View Full Version : Newbie - Extending Talon Ignite Wires

ZacharyB93
12-17-2022, 11:03 PM
Good evening everyone! I hope you are all having a fantastic weekend!

As you all know, I've been asking a lot of questions, trying to learn, and tonight is no different.

Having recently asked about firing systems, my next question is how to extend the wire on your ignition sources, such as E-match, and Talon igniters. Most of these come pretty short, just a couple of feet long, so I'm curious how to lengthen them, and what type of wire to use.

Also, if you know of any additional tips concerning this topic, feel free to share. Thanks!

Robbro097
12-18-2022, 02:14 AM
https://electricmatch.com/pyrotechnics/see/4/5/duplex-wire usually has the best price i usually use 22g for long runs or many matchs and 24g for shorter runs. Iv also been in a pinch and used doorbell wire or alarm wire 22g solid copper

Engineer Cat
12-18-2022, 01:13 PM
I've tested MJG initiators on 1000ft spool of Mohawk Cat6 which is 23AWG and Belkin Cat6 which is 24AWG using my Firelinx and they both worked. Although there will never be a situation where I need to extend an initiator that long. I install data cable so I had them to play with and was just curious if it would work. But I do find using cat6 or old Cat5e useful for extending initiators 20 feet or so. Since there are 4 pairs of wires in it that are color coded it's pretty easy to splice into the cable at different positions to utilize all 4 pairs, especially if you are trying to wire up some product in series.

Birdman
12-19-2022, 10:06 AM
MJG initiators come in lengths up to 15'. I typically buy the longest wires available even if I don't need the extra length. One thing I like about the buliscon system is that it uses 4 cue modules. This gives you a lot more flexibility in placing your mods in your show layout. Becuase of this I didn't need to use longer wires. With proper planning it should be rare to need to run a wire longer than 10-15'. In the rare cases I needed a longer wire I always keep some used MJG's around and reuse the wire by cutting off the spent initiator and splicing the wire to the new MJG. I don't use Talons because I hear of far too many issues with them.

If you are not aware you can wire to cues in parallel or series to fire more than one MJG from a single cue. I believe you can also sync your modules to the same channel/cues on your buliscon remote so two or more cues on separate modules will fire at the same time. Again, with proper planning you should be able to maximize the number of items you can fire with limited cues and possibly completely eliminate the need to extend wires.

ZacharyB93
12-19-2022, 10:23 AM
Where are you getting your MJG initiators from?

PyroJoeNEPA
12-19-2022, 12:22 PM
You can use Scotch [or China brand equivalent] UR, UG, or Beanie connectors to add extension length to your initiators to get the length you need.646464656466
The red UR is for three wires--you only need the Yellow UG 2 conductor type.If you need 100% failsafe for a show & have the time to use them, they are awesome. We used tons of them ffor our "one shots" when we did our show at PGI both in 2013 & 2016, and I have used thousands of them in the past for audio when I had my sound system installation business. The crimping pliers is around $12.00 on ebay. The "beanie" connectors work well also, but I prefer the UR style.

Robbro097
12-19-2022, 01:51 PM

Cobra has the best price and used to beat any listed price lower. I get mine from American Wholesale Fireworks with the discount tier im in its the same price as cobra is but since i pick up from them i avoid hazmat shipping charges.

Arclight
12-19-2022, 02:24 PM
You can use Scotch [or China brand equivalent] UR, UG, or Beanie connectors to add extension length to your initiators to get the length you need.646464656466
The red UR is for three wires--you only need the Yellow UG 2 conductor type.If you need 100% failsafe for a show & have the time to use them, they are awesome. We used tons of them ffor our "one shots" when we did our show at PGI both in 2013 & 2016, and I have used thousands of them in the past for audio when I had my sound system installation business. The crimping pliers is around $12.00 on ebay. The "beanie" connectors work well also, but I prefer the UR style.

These are great, and you can often find a package with the crimpers for cheap. I use these for my blasting business.

Engineer Cat
12-20-2022, 02:19 AM

I usually get them from MJG directly. The price difference between them and Cobra are not significant for the few boxes I buy a year. For others here, who buy by the pallet, it's a big difference. I do buy from Cobra when MJG is sold out cause Cobra is usually sitting on a stockpile.

MJG initiators come in lengths up to 15'. I typically buy the longest wires available even if I don't need the extra length.
I always keep some used MJG's around and reuse the wire by cutting off the spent initiator and splicing the wire to the new MJG. I don't use Talons because I hear of far too many issues with them.

I also do what Birdman is saying here. These are the type of little things you learn from here and just experience over time.

You can use Scotch [or China brand equivalent] UR, UG, or Beanie connectors to add extension length to your initiators to get the length you need.

Joe those are in my pyro tool box but I recently picked up these duplex connectors. $10 for 150 pieces on amazon. 6472They are reusable but cheap enough to not collect them after a shoot if being lazy. FYI I usually don't collect them. :) I used them at our club shoot in Sept.

Cobra has the best price and used to beat any listed price lower. I get mine from American Wholesale Fireworks with the discount tier im in its the same price as cobra is but since i pick up from them i avoid hazmat shipping charges.

When I order from MJG or Cobra they ship via USPS. Shipping is like $10 for a box but there's no hazmat charge. It could be location and quantity tho that brings this into play.

From MJGs website.
All firewire have to ship US mail Parcel post(5-10 business days delivery time) you can chose to send it fedex ground, however it will ship as dangerous goods, and fedex will charge and additional $50.00.

BMoore
12-21-2022, 10:24 AM
I'm getting a little off topic here, but my biggest piece of advice to you would be to seek out some shooter training or course you could attend. Cobra is having a convention called Cobracon in Muncie, IN this spring that will have seminars and hands on training that would be excellent for you. You might even consider trying to get on with a display company and work some professional shoots. From a technical perspective and more importantly a safety perspective, nothing beats hands on training with professionals.