, For Professional Use Only."

While they may not be an official regulatory body, they certainly seem to be acting like one.

The problem is, they contradict themselves. 1.4G can't be "consumer grade" and "professional" grade all at the same time. If they want to distinguish the items we call AOP from "consumer" grade effects, as Salutecake said, they should come up wiht a new category. Maybe call them "Accent Effects" or "Specialty Effects". 1.4A or just the 1.4S designation. But they need to quit calling them 1.4G! That's confusing everyone.